No carbs?

Options
Anyone tried a diet with no carbs have any success stories?'

Replies

• now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    No carbs would be hard to do.

Why cut out carbs from your diet? You can have just as much luck with weight loss consuming carbs.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

Gimmick.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Have done carbs only from vegetables, with limited fruit
    Good for fat loss, but so is a calorie deficit in general
    makes your sweat smell like mr.clean
  • janiedoe14
    janiedoe14 Posts: 117
    Options
    I'm doing a law carb diet right now! A "no" carb diet is almost impossible. I've been on mine for two days and I've lost 3lbs! If you need help I can definitely offer assistance.
  • marypatmccue
    marypatmccue Posts: 521 Member
    Options

Let me just say it for everyone...

NO!
  • cal_73
    cal_73 Posts: 77
    Options
    No way - as low as I go on carbs is about 30% of calories and that is hard.
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Why??:huh:

I just do not get the Carb Hate.:grumble:

Unless you have a medical condition.:ohwell:

I have lost my weight on 40-60% Carbs.:drinker:
  • bradwilson399
    bradwilson399 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You will lose it fast but gain it just as fast when you go back to the way you ate. Do not do a no carb diet, Best is a change in lifestyle to a low carb, your body needs the carbs so do minimal intake and stay that way and you will do great.
  • Foodieamr
    Options
    My nutrutionist has me on this no carb, no sugar diet... aside from the carbs in the veggies that i consume... I don't eat any of them. ON the weekends I am allowed a minimal of carbs and sugar. However, this still means no wheat or gluten. I never was a believe of the gluten fad but if you just eliminate that alone you will see a difference. The first 12 days i lost 6 pounds. You will have a splitting headache for the first week but after that you get used to it.
  • pink_adrenaline
    Options
    Should we be more concerned with carb intake or total fat intake? Ultimately carbs=sugar right? I get that. But what should I be focused on in order to lose fat (and some weight) and gain muscle simultaneously. I am aware I should be eating a lot of healthy foods- I'm working on it. But it's hard to completely cut back on carbs. Almost everything has carbs! I guess the difference is understanding good carbs -vs- bad carbs right?
  • marypatmccue
    marypatmccue Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    I'm doing a law carb diet right now! A "no" carb diet is almost impossible. I've been on mine for two days and I've lost 3lbs! If you need help I can definitely offer assistance.

the body fluctuates 3-5 pounds on a daily basis, depending on... what you ate yesterday, how much water, did you lift? Did you cardio?

Low carb is hard to sustain for the long-haul... just as low calorie is. Making changes for a lifestyle of healthy eating is really the way to go. But I'm with Cal 73... 30-40% carbs, 20% fats, and the rest protein.
  • UnoDrea3732
    UnoDrea3732 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I don't know how no carbs is even possible BUT I follow a low carb lifestyle and I've had great success. You can have success with a "normal" or even high carb diet as well but it truly is about finding what is right for you.

I say play around with it and find something you love but have great success on (given that it has been approved by a physician of course).

Good luck!
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    Fad diets. Oh my. Just eat right. You know how. A combination of all healthy food groups works well.
  • downinaggieland98
    downinaggieland98 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    No way - as low as I go on carbs is about 30% of calories and that is hard.

Exactly. I do try to stay away from processed foods and refined sugars, but cutting out milk, fruit, etc... shouldn't happen.
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    I think no carbs is impossible. You don't get the good carbs, if you want to cut carbs, cut the bad carbs, like pasta, rice, potatoes, breads and keep the good ones, like veggies, and fruits. I cut out the bad carbs and been doing it for a year and I love it. I will have the bad ones once in a while but it's few and far between and don't miss it until the hubby makes it and I have to smell it, then I just leave and tell him it all better be gone by the time I return.
  • DMW914
    DMW914 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Not too sure if you can get away w/no carbs but a low carb (20 gm) diet is usually for people w/high blood pressure, hypertension &/or Diabetics. I'm currently doing a low carb diet due to inflammation in my guts which leads to being insulin resistant which leads to other health issues. hope this helps a little & good luck!
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Should we be more concerned with carb intake or total fat intake? Ultimately carbs=sugar right? I get that. But what should I be focused on in order to lose fat (and some weight) and gain muscle simultaneously. I am aware I should be eating a lot of healthy foods- I'm working on it. But it's hard to completely cut back on carbs. Almost everything has carbs! I guess the difference is understanding good carbs -vs- bad carbs right?

Have a balance of both carbs and fat. Neither will make you fat unless you are over calories.

You need carbs in your diet.. you need fat in your diet. Eat with a mix of carbs, fat, fiber, protein, etc.

Regardless of how many carbs and fat grams you get in your diet you will not lose fat and gain muscle at the same time. You need a deficit to lose fat... deficit causes muscle loss especially if you aren't lifting heavy, aren't consuming enough protein and have a large deficit. You need a calorie surplus to build muscle outside of a lb or two of newbie gains.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    I've been from one end to other. I think it is best to have some kind of carb in the diet - why put your body through the effort of gluconeogenesis when we can get the glucose we need from diet? Starch and glucose were the original fuel source although FAT is our #1 diesel now. I had to cut most of them out to "fix" me on the inside (the healthiest version of the standard american diet was helping me lose weight and become diabetic. And no it's not "genetic" for my. My risk is the same for most of the population (which is an increased risk). I have since "cured" my pre-diabetes. I've also been very, very low carb. It was great for getting healthy but I really have no interest in the long-term because it creates a physiological insulin resistance and then the body can't tolerate carbohydrate at all (I've had seizure from sugar-binging while VVLC). Depending on the state of the body you can increase muscle mass naturally just by eating the right foods.

This is kind of where I'm at now in regards to carbohydrates (I had a fear of all of them but now I look at the nutritional density of the carb and the quality of the carb.:

http://www.archevore.com/panu-weblog/2011/2/5/no-such-thing-as-a-macronutrient-part-ii-carbohydrates-revis.html

See also:
    http://www.archevore.com/panu-weblog/2011/1/29/there-is-no-such-thing-as-a-macronutrient-part-i-fats.html
    http://www.archevore.com/panu-weblog/2009/6/23/the-argument-against-cereal-grains.html
    http://www.archevore.com/panu-weblog/2010/3/12/the-argument-against-cereal-grains-ii.html
    http://www.archevore.com/panu-weblog/2009/8/28/carbohydrates-no-dietary-requirement-but-metabolically-criti.html

Happy reading. There might be more info that you had asked for but I'm always striving to learn as much as I can about evolution, biochemistry, biology, etc. Don't think outside the box. Think about the box.

When your body's metabolism is broken then calories in/calories cannot apply.

http://thatpaleoguy.com/2012/12/19/calorie-rants-and-ketosis-part-1/
    http://thatpaleoguy.com/2012/12/24/calorie-rants-and-ketosis-part-2/

Find out what works best for you
  • Kaylaef
    Kaylaef Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Wine has carbs. so hell no.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options

It is boring.....meat, fat and water.

I was a Zero Carber for about 4 months and then added back in fruit and vegetables. That is now where I get my carbs from.