feeding families - splitting the calories

Options
Flab2fitfi
Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
I was wondering how others split up the calories when they are cooking for a family.

I tend to be feeding myself, hubby, son who has a large child portion and two who have very small potions.

I weigh out everything and then tend to divide by a third and then add a bit more on to mine.

For example when I'm cooking rice I'll put 200g in a pot knowing i'll have 75g and give the same to hubby and the rest gets split over 3 kids.

Replies

• mommyshortlegs
    mommyshortlegs Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    If using a recipe, I will enter that recipe into the MFP database using realistic-for-me serving sizes (determined by factoring in calorie, fat, and carb content, for example). If preparing rice, as another example, I will use the specifically stated serving size (1/2 c. cooked). I prepare food according to serving size even though Husband may in fact eat 2 servings and Toddler will barely touch a 1/2. If we have leftovers, fine, that's one less meal I have to prepare later. ;)

For you I might suggest the same, simply preparing enough food to accommodate the estimated appetites of your family, perhaps 1-2 servings for your husband, 1 for yourself, 1 for your son, and 1 serving split between the 2 younger children, or 5-6 servings total.

And apologies if my sleep-deprived brain has seemed to miss your question entirely. ;)
  • angieroo2
    angieroo2 Posts: 973 Member
    Options
    For something like rice, I will use a measuring cup for my portion and scoop that on my plate. Otherwise, I determine "serving sizes" for a regular serving for myself and would use 1/2 serving for someone only eating half the amount I am.
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    I thinking more along the lines of how you would split a pack of mince etc - obviously when you have made spaghetti Bolognaise its impossible to measure the individual items after cooking - I do weigh everything going into the pot.

For example i'm doing stew tonight and have used 400g of beef and have logged it as 160g which is just over a third. Most of my meals are cooked from scratch and dont follow a recipe as we have so many food intolerances/allergies in this house.