Strength training schedule?

Options
I've been kicking but with getting my cardio in the last two weeks and really keeping my diet in check, but I'm not seeing the changes that I want to see yet. I know things take time, but I want to make sure I'm doing the best I can do to make progress.

I want to start replacing some of my cardio activities with strength training. Currently I walk 2-3 miles 5x per week, and participate in 5-6 hour long cardio classes (Zumba, kickboxing, etc). I'd like to do 3-4 classes per week, and strength train 3 days per week (I'd still keep walking 5x per week, since I do that on my lunch break).

I just don't know where to start. How do I develop a training plan? Do I do a whole body strength training session 3x week, or work upper/lower/core on different days? Do I do the same exercises every week? I'm ok with figuring out how much weight I should be using for each excercise, but I just don't know WHICH ones I should be doing and for how many reps/sets.

Does anyone know of any sort of ready-made training plans (for women) that I can use to start with? Or advice for developing a training plan? I will add, I can't afford a personal trainer, but do have access to a full gym.

Replies

• tambarke
    tambarke Posts: 5
    Options
    I'd check out either New Rules of Lifting for Women (there's a group), a book that gives a detailed training plan plus some education on why/how lifting works, or Strong Lifts 5x5 (there's also a group for that). Either way, they recommend 3 days of compound exercises using free weights to get the results you want.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    New Rules of Lifting for Women

Starting Strength

Stronglifts 5x5

All these are beginner strength routines.

As far as the classes go I wouldn't do more than two a week. No need to exhaust yourself.
  • Machafin
    Machafin Posts: 2,988 Member
    Options
    Also keep push and pull exercises on their separate days. By this I mean, chest, triceps, and shoulders are all "push" exercises while biceps and back are pull. Don't' forget about legs and most people recommend to train chest and shoulders separate although I do them the same days due to my schedule.
  • sandradev1
    sandradev1 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Definitely agree with Stronglifts 5 x 5, and Starting Strength. Very good beginner's routine and plenty of videos and information free online. There is a Stronglifts for Women group here on MFP that is very active and will answer most of any questions you may have.