Sushi Salad

Options
jonesin_am
jonesin_am Posts: 404 Member
One of my favorite dishes to bring to a potluck is Sushi Salad. It allows me to have something there that makes me feel like I am indulging but is also good for me and not too high in the calories department. AND it's easy!

2 cups cooked brown rice, cooled (or I more recently used quinoa and LOVED it)
1 1/2lbs raw shrimp, deveined and peeled
1/2 tsp sesame oil
1 1/2 tsp canola oil
2 tsp fresh grated ginger (I keep mine in the freezer and use a cheese grater when I am ready to use it, works great)
2 tsp fresh garlic
1 jalapeno deseeded and chopped
3 scallions, green and white parts chopped
1 ripe avocado, diced
1 cucumber, peeled and deseeded
1/2 sweet pepper (I usually use yellow)
1/8 cup low sodium soy sauce
2 tsp wasabi paste

First off, the amount in the ingredients is the original recipe. I ALWAYS add more ginger, garlic, jalapeno, and wasabi! Experiment and add more heat if you so desire.

Heat oils in pan on med-high heat. Add half of the ginger, garlic, half of the jalapenos, scallions, and shrimp. Saute until shrimp are cooked through.

Meanwhile mix together the soy sauce, wasabi, and the remaining ginger and jalapeno and let stand.

Chop the cucumber, sweet pepper and avocado and add to shrimp mixture. Stir in the rice (or quinoa). And then pour the sauce mixture over it and mix well.

Enjoy!!!

Replies

• IamOnMywayNow
    IamOnMywayNow Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Wow! Sounds wonderful! I will try it soon. Thanks for posting!
  • GiseleT88
    GiseleT88 Posts: 17
    Options
    Sounds yummy!
  • mindygeske
    mindygeske Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Sounds awesome.
  • lemongoddess
    Options
    This could easily be made vegetarian/vegan by using just a bit of tofu instead of shrimp, too. Sounds extremely tasty. BUMP
  • jonesin_am
    jonesin_am Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Ohhh, I like the idea of tofu too...you could marinate it in some extra soy/wasabi sauce. Might have to try that next!
  • Ashellini
    Ashellini Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Yummy!