Understanding How Much and What to Eat

Options
Hi Everyone! I'm a newbie to MFP and so far I am really loving this resource that I have so readily available to me. I am faithfully tracking my caloric intake along with my daily exercise.

It's been a long time since I have exercised so I am starting off slowly. At the gym I do about 30 minutes of cardio followed by an hour of strength training. This usually results in a 400-500 calorie burn. If I can't make it to the gym, I do Wii Fit at home for about an hour, burning about 200-300 calories.

My problem is that every single day I don't have enough calories after exercise! My daily intake is listed at 1200, but with exercise, that bumps it up. I'm usually about 200 calories shy of my goal, sometimes it's more significant though. How important is it that I find some way to work those calories into my diet? I have a goal of about a 2 pound loss each week.

If it's vital that I get those calories in, what are some good options for me? At the end of every day, my protein, fiber, and sugar are always above the levels they should be at. Carbs and fat are routinely under the level. If anyone has any suggestions for me, I would really appreciate it. I'm feeling a little bit lost and I want to make sure I continue down this path on the healthiest way possible.

Replies

• DanOhh
    DanOhh Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Don't forget to snack. Try healthy snacks like fruits and mixed nuts.
  • LaTerri
    LaTerri Posts: 42
    Options
    Jay Robb Egg White Protein powder - choc or vanilla
    mix with water, drink between meals or with your snacks. = 120 calories, 24 protein, drink 2 a day

I just like Jay Robb, you can get any powder though

I usually drink one with a low sugar fruit like blueberries and 6 almonds between bfast and lunch, another after lunch and before dinner without fruit or nuts, then another after dinner. It keeps my protein up around 150 a day so I can stack on some muscle and take off more fat.

Good luck