What to do with dried soup mix?

Options
mazdauk
mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
Mu husband succumbed to a bargain offer on French onion soup - five packets which make enough for 4 people. But we're not fond of onion soup:noway:

What can I do with this? Any casserole/slow cooker recipes etc? NB for our transatlntic MFPers this is not the same as Lipton soup mix as far as I know, this is werhe you add water like a great big cup-a-soup:smile:

Replies

• Meg_78
    Meg_78 Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    Apricot chicken, something like this, though I usually used breast and put ribboned zucchini in there too...and serve with rice and some green veg
    http://allrecipes.com.au/recipe/8312/shannon-s-apricot-chicken.aspx

Though there are tons of other recipes.
  • Laura_beau
    Laura_beau Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Hi

A few UK based ideas:

Add half the liquid required to make a thick sauce and add a knorr rich beef stock pot (or an oxo or two) and use as onion gravy.

-Add said onion gravy to shepherds/cottage pie filling

-or add a can of mixed beans, some chopped tomatoes, herbs and sausages and make a sausage casserole.

-Add to a slow cooker with some braising beef (or pork), some herbs and a glug of red wine and make a stew (add other root veggies like carrots, swede, onions etc).

-Add it to lean beef mince, carrots, peas and beef stock and top with herby dumplings, oven bake until crusty to make minced beef cobbler.

-Add white wine, tarragon and a dash of cream/creme fraiche and you have chasseur sauce. Serve with pan fried chicken breast, lardons & shallots.

-Add lots of crushed plack peppercorns for a steak sauce.

- or a stroganoff sauce add chopped garlic, mushrooms, onions, pinch of paprika, soured cream and fresh chopped parsley. serve with rice & beef/chicken/pork/turkey.
  • nakiarhall
    nakiarhall Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Turkey burgers
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    My favourite way to use it is to mix it with either sour cream and mayo or some greek yogurt. It makes a great chip dip, or a veggie dip. Mix half a packet for each 1 cup or sourcream/mayo/yogurt you use. You can also mix it with greek yogurt and than some milk for a greak dressing!

My mother uses it when she makes turkey or chicken. She rubs butter/margarine or oil on the top of it and than sprinkles the soup mix on it.

I have also used it to mix with veggies. I mix it with some oil (not much of either) and than sautee the veggies with it. I have also used it when making burgers... mix a bit into the meat before forming patties. For already made patties I have just sprinkled it on top of them. Mixed with mayo it's a great burger topping or sandwich spread.

Mix it with some oil for a marinade for meat. Steak, chicken, pork etc. I do this with steak or chicken before my husband BBQs it. I mix it with some water and add it to BBQ sauce and pork in the slow cooker for pulled pork (I do the same with chicken breast too).

TONS of uses for it!!!!
  • SweetlyVague
    SweetlyVague Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I usually find ways to create sauces or dry rubs for meats!
  • rsmclaurin
    Options
    I have used onion soup mix with baked diced potatoes.

Dice potatoes, then coat with a tiny bit of olive oil and mix in the onion soup packet. Bake at 400 for about 35 minutes, or until soft all the way through.
  • jinglett
    jinglett Posts: 69
    Options
    I shake it over a pork roast in the crock pot and add a little soda or beer for liquid. Let slow cook for the day and enjoy. You can add in potatoes and carrots too if you want to have a whole meal in the pot. I use other grilling packets over chicken to create precooked chicken in the slow cooker. I do not add the oil. Just a little liquid...sometimes it's broth, sometimes it juice. It just depends on what I have around. I really love the onion soup over a pork loin roast though! Can put the roast in frozen even....no preplanning needed.
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the ideas - Laura you're a Diva!!!!! I am now sooooo hungry:bigsmile: