Replies

• meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    Bump because i am learning lots
  • SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    I started with a personal trainer in January for the same reason, plus I was so scared to injury myself (I'm kinda a klutz).

My first session was on Jan 1st and I was so swore even a week later. I could barely walk! My second session was on the 11th and It was better but I still hurt a lot, this time it took a few days before I was feeling better. I talked with my personal trainer to figure out what I can do to help the recovery time.

She told me:
    Stretch before and after workouts
    Eat something high protein low fat within a half an hour of finishing the work out.
    Drink lots of water, dehydration can cause muscle ache on its own
    Take glutamine powder immediately after a work out. It aids in recovery
    Take a hot bath with epsom salts to relax muscles
    Stick with it and your muscles will get used to working out

Now it is rare I hurt much, and when I do it isn't more than one day.

Or, people can just start slowly, give their bodies time to adapt, and in 3-4 weeks they can work out hard without feeling destroyed for 4-5 days.

Don't need any supplements, baths, complicated eating schedules, etc. Saves time and money.

And they end up right where you are now--usually just as quickly.

(Not picking on you--just on bad training practices).

I also thought it was a bad idea to stretch pre-lifting - warm p first, excercise then stretch after warmdown.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    The only thing I can say is that is just a ton of volume, with mostly redundant isolation exercises. Beginners (and all lifters really, but experienced lifters already know this) should have a core of compound lifts. You have 1 in there, and it's a seated press. Do them standing up and help build your core too.

A back day without deadlifts? 5-6 different lifts for shoulders, which are a small muscle group? Multiple row/pulldown/pullovers to work every angle but no barbell rows?

This type of routine is how people get discouraged and quit.

As a beginner, I wouldn't even consider a split routine where you are doing back/shoulders on 1 day, and then whatever else they have you doing on other days. Full body with compound lifts will get you better results in a more efficient manner.

Deadlift
    Standing Military Press
    Lat Pulldowns/Chinups and/or barbell rows

Hit those lifts good and hard and they will do everything that laundry list of exercises will do, with better effect.

I know it's the standard response, but look into the 5x5 type of program. It's really a nice program for beginners/intermediate lifters. Even for more experienced lifters, it has everything you need to make gains. Tell your trainer you want to learn proper form on squats, deadlifts, bench press, overhead press, and barbell rows. If they can't help you, find someone who can.

Great advice.

IMO this routine makes next to no sense considering you're classified as a beginner... 33 sets!? You do not need 5 exercises for shoulders which are a smaller muscle group then back. Also, they are nearly all isolation exercises.. you will get more bang for your buck with compound movements.

Gotta agree with both of you. Too much volume, too many iso's, too much redundancy. Not a very efficient routine.
  • sgrinavi
    sgrinavi Posts: 80
    Options
    Does your trainer have a good track record? Did you ask them about their success stories? Do they typically train people of your age/experience/gender?

I too am a CFT and group instructor. Personally I like to keep it around 24 total working sets, but other than that it looks solid albeit slightly advanced.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    is your trainer teaching you deadlift, squat, and bench press form ...if not, get a new one...
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I know she changed the exercises she gives me than what she gives most other new clients because of my back. I have severe scoliosis, so maybe that is why she doesn't have me doing some of the things suggested here? Like I said, I am a very true beginner and have never lifted weights before so I don't know a thing about them. It just seemed impossible while I was doing it, after only doing the heavy reps one time I just can't imagine doing them 3 times in a row! If it is normal though I will just keep plugging along. The legs day didn't seem nearly as bad, though 3 days later I am just now able to sit without wanting to cry!

My back is F-ed and I have no help to offer other then some inspiration:

Barbie-Barbell (not me) I suggest you look her up, she seems to be doing fine with weights.

uRGUVLfbaakcHLKvKhAGBjHtaCeVAaGwJzKo.jpg
    " I was diagnosed with acute scoliosis at the age of eight. The doctors wanted to place me into a Halo brace, which is major surgery where the doctors drill bolts into the skull and insert steel rods down the length of the spine, and finish it off with a corset looking device to keep me from twisting. I was also born with cleft feet and had to wear leg braces for the first 2 years of my life just so that I could learn to walk properly." - http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/894293-ladies-weight-lifting-will-make-something-bulky
    VCeTeOxeLQOjuIyjokaJCmnDOCDfnaNjFRkR-610xh.jpg
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    I hired a personal trainer for 8 sessions so I could learn how to lift weights. I have done cardio and don't need any help with that, but weights was just too confusing for me to figure out by reading about it. So I hired her. I am in so much pain from my first two sessions with her I can't even explain it, I'm sure that's a good thing though.

My question is the amount of reps she has me doing. It just seems like a lot from different things I have read. And I just don't know how I am going to do that many as the first two sessions were more just teaching me, so I didn't even do 1/2 of how many she wants me to be doing, and I could hardly do it. I know for a fact I won't be able to do how many reps she wants me to do at the weight she wants me to do it. Of course when I told her that she does the whole "Yes you can! We ARE going to do it, you can't give up, blah blah blah"

Anyway, I will just give you an example of day one:

Back And Shoulders

Close Grip Lat Pull-downs 8 reps light weight, 5 reps med weight, 8 reps heavy weight x3

Standing Lat Press 5 reps med weight, 8 reps heavy x3

Lying Dumbbell Pullovers 5 reps med weight, 8 reps heavy x3

Seated Single Arm Rows 3 sets of 8 reps each arm, heavy

Low Back Extensions on Ball 10 reps x3

Seated Shoulder Press with Bar 8 reps light weight, 5 reps med weight, 8 reps heavy weight x3

Upright Rows with Bar 5reps med weight, 8 reps heavy x3

Dumbbell front raises 8 reps each arm 3 sets light/med/heavy

Dumbell side raises 5 reps med, 8 reps heavy x3

Rear Delt Cable Rows 3 sets, 8 reps each arm heavy

Dumbbell shrugs 5 reps med, 8 reps heavy x3

So since I have never ever done any kind of weights I really have no idea if this is normal or not? The 3x's of 8 reps of heavy is just hard for me to wrap my head around. Since I only did the one rep and could hardly do that I just don't see doing 3 reps of them! Will I just get better?

Seems good to me. Are you looking for a reason to quit which is why you are asking this question?

well, arent you a peach.

I like starting strength or stronglifts.
    http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/The_Starting_Strength_Novice/Beginner_Programs
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I don't have a problem with the amount of sets and reps. The weight may be too heavy tho.

I do, however, have a problem with the total amount of work. 6 exercises for back and 6 for shoulders for a beginner is crazy time. I'd cut that in half immediately. Maybe even 75%. As a general rule, when I'm working with a complete beginner, I cut the work down to almost nothing for the first couple weeks. You're going to be unbelievably sore no matter what we do so I try to keep it to a minimum.
  • Admiral_Derp
    Admiral_Derp Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    I don't have a problem with the amount of sets and reps. The weight may be too heavy tho.

I do, however, have a problem with the total amount of work. 6 exercises for back and 6 for shoulders for a beginner is crazy time. I'd cut that in half immediately. Maybe even 75%. As a general rule, when I'm working with a complete beginner, I cut the work down to almost nothing for the first couple weeks. You're going to be unbelievably sore no matter what we do so I try to keep it to a minimum.

tumblr_m7p2l6mcOj1qfomllo1_500.jpg
    While I personally like Stronglifts and Starting Strength, What Dav said makes tons of sense. Go extremely light until you get your form straight, build up from a lighter start, and get ready to be sore. With time, you'll wear it like a badge of pride.
  • Admiral_Derp
    Admiral_Derp Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I know she changed the exercises she gives me than what she gives most other new clients because of my back. I have severe scoliosis, so maybe that is why she doesn't have me doing some of the things suggested here? Like I said, I am a very true beginner and have never lifted weights before so I don't know a thing about them. It just seemed impossible while I was doing it, after only doing the heavy reps one time I just can't imagine doing them 3 times in a row! If it is normal though I will just keep plugging along. The legs day didn't seem nearly as bad, though 3 days later I am just now able to sit without wanting to cry!

Barbie-Barbell (not me) I suggest you look her up, she seems to be doing fine with weights.

" I was diagnosed with acute scoliosis at the age of eight. The doctors wanted to place me into a Halo brace, which is major surgery where the doctors drill bolts into the skull and insert steel rods down the length of the spine, and finish it off with a corset looking device to keep me from twisting. I was also born with cleft feet and had to wear leg braces for the first 2 years of my life just so that I could learn to walk properly." - http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/894293-ladies-weight-lifting-will-make-something-bulky

Never get tired of reading about her.
  • SarahMorganP
    SarahMorganP Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Does your trainer have a good track record? Did you ask them about their success stories? Do they typically train people of your age/experience/gender?

I too am a CFT and group instructor. Personally I like to keep it around 24 total working sets, but other than that it looks solid albeit slightly advanced.

She has many before/after pictures and stories in her salon/gym. Her before/after pics of herself are crazy. She is the exact same age as me, and it seems like a lot of the people she has trained are around the same age, though it seems like more of them are much older.

Here are the other two days:

Legs: she has me doing 3 circuits,

Circuit 1

Squats 10 reps
    Forward Fold Stretch
    Stretch side to side

Circuit 2

Squats Med weight (she had me holding a 20lb kettlebell) 10 reps
    Forward Lunges light weight 10 reps each leg, she had me doing these with no weights right now
    Lying Hamstring Curl 10 reps each leg
    Standing Calf Raises 10 reps each leg
    Lying Side Leg Raises 10 reps each leg

Circuit 3

Horizontal or Angled Leg Press 10 reps each leg, light weight
    Calf raises in the leg press 10 reps

Then the other session is for Biceps/Triceps/Chest/Abs

Circuit 1

Barbell Bicep Curls 8 reps light weight, 5 reps med, 8 reps heavy x3 (for heavy she had me at 50lbs)
    Barbell Tricep Extensions 8 reps light weight, 5 reps med, 8 reps heavy x3 (for heavy she had me at 50lbs)
    Bench Press 8 reps light weight, 5 reps med, 8 reps heavy x3 (for heavy she had me at 50lbs)
    Abs Ball Crunches, Lying leg raises, bicycle crunches 10 reps x3

Circuit 2

Dumbell Bicep Curls 5 reps med, 8 reps heavy x3
    Dumbell Tricep Extensions 5 reps med, 8 reps heavy x3
    Incline dumbell chest press 5 reps med, 8 reps heavy x3
    Repeat Abs
  • SarahMorganP
    SarahMorganP Posts: 921 Member
    Options

Thank you, I will read about her. :)
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Atho it's not a routine I would personally do or recommend to someone, there's nothing inherently bad about it. If you like the trainer and wish to stick with him/her, ask them to modify the routine so that you are doing a lot less work (read: less exercises per bodypart) for the first month. The amount of weight you lift will most likely take care of itself. You'll be surprised how much stronger you'll get early on. It's more about your body teaching itself how to react to lifting heavy weights as opposed to actually developing muscle.
  • DADDY_DRKN3SS
    Options
    Your trainer is trying to kill you.

From what I have read, start off with as much weight as you feel comfortable with. Do as much as you can, and the next time you try, do more. If you can only do 3 reps out of 10 right, its better to stop there then it is to do them wrong. I like to use this website as a guide (www.nerdfitness.com) because I started out where you are with no weight training experience what so ever and now I am able to actually do pull ups.
  • brettwelker84
    Options
    I give my clients a week or two to get their form down. All these cues they learn the first day, they hear for monthes, even I have to constantly remind myself of proper form constantly. I would never just dive into heavy weight training with a previously inactive and unknowledged client with the ambition to learn the art of weight training. I like my clients, and want them to come back. But then again, when I worked in a club, they would hire literally anyone as a trainer at a busy gym. Learn, Dedicate, Inspire, Conquer!
  • Mock_Turtle
    Mock_Turtle Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    That's way way way too much volume, too much time, and too many ****ty isolation exercises for a beginner.

Your trainer sucks and is doing you a disservice.

Since you have already paid the money I would ask/demand that she teach you good form on the main lifts - squat, bench, deadlift, and press.

That way you at least have learned good form and then can take that knowledge with you when you start working out on your own.

Honestly if that was truly the first ever day you lifted weights I wouldn't be surprised if you couldn't even raise your arms above your head the next morning without grimacing.
  • Cat_Lifts
    Cat_Lifts Posts: 174 Member
    Options

Circuit 1

Barbell Bicep Curls 8 reps light weight, 5 reps med, 8 reps heavy x3 (for heavy she had me at 50lbs)
    Barbell Tricep Extensions 8 reps light weight, 5 reps med, 8 reps heavy x3 (for heavy she had me at 50lbs)
    Bench Press 8 reps light weight, 5 reps med, 8 reps heavy x3 (for heavy she had me at 50lbs)

This alone has me cringing for a "beginner" routine. Drop the trainer, find a new one IMO. That is way too much weight to start with, not to mention the amount of reps included in 1 set alone. Like another poster stated, your trainer is a f*cking moron to start you so heavy and so much at a beginning weight.
  • darwinwoodka
    darwinwoodka Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Pick up a copy of "Body Sculpting Bible for Women" and save yourself the cost of the trainer.

Or get a better trainer...

Basically for a lower weight you should be doing more reps, at a higher weight you do fewer reps. And if you have a bad back you shouldn't be doing back extensions or leg raises.
  • chardi7
    chardi7 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Ditto...strong lifts 5X5 is great...especially for beginners.
  • danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Options

curls with 50lbs and tricep extensions with 50lbs on day 1? Could you even do a single rep? And if you can't do all of the reps, did she allow you to lower the weight? There is no way you should be doing those to lifts while benching 50lbs too.

To me, heavy tricep extensions + no experience = impending tendinitus and discouragement.