All Newbies ~ C'Mere

♥seoid♥
♥seoid♥ Posts: 476
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
Just a tid bit.....you must eat ALL of your calories that are set for you. AND if you exercise you are suppose to eat those calories you earn too. If you DON'T you are putting your body into starvation mode and you WILL NOT lose weight. So please don't think by eating less and exercising more that you will lose weight quicker, it just won't happen.

That is all.

Oh and welcome to MFP!!!!

Replies

• pipinana
    pipinana Posts: 2,356 Member
    SERIOUSLY. Best advice EVER for a newbie... =) Happy logging all!!!
  • 8turboturtle8
    8turboturtle8 Posts: 239 Member
    Whew...I have been seeing som scary stuff out there too!!!
  • bluexiii
    bluexiii Posts: 36
    Just a tid bit.....you must eat ALL of your calories that are set for you. AND if you exercise you are suppose to eat those calories you earn too. If you DON'T you are putting your body into starvation mode and you WILL NOT lose weight. So please don't think by eating less and exercising more that you will lose weight quicker, it just won't happen.

That is all.

This isn't always 100% true. Starvation mode takes much more than a few days of not quite meeting your calorie goals. If you eat less than your target after exercise by just a couple hundred calories for a couple days out of the week, your body isn't going to go into starvation mode.

Eating exercise calories works for some people, and doesn't for others. It all depends on the individual. For me personally, on days that I work out (6+ miles with either 2 hours of strength training or 2 hours of martial arts classes 4 or 5 days a week) it is impossible for me to eat all those exercise calories back, I normally finish 500+ calories short of my "goal" during the week but have lost weight fine.

For others this might not work.

Really, coming on here saying that all people need to eat exercise calories or they just flat aren't going to lose weight is the "newbie" thing to say.

On that note, I am really getting tired of 20+ topics a day being written about how much of a problem "starvation" mode is. 95% of people complaining about it are using it as an excuse to eat more (and probably bad) things. Go to a third world country and then come back and talk to me about "starvation"
  • ♥seoid♥
    "On that note, I am really getting tired of 20+ topics a day being written about how much of a problem "starvation" mode is. 95% of people complaining about it are using it as an excuse to eat more (and probably bad) things.

Gesh ~ seriously ~ an excuse to eat more???
  • ♥seoid♥
    and you're right....it doesn't work for EVERYONE......but it does for most of us on here.....so.....
  • Fabulocity
    Fabulocity Posts: 157 Member
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
    Hi there!
    Your words are a great reminder for everyone---not just newbies.
    Thanks so much for sharing!:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
    Warm regards,
    Fabulocity
  • ♥seoid♥
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
    Hi there!
    Your words are a great reminder for everyone---not just newbies.
    Thanks so much for sharing!:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
    Warm regards,
    Fabulocity

well thanks honey.....:flowerforyou:
  • Malia725
    Malia725 Posts: 6
    I'm pretty new and for ME, eating my exercise calories does not aid in my quest to lose weight and it never has. For ME it's not so much what I eat but HOW MUCH of it I eat. If I want ice cream, I eat ice cream...but, I'll eat a 2-3 spoons (not scoops) instead of a bowl full and that satisfies my ice cream "craving". The same goes for any other not so healthy food that we all get cravings for. For ME, I can eat whatever I want, just not ALL of it :tongue: I tell myself this and it works! You just need to find out what works for you!!!!
  • Fabulocity
    Fabulocity Posts: 157 Member
    "On that note, I am really getting tired of 20+ topics a day being written about how much of a problem "starvation" mode is. 95% of people complaining about it are using it as an excuse to eat more (and probably bad) things. Go to a third world country and then come back and talk to me about "starvation"

Gesh ~ seriously.

I bet more people on here agree with me, more than they do you.

Let me just add my two cents to this.
    I was in starvation mode...Guess how I found out?
    My trainer and my medical doctor were both concerned about me given how I exercised and worked to eat healthy.
    I was referred to a registered dietician--who said that I wasn't eating enough calories.
    So, while I agree that it does depend on the individual and their matabolism and lifestyle, your comments are right on point.
    As I stated before. Thanks so much for sharing. I, for one appreciate your comments.
    Have a fabulous day everyone!
    Warm regards,
    Fabulocity......:heart::heart: :heart:
  • fearlessfatty
    fearlessfatty Posts: 206 Member
    thanks for the reminder (and it also stops the daily posts where newbies are wondering that very thing)
    i agree with where the aggressive poster was trying to come from, but you were being nice to explain the premise to people and yes, starvation is a problem but so is obesity, which is where this site comes in.
    thanks for your helpfulness and for the aggressive people who love to work out, you shouldn't be the punching bag. that's what a gym is for. :heart:
  • fearlessfatty
    fearlessfatty Posts: 206 Member
    also, 92% of all statistics are made up. lol
  • nikki87
    nikki87 Posts: 5
    I'm pretty new and for ME, eating my exercise calories does not aid in my quest to lose weight and it never has. For ME it's not so much what I eat but HOW MUCH of it I eat. If I want ice cream, I eat ice cream...but, I'll eat a 2-3 spoons (not scoops) instead of a bowl full and that satisfies my ice cream "craving". The same goes for any other not so healthy food that we all get cravings for. For ME, I can eat whatever I want, just not ALL of it :tongue: I tell myself this and it works! You just need to find out what works for you!!!!

This has also worked for me!!!
  • LycraLegs
    LycraLegs Posts: 62 Member

That is all.

This isn't always 100% true. Starvation mode takes much more than a few days of not quite meeting your calorie goals. If you eat less than your target after exercise by just a couple hundred calories for a couple days out of the week, your body isn't going to go into starvation mode.

Eating exercise calories works for some people, and doesn't for others. It all depends on the individual. For me personally, on days that I work out (6+ miles with either 2 hours of strength training or 2 hours of martial arts classes 4 or 5 days a week) it is impossible for me to eat all those exercise calories back, I normally finish 500+ calories short of my "goal" during the week but have lost weight fine.

For others this might not work.

Really, coming on here saying that all people need to eat exercise calories or they just flat aren't going to lose weight is the "newbie" thing to say.

On that note, I am really getting tired of 20+ topics a day being written about how much of a problem "starvation" mode is. 95% of people complaining about it are using it as an excuse to eat more (and probably bad) things. Go to a third world country and then come back and talk to me about "starvation"

VERY well said.
    I understand the point of the thread, and that you should not undereat every day or long term, but such uninformed genralisms are dangerous to us non medically trained people. Happy to see a rational and fact packed response.
  • AprilChampion
    AprilChampion Posts: 184 Member
    i actually DONT eat my exercise calories. i tried it and it doesnt work for me. i actually GAIN weight when i go over my regular calories. Through my trainer, i am on a 1270 cal a day program. I eat 6 small meals a day and keep the meals AROUND 200(ish) and sometimes, with working, taking care of my girls, homeschooling my oldest daughter, taking care of my house, going to the gym and everything else that i do, sometimes i just dont have time to eat them all and i normally only get around 1000 cals in me. and that works for me. With as active as i am, there is NO WAY that i would have time to eat EVERY single calorie that this site tells you to eat. I think one time, after i logged in EVERYTHING i did that day, it told me that i had to eat 3400 CALORIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i would have had to eat ALL DAY to cover that. My trainer said that, when i told him about the exercise calories on here, it was bull****. He works out heavily and told me that even HE doesnt eat that many calories. i think that number #1 first and foremost, that no one should eat as many calories as a WEBSITE tells them to do unless a DOCTOR or Dietitian or nutritionist tells them to eat. and Number 2, i think, and ive said this before, for ME, myself and I, the exercise calories are bull****.
This discussion has been closed.