Calling all Tall Girls!!

Options
Hey ladies...I am a 37 year old, 5' 10" mother of 2. It's been hard for me to be motivated because little weight loss doesn't show. Hard when my shorter friends see results with the same loss and I don't.

Have you noticed that it takes at least 10 lbs. to notice a difference in your body? Or is it just me?

Also, if you have successfully taken off 10+ pounds what was your exercise regime?

Replies

• skyler8937
    Options
    I am also 5'10" and I have seen the best results with walking and Zumba.

I HATE running and my chiropractor actually told me to stay away from it since it's not a passion of mine. He says the hard pounding is bad for my back & knees. Which was fine by me because I don't enjoy it at all.

I think Zumba & walking has worked for me because they keep me interested and keep me motivated because I enjoy them. I'd much rather walk for 60 minutes while chilling with my music than barely making it through 15 minutes of running.

My husband is total opposite, he loves to run and would much rather hit the pavement for 30 minutes than do Zumba or walk for long periods of time.

I guess what I'm saying is, the exercise that works best for a tall girl, is the exercise that she enjoys & what motivates her and challenges her. :-)

Good luck!
  • Xianpu27
    Xianpu27 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I can totally relate! I'm 5'9.5" and I've lost 31lbs and sometimes I don't feel like there's that much difference at all :sad: I know there is, because my clothes fit differently but it's definitely not as dramatic on us as shorter ladies. I think when I lose all the weight I want to I will be down two sizes in total which doesn't sound great but it will be awesome for me!

As for exercises, I agree with Skyler... find what you enjoy! I've been doing the Couch to 5k program 3 times a week and lifting heavy weights (NROL4W program) 3 times a week too. I've seen a fantastic change in my body since starting the heavy lifting, it's incredible.

Good luck to you! :flowerforyou:
  • aschmidt679
    aschmidt679 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I am 6'1 and had to lose at least 20 lbs before I started noticing a difference in the way I looked (I've lost 74 lbs now and believe me you can see a difference!) Just remember that there are other factors to focus on: how your clothes feel, measurements, how you feel physically, etc. Sometimes even 5 lbs can make a difference in how you feel, so don't short change yourself on your accomplishments!!! As for exercise, I am all over the map. During the colder months, I have been running and dancing, now that it's getting warmer I will start swimming again, and I weight train year round. Most important, don't get discouraged. It will take longer to show when it comes off, BUT us tall girls wear our weight better than our short counter parts do!
  • drchimpanzee
    drchimpanzee Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    In for tall girls :)
  • BeautifulVirgo
    BeautifulVirgo Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    5'11 and loving it!!!!!
  • lindsyrox
    lindsyrox Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Just shy of 6ft here, and i agree, it took nearly 20lbs before i really noticed a change. I do a lot of running, mt biking, hiking, etc. but I'm hoping to start doing weight work and getting more toned. I've had back problems in the past so staying strong and healthy is super important, being laid up for a month on pain pills sucks! And being tall usually predisposes you to back problems (at least when you get older)...

feel free to add me!
  • Linli_Anne
    Linli_Anne Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'11, well, today I'm probably closer to 6'2 with my heels.

I can relate to how you feel like it takes us longer to see the weight loss than it might on others.

I've lost 14 pounds to date, but my body has really changed shape due to weight training etc. I started in a very tight 12, some 14s and am now wearing 10s comfortably and even have 1 pair of 8s. These changes have all been from exercise, I don't feel that my eating habits have changed too much.

Remember that you don't walk around with a scale on your back. A scale is not the only way to track and meausre progress and success!
  • Ramberta
    Ramberta Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9", and the first thirty pounds I lost back in 2009 came off with dieting alone. That was when I was almost 300 pounds though, so I had a lot to lose.

However, after some slight rollercoastering with my weight in the past four years, I have now lost another 25 pounds by taking long walks (2-3 miles or more) 4-5 times a week, and doing other simple home exercises such as push-ups, crunches/planks, lunges, jumping jacks, etc. And now, because I find my loss is slowing to a crawl (less than 1lb/week), I'm eliminating days where I purposefully allow myself to net over on calories after exercise. I can have "cheat meals", but only within my calorie goal.
  • PriceK01
    PriceK01 Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'10" and started MFP in October at 160lbs. I'm just about at first goal of 135. Along with watching my calories and increasing my protein, I've been exercising an average of 3 days a week. I workout at home, and do a mix of calisthenics, pilates, resistance, and dumbbell work. I'd like to start with heavy weights now that my weight is down and the weather is warmer. My diary is open if you'd like to take a look :)

And yes, it took at least 10lbs of loss before anyone noticed.
  • AlexT29
    AlexT29 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'11" and have only lost 7 lbs so far, but have lost 6 inches from my waist. I pay more attention to the tape measure than the scale. It has been difficult to see a difference because i wear my weight so well, but I've already gone down a pant size.

I do a variety of exercises. Stationary bike, kick boxing, lifting weights, etc. When it warms up I plan to start running again, but right now I'm doing jm's ri30 program. No matter what your height is, do what you enjoy and dont be afraid to try new things.
  • Celeigh12
    Celeigh12 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I'm 6ft and it takes a lot of weight loss to show on me too. Or to drop a size. That part is more frustrating than the scale to me!
  • sjwright66
    Options
    5'7 and I'm noticing a pretty good difference at 11 lbs lost.
  • StacyCond
    StacyCond Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I am 5'9" and the first person to notice that I lost weight was my Grandma! I was surprised, because I went from 204 to 194 in my first week of losing weight! I started on a Monday, and she noticed the following Sunday :).

For everyone else though, no one really started saying anything until I got to about 175... and now that I'm at my goal of 135, it seems like more people I know are comfortable approaching me about the weight I've lost because it's extremely noticeable.

I think people weren't comfortable commenting on my weight loss until there was a more dramatic change in my appearance.
  • ChristinaD2
    Options
    Hello! I'm 5'9" and I can relate to what you're saying... As of today, I have lost 18 lbs. I can, finally, see a difference and my clothes, that were previously snug, are now fitting noticeably more loosely on me. However, I have yet to go down a size (i.e., pants). I fully expect that I'll need to hit a 25 lb. loss before that happens. I seem to lose from 'top-to-bottom' anyway :) My exercise regime has mostly been cardio, combined with a 1200 cal. daily limit. (When I reach a 20 lb. loss, I plan to "up" my daily calories a bit, even if it means losing at a slower rate.) Feel free to send me a friend request, if you're looking for additional encouragement!
  • mygrl4meee
    mygrl4meee Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    Personally I think its an advantage to being tall. We carry the weight well and most would be surpized at how much I weighed. Well, anyways, when I started at 272, doing mostly walking or elipical but it really kicked started my change in my looks when I started zumba. I am slowing down on it now cause I have challenged myself to do couch to 5k. As far as others noticing my weight loss. I think it was in the 20 to 30 range. By the way. I am 5 10
  • Naomi81378
    Naomi81378 Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    :( I wish I was tall. I am only 5'4".. :(
  • sindikumva
    Options
    I'm 6'1 and I am lucky-ish because I lose weight in my face first. This means that I can drop 2 pounds and people notice ... but then they don't really see any substantial change until I drop another 10-15.

That being said, we really shouldn't be complaining about our genetic superiority. My fave is when I am running next to a short girl on the treadmill and I can lope along at 8mph while she looks like a duck (legs spinning crazily to keep her up)
  • Sweetsugar0424
    Sweetsugar0424 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'10.5"...I've lost 45 lbs, but I've lost more than 15" off my waist and about 12" off of my hips in the past 14 months. You don't have to lose a ton of weight to see noticeable changes if you are toning things up. I started in a size 18 and am now between a 10 and 12, hoping my last 5 lbs (4% BF) will get me in to a 10 comfortably. I weight lift 3x/week and have done so from the very beginning and then I also do 2 days of some sort of aerobics class, whether it be kickboxing, step or a spin class.

I have seen pics of people who have lost a lot more weight than I have, but their loss isn't anywhere near as noticeable as I feel that mine is and I've had tons of comments about my loss and it continues...people actually say I'm fit now which I still have a hard time thinking of myself as.
  • raisingemilyjune
    Options
    I'm 6'0" and it takes way more than 10lbs to see a difference in me physically.
  • beatleschic87
    beatleschic87 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I hear ya!
    5'9" (a hobbit in comparison to some of you ladies) I have lost 13 lbs and I notice a difference but only cuz I see myself in the buff every day. Still waiting for that "Have you lost weight?"