Three big meals, or lots of small snacks?

Options
2»

Replies

• missjennifer1966
    missjennifer1966 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Rather than 3 big meals, I have about 6 small(er) ones. It keeps me from giving up and gorging.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Hey all! Just curious. MFP has the option to add as many as six meals with different names, even though the default setting is three meals and a snack. So I was wondering- how do you guys eat? I eat six small meals a day. I can't eat a lot at one time (My family always makes fun of me on Thanksgiving) but a few hours after I eat something small, usually my 200-300 calories, I'm hungry again. I consume the same amount of calories as most, just scattered throughout the day. Anyone else eat like this?

Just do whatever works for you. It doesn't matter very much how you you time or partition your meals.
  • JossFit
    JossFit Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I eat one meal and no snacks

i like your approach. i do intermittent fasting so it's as if i'm eating one big meal. i fast 17-20 hours and my eating window is anywhere from 4-7 hours. sometimes it's like i'm just eating for 4 hours straight. 1400-1500 calories in a 4 hour window is tough but a crapton of coconut butter, nuts, cheese, fatty cuts of meat and full fat yogurt seem to do the trick.

in case anyone asks, i eat this way because i cannot handle eating lots of small meals multiple times a day. i feel like i'm being teased. nibble here, nibble there...then all i'm thinking about is food and meal timing. so i decided to just cut all that drama out of my life and just bang it all out in one "meal" so to speak. it works for me at least...couldn't shift an ounce with the multiple meals approach. since i've started this way of eating, i've lost over 4kg.

^This :)

I just started doing IF because I never feel satisfied eating 6 small meals a day, even though I've been doing it for like 7 years! My eating window right now is 7 or 8 hours and during that time I have 3-4 moderate sized meals. In the future I may go to a smaller window and larger meals within that window, but for now I'm enjoying doing it this way.
  • SweetestLibby
    SweetestLibby Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I'm a constant snacker and I have boredom hunger- it's one of the reasons I gained a lot of weight. So to combat this I eat little and often. I have my 3 meals but there smaller so I can add 3 to 4 snacks. I eat a total of 6 to 7 times a day.
  • xoyasminxo
    xoyasminxo Posts: 132
    Options
    I've tried different eating time frames and for me 3 melas and a possible snack works for me. Do what works best for your body. And I also try not to eat 5 hours before I go to bed.
  • Kaylaef
    Kaylaef Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I eat. All. Day. Long. But I still have to have 3 meals that at least resemble a breakfast, lunch and dinner.

This is where I am. On days when I strength train I'll have breakfast, post-workout snack, morning work break snack, lunch, afternoon snack, dinner, and sometimes a little extra bowl of cereal for some added fiber. Most of my meals are around ~200-300 calories, and I still generally stick within my calorie budget for any given day (1500 cals/ ~1700 when I strength train). I also usually eat slightly larger meals when I go for long walks or bike rides, eating back most of the exercise calories.

In between my regular meals, I'll have sugar snap peas, mandarin oranges, greek yogurt with nuts, or other snacks like that to keep me feeling full.

I'm glad I'm not alone! Three of my meals kind of resemble breakfast, lunch and dinner, but I'm always eating snacks. :)

Yep. To keep me feeling satisfied I probably eat something every hour and half until about 7pm. then I am done. I like to have my biggest meal, sometimes getting as high as 600 calories for 'dinner' because I find thats when I am the most hungry and it prevents me from over snacking later on!
  • jchite84
    jchite84 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I eat every 2 hours between 8 am and 6 pm giving me a total of 6 meals. I drink water every hour. The regulation helps keep my calories in check (I am really never hungry), and helps keep my metabolism flowing steadily through the day. The downside is that since I am accustomed to eating this way I get pretty cranky when my schedule gets off, so this makes me super fun to be around on road trips and family get gatherings that don't conform to my eating schedule.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I have 3 medium meals and snacks in between..

Unless i'm starving then I might hav a big meal..

or not hungry.. then I might skip a snack...

Pretty much.. I eat all day.. My co workers are always commenting that my desk sorta looks like a kitchen. LOL

I listen to my body and control my calories by picky healthy foods to nosh on.

Thanksgiving doens't count.. If you don't roll home you didn't celebrate.. LOL
  • tomg33
    tomg33 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I usually eat 3-4 times a day. It doesn't really matter as long as I stay within my macros. Find an eating plan that fits your lifestyle.
  • JonathanBB
    JonathanBB Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Do what works for you. I eat a banana before my morning workout; then breakfast; snack around 10:30/11 (yogurt/nuts/fruit); lunch around 12:30/1:00; afternoon snack (fruit/nuts); dinner around 7; sometimes a late evening snack. I have portion control issues and the snacking keeps me from getting too hungry and overeating and I especially watch portion control at dinner. But that is what is working for me now. Do what works for you.
  • SweetlyVague
    SweetlyVague Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I generally have the typical breakfast, lunch and dinner and then snacks in between. Breakfast is usually my biggest meal calorie wise (be it a homemade protein shake or an actual meal) and my lunch is smaller, and my dinner the smallest. Then I have all my snacks. :)