How do you get past the treadmill??

Options
I love running outside. I do SO Much better running outside. I can go farther faster than on the treadmill. But since I live in a northern climate, my outside running days are few and far between. So I have a treadmill. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad to have the option. But I'm having either a mental issue with it or ??? But I can barely keep up to a 12 min/mile for 2 miles on a treadmill, but outside I can't slow DOWN to a 12 minute mile for 2.5 miles! How do I get past this mental block on the treadmill so that I can keep my endurance up?

Replies

• YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    Bundle up and run outside. Otherwise, do you atleast have access to an indoor track? Anything is better than the dreadmill
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Ugh! I hate the treadmill.

Try interval training, HIIT, changing your music playlist often.

All these things, I find make the treadmill slightly more bearable.
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Well, since you technically aren't "moving" when on a treadmill, in order to pass the other treadmill you will need to get off, pick up your treadmill and carry it in front of the other treadmill.........

Oh wait, you were talking about something else.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    EASY!, just walk right on by and grab a whiskey!
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    I don't run, period. Treadmill OR outside. I would rather jump rope. =P
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Get a HR monitor and set your pace by it. That way the intensity on your body will be the same regardless of the environment.

For most of your easy runs you shoud be at 75% max heartrate and below.
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Bundle up and run outside. Otherwise, do you atleast have access to an indoor track? Anything is better than the dreadmill

Oh it's not a matter of bundling up...it's more a matter of the ice. I don't even mind the snow! But right now we're in the midst of melting and then refreezing on all of our streets and sidewalks.
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    put a tv or something in front of the treadmill with your favorite tv show on. time will fly just like that!
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I too "run" faster outside rather than in. I usually interval the treadmill.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

Oh it's not a matter of bundling up...it's more a matter of the ice. I don't even mind the snow! But right now we're in the midst of melting and then refreezing on all of our streets and sidewalks.

Bingo^
  • tjphelps73
    tjphelps73 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Emotionally do you feel the treadmill is more restricting than the outdoors in your freedom? Suggestion - make sure treadmill is placed by a window for outdoor scenery, cover up the treadmill buttons etc., put in your running music, and start running.
  • Jerrypeoples
    Jerrypeoples Posts: 1,541 Member
    Options
    maybe once i hit 200 i will start on the treadmill but for now i use the elliptical.

1 hour on the weight loss settings (do it twice since it is a 30 minute program)

ipod nano with a heavy dose of golden earring, pearl jam, faith no more, iron maiden and alice in chains
  • KittieLea
    KittieLea Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    Try HIIT. You can do 15-20 minutes and that time goes pretty fast since you're constantly having to stop and start. I HATE the dreadmill too, that's why I haven't been on one in WEEKS!

Good luck!
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    When I lived in Oregon where it rained 10 months out of the year, i just had to dress for it. I had to invest in cold gear and get out there because I also would not go as long on the treadmill, it's boring.
  • _DaniD_
    _DaniD_ Posts: 2,186 Member
    Options
    I'm the same.. I started running on the treadmill last winter at about a 10.5 minute mile, then when spring came and I stared running outside to my surprise I was running 9.5 minute miles.

I just cannot run as fast on the treadmill..don't know why, but I can't.

ETA: I stick with easy on the treadmill and challenge my pace more when running outside. I don't even bother trying to work on my pace on the treadmill anymore, it's too frustrating.
  • msrootitooti
    msrootitooti Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    For me, i either do speed intervals or hill intervals.. that seems to help a bit..
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options

Ahhh...well then...ice skates :smile:

On a serious note, you just have to suck it up. I blast my music even louder or I switch things up and do some intervals or something until I can get back outside.
  • Dee_84
    Dee_84 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I second interval training on the treadmill.
    It's much easier to run 1-2 min at a high speed and then either run really slow or walk for a couple minutes.
  • SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    I have run outside, but I cannot bring myself to go on a treadmill, ever.
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    I love running outside. I do SO Much better running outside. I can go farther faster than on the treadmill. But since I live in a northern climate, my outside running days are few and far between. So I have a treadmill. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad to have the option. But I'm having either a mental issue with it or ??? But I can barely keep up to a 12 min/mile for 2 miles on a treadmill, but outside I can't slow DOWN to a 12 minute mile for 2.5 miles! How do I get past this mental block on the treadmill so that I can keep my endurance up?

I run outside a couple times a week (weather permitting) and on a treadmill a couple times a week, so I can relate, although the treadmill doesn't "bother" me like some people. Even if it gets a bit boring, I have a really good, motivating playlist that I listen to.

Run at the slower pace but put your treadmill on a slight incline to imitate the uneven terrain you'd encounter outside. Even if you're running at a slower pace, you can build up your endurance by doing longer, slower runs.
    You can also mix things up by doing interval training on the treadmill.