elminate reduce carbs or calorie in calorie out theory

Options
I lost 30 lbs two years ago and gained it all back in one year. Now here I am again wanting to eliminate carbs because it is fast and my body responds to it. So maybe this time I should just reduce carbs for the most part and stick with working out and calorie in calorie out but protein for breakfast and mostly protein for dinner. Any opinions , advice, success stories, etc would be appreciated. thank you

keri

Replies

• gpizzy
    gpizzy Posts: 171
    Options
    I think this is a great plan. Our bodies naturally respond better to digesting protein. If you adopt a primarily 'clean' food eating principle, than you can't help but lose weight. Minding portion control as well of course. Plus, you'll feel better! You can lose those 30lbs again!
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Which one are you most likely to stick with?

Keep in mind, the initial quick drop in weight when starting low carb is water weight not fat. Yes, it's nice to see mentally but it really isn't progress.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    My body responds to low carb too .... but then I get to maintenance and gain it all back. No low carb for me because I NEED to figure out how to keep weight off while losing it. The weight loss will be slower .... but hopefully permanent.

I'm trying to "rehab" my carbs ..... getting rid of processed junk (more whiole foods)..... I dunno ... we'll see
  • Machafin
    Machafin Posts: 2,988 Member
    Options
    The reason why it didn't work because it is not a longterm solution. Eliminating carbs completely is not healthy, most people hear all of the new "fad diets" to "lose weight fast." While it may lose weight fast, the problem is you cannot stick to that diet long term and be healthy. Focus on more whole wheat, natural foods, and protein like you said. It will be a slower process but you'll learn that eating all types of foods, unprocessed of course will lead you to the best results and keep it off long term.
  • BlackTimber
    BlackTimber Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Calories in - Calories out, is a fact of life but it's not a simple as 10-1=9. It is not a closed system, but it's close enough to do some close guessing. For some, eating fewer carbohydrates reduces hunger between meals, it does for me. There are two factors that are the most important.

1. Eat nutritionally dense food.
    2. Consume less than your calculated TDEE.

Everything else is minor, including the chronic cardio that many here participate in.
  • JessicaOnKeto
    JessicaOnKeto Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I'm on a ketogenic diet, low carb, high fat diet myself.
    And I'm loving it, :love: now that I've been on it a little bit longer, I don't miss the processed or "white" carbs I've eliminated from my diet.
    I try to keep my net carbs (carbs minus fiber) under 20-25grams a day and try to do 65% fat, 30% protein and 5% carbs of my calorie intake :happy:
    My Diary is Public, so anyone and everyone can see what I eat, it may not be the most perfect example of keto/lowcarb, but It's what works for me at the moment everyone and anyone, feel free to poke around/add me if you'd like.
    My success is listed below, and my boyfriend has lost 51lbs on the Keto/lowcarb high fat diet himself (he's been on it longer than i have) so it's been really really successful in our opinion.
    Try to research/read about it first if your still thinking about starting, low carb is NOT for everyone, but it does work out for some of us here. :happy: www.theketogenicdiet.org is a great site to start your research/reading, good luck! :drinker:
  • Terpnista84
    Terpnista84 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Do what you can stick with. Low carb, high fat diet sounds appealing because of the fast results plus you don't really feel like you are dieting when you are eating high fat foods. But for me, I get bored very quickly and they make me unhappy. I just try to eat carbs in moderation. I don't beat myself up if I eat a lot but I'm not eating them at every meal like I used to. For instance, I no longer need to have a starch with my lunch or dinner-protein and veggies are just fine. But I may want to have oatmeal instead of eggs for breakfast every now and them.
  • BarbellApprentice
    BarbellApprentice Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    A couple of things you mentioned are red flags that have nothing to do with the particulars of you macro nutrient choices.

1. You lost weight 2 years ago only to gain it back.
    2. You want to eliminate carbs because it is "fast"

I have been down the road of losing significant weight only to gain it back. I have learned (and am still learning) to find something that works AND something you can do long term. Something that works (short term weight loss) but you can't sustain is pretty much useless. The more simple your plan of attack is the more likely you will get results and adopt as a lifestyle.

The simple weight loss plan that will work for 99% of people.. Create a calorie deficit.
  • qtrhrse1
    qtrhrse1 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your advice. I appreciate it all. The bottom line is consistency for me. I will continue using low carb for my breakfastvand lunch most dsys butbi am going to go with smsrt choices and calorie in calorie out. Thanks again

Keri
  • mryak750
    mryak750 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Its good to figure out your calorie requirements for the day....once you have that...figure out your Lean Body Mass...
    1g of protien per LBM
    .5 fat per pound of total body weight
    the rest of your cals then come from carbs...fruits veggies...brown everything....you know the good stuff...this will allow you to eat
    for example....I net 2100 cals a day...
    1g protien=4 cals
    1g fat=9 cals
    1g carbs=4 cals

190g protienx4cals=760 cals
    115g fatx9cals=1035
    760+1035=1795 and the rest of my cals come from carbs and that gives me about 75g of carbs

carbs at more than 20-25g