CONFUSED! Please help if you have been losing weight....

Options
124»

Replies

• erikacole
    erikacole Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    1.5 lbs a week is too high a goal when you have so little to lose. .5-1lb a week

Please please please before you start slashing your calories try logging consistently.

Why not start with the easy solution first?

I like easy! I will cut it down to a pound a week and see how that is working. Thanks for your help!
  • meanjeann
    meanjeann Posts: 40
    Options
    Another thing that would really help is something like a Fitbit (fitbit.com). You wear it ALL the time and it can tell you your actual calorie burn. That way you can know for sure that your calorie intake is less than your calorie burn each day. This is a great tool if you have the ability to purchase something like this.

Good luck! I've found this to be a great help in my weight loss journey. :smile:
  • DVaughan1975
    DVaughan1975 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Trust the Process....I have to practically live by that little saying. When I joined MFP and entered all my information, it told me I would lose about 1.2 lbs per week. That was January 4th. Here it is March 14th and I have lost 10.2 lbs. I would say it didn't lie to me. I have learned so much since being on here. My mind doesn't understand formulas very well so I just trust what is put in front of me to do. So here are some of the things I did......

1) Get a good food scale and measure everything (I know you're sick of hearing this but it really works)
    2) Breakout the measuring cups and spoons for everyday use
    3) Load up on fruits and veggies at the store.
    4) Log everything....even when you screw up. It' ok.
    5) Learn from your mistakes "Hmmmm....maybe it was those potato chips I ate last night". I have said stuff like this : )
    6) Mix-up the workouts (I do Zumba about twice a week, JM DVD's, jog....whatever it takes to burn calories)
    7) Water
    8) Super foods (eggs, avocados, almonds, berries, green beans) some of these are natural fat burners.
    8) Watch the salt - Try to stay away from processed meats.
    9)Don't beat yourself up. We are only human. I have to live my life in 24 hour increments (in an emotional sense). I can't worry about yesterday or tomorrow....Just today.
    10) BELIEVE IN YOURSELF!!!
  • erikacole
    Options
    Whoa hon, you are WAY over thinking this!!

And you don't HAVE to cut out sugars.

I got help reconfiguring the info! I also agree that I don't have to cut them out completely, but it wouldn't hurt me to cut back on them :) Thanks for your help and encouragement!
  • haliebest
    haliebest Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Since your diary is not public, just curious how your sodium intake generally?

I was having issues losing before. Once I started being more conscious about sodium levels I saw that it made a big difference.

I never let myself go over 2500 sodium, and try to stay around 1500 generally (unless I am eating out- I find it nearly impossible to stay under 2500 when eating out, but it's not very often anyways).
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    I have been tracking my calories on and off now for about a month.
    This is your issue on and off...Be consistant.
  • ChrissieP80
    ChrissieP80 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    You don't have much to lose. Try setting your goal at either 1lb or 1/2lb a week, preferably the latter.

The less you have to lose, the less of a deficit you should have.

I have it set at 1.5 because I have 15 to loose and thought 10 weeks were a good amount.....I would hate to drop that and add 5 weeks to the course!

Thanks for your help!

The important thing here is not to be impatient. If you are hungry and dropping weight at 1.5lbs a week you'll stall out. You need to ask yourself - can you do this forever? Because the last thing you want is to get to some goal weight, go 'yippee' and then go back to eating 'normally' and stack it all back on. I didn't have a lot to lose (15lbs) and it took me about 4 months to lose it.

I also agree re trying to be accurate with your calorie intake and expenditure. I was pretty strict about logging but I felt dreadful and starving at first (on 1200 cals) and then I got a fitbit and realised I was burning ~2000 cals a day (so not 'sedentary' as I had set MFP). Felt much better after increasing cals for a more moderate deficit (I also eased off on the cardio so I burn ~1800 now).
  • erikacole
    Options
    Trust the Process....I have to practically live by that little saying. When I joined MFP and entered all my information, it told me I would lose about 1.2 lbs per week. That was January 4th. Here it is March 14th and I have lost 10.2 lbs. I would say it didn't lie to me. I have learned so much since being on here. My mind doesn't understand formulas very well so I just trust what is put in front of me to do. So here are some of the things I did......

1) Get a good food scale and measure everything (I know you're sick of hearing this but it really works)
    2) Breakout the measuring cups and spoons for everyday use
    3) Load up on fruits and veggies at the store.
    4) Log everything....even when you screw up. It' ok.
    5) Learn from your mistakes "Hmmmm....maybe it was those potato chips I ate last night". I have said stuff like this : )
    6) Mix-up the workouts (I do Zumba about twice a week, JM DVD's, jog....whatever it takes to burn calories)
    7) Water
    8) Super foods (eggs, avocados, almonds, berries, green beans) some of these are natural fat burners.
    8) Watch the salt - Try to stay away from processed meats.
    9)Don't beat yourself up. We are only human. I have to live my life in 24 hour increments (in an emotional sense). I can't worry about yesterday or tomorrow....Just today.
    10) BELIEVE IN YOURSELF!!!

LOVE all your advice! Thank you for taking the time to be so detailed! I am going to print this!!!
  • erikacole
    Options
    You don't have much to lose. Try setting your goal at either 1lb or 1/2lb a week, preferably the latter.

The less you have to lose, the less of a deficit you should have.

I have it set at 1.5 because I have 15 to loose and thought 10 weeks were a good amount.....I would hate to drop that and add 5 weeks to the course!

Thanks for your help!

The important thing here is not to be impatient. If you are hungry and dropping weight at 1.5lbs a week you'll stall out. You need to ask yourself - can you do this forever? Because the last thing you want is to get to some goal weight, go 'yippee' and then go back to eating 'normally' and stack it all back on. I didn't have a lot to lose (15lbs) and it took me about 4 months to lose it.

I also agree re trying to be accurate with your calorie intake and expenditure. I was pretty strict about logging but I felt dreadful and starving at first (on 1200 cals) and then I got a fitbit and realised I was burning ~2000 cals a day (so not 'sedentary' as I had set MFP). Felt much better after increasing cals for a more moderate deficit (I also eased off on the cardio so I burn ~1800 now).

I agree on changing my calorie intake and taking the lose slower.....since I changed it over yesterday, I feel like a weight has been lifted off my shoulders.....I will do this and want to do it right. Because, I am the person you spoke about. Went full speed last year and lost my 25 lbs. Hit my goal, went 'yipee' and then piled it all back on :( You are very very very right!

If I keep the 1300 I will stall and most likely stop. I need to take it slow and steady and think of the beyond the goal lifestyle as well :)

Thanks again for your help!