Why do people ask for help but keep their diary's private?

Options
2»

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Because it's none of your business?

When they ask they kind of make it other people's business. OP is talking about situations where someone specifically asks for help, not randomly checking people's diary.
  • nytius
    nytius Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Like some have said, I think alot of people might not know its defaulted to private.

That being said, you won't last on MFP forums for long with a soft hide (literally). If you are bold enough to ask the whole community about your plateau, you might as well open up the diary too. If your diary doesn't reflect the truth or you know thats where the problem lies...just don't ask publicly, message someone on your friends list instead. Everyone is not kind or even helpful in the world and this is also true here at MFP. Those of you who are helpful to beginners like me, please try to remember that we are not all as familiar with the app as you are and things you see as "obvious" could be less so to the rest of us. That doesn't make us not genuine about wanting the help, just new.
  • BlueObsidian
    BlueObsidian Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Because it's none of your business?

When they ask they kind of make it other people's business. OP is talking about situations where someone specifically asks for help, not randomly checking people's diary.

I agree with this completely. I have my diary private, but I'm also not coming onto the forums asking for advice. When someone posts "What am I doing wrong" but gives no information about their eating habits, it's hard to give them useful advice.

In general, I think keeping a diary open or closed is a very personal decision and really no one else's business. But if you're looking for advice, it's important to give people something to work with so they can help.