Low Carb Diet Tips

Options
You should keep your carb intake between 30-50 carbs, 50 being MAX! Stay away from all sugars, breads, pastas, grains etc.

The “YES” foods:
• Vegetables
• Cheese Sticks
• Low carb yogurt
• Sugar free jello
• Atkins bars
• Fish/Seafood: baked or grilled ONLY
• Baked or Grilled meats: the best is chicken (low carb)
• Beef jerky
• Nuts
• Protein shakes (low carb)
• Blueberries
• Pork skins
• 8 oz of coffee a day if needed
• ONLY WATER
• Pickles
• Scrambled eggs
• Bacon
• Hardees low carb breakfast bowl
• Crystals low carb breakfast bowl
• Peanut butter – natural kind
• Turkey or Ham
• Sweet potato (not often)
Boiled peanuts

The “NO” foods:
• Anything fried
• Bread
• Chips, taco shells, etc
• Cereal (I eat a small portion of Special K Protein)
• FRUIT (only okay kind is blueberries)
• Pasta
• Rice
• Soda, tea, etc
• Limit your mayo

Helpful Hints:
Portion control / limit your servings. Only eat 1 serving.
If I have a sweet tooth craving then I eat one pc of dove chocolate (3.8g carbs).
For high weight loss, stay around 30 carbs/day...50 carbs/day TOPS!
You can subtract your dietary fiber from carbs.
Drink at LEAST 8 glasses of water a day.
Cold water is way better than room temp water. It makes your body work harder.
Cardio will increase your weight loss!
Food World has sugar free popsicles & Wal-Mart has low carb fudge ice cream bars.

Always always always read your nutrition labels! :)

Replies

• Kanuenue
    Kanuenue Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    So, um the ONLY "ok" fruit is Blueberries but Atkins bars & beef jerky are "yes" foods?!? That makes no sense to me. There are way more healthy and nutritious ways of consuming a reasonable and healthy amount of carbohydrates while limiting sugars and other processed junk.

Lower carb diets don't have to be missing in nutrition. Even Atkins revised his diet.
  • DBell28
    DBell28 Posts: 45
    Options
    Actually - things like whole grains in breads and pasta are good for you.

yes, you will lose weight going low carb but you will eventually gain it all back once you actually eat a slice of bread

Atkins bars and low-sugar jello had additives that are probably worse for you then eating real jello

Sweet potatoes are great and very good for you.

And actually, cardio helps with weight loss but lifting is ten times better

take it from someone who lost 20 pounds and kept it off for years. I do a high protein, low carb diet but I eat bread and whole grains which are good for you and should be part of a healthy diet.

If you want to add me or ask questions feel free! I have also worked out with trainers and they never had me cut out carbs completely. 50 is too low.

just trying to help by the way :)
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    Sugar-free popsicles and and low-carb fudge bars???!!!
    sugarfree jello?
    fast food breakfast bowls?
    Atkins bars??
    A good chunk of what's on the Yes food list isn't even food. Food doesn't contain ingredients. Food is an ingredient.
    Meat. Ingredient? Meat
    Blueberries. Ingredient? Blueberries.
    Eggs. Ingredient? Eggs

And if you go low-carb make sure you go high-fat (saturated and MUFAs as PUFAs are the most vulnerable to oxidation) as you won't be to do all that chronic cardio with no energy coming in. (Google Chronic cardio)

http://www.archevore.com/panu-weblog/2011/1/29/there-is-no-such-thing-as-a-macronutrient-part-i-fats.html
    http://www.archevore.com/panu-weblog/2011/2/5/no-such-thing-as-a-macronutrient-part-ii-carbohydrates-revis.html
    http://www.archevore.com/panu-weblog/2009/6/23/the-argument-against-cereal-grains.html
    http://www.archevore.com/panu-weblog/2010/3/12/the-argument-against-cereal-grains-ii.html

http://thatpaleoguy.com/2012/12/19/calorie-rants-and-ketosis-part-1/
    http://thatpaleoguy.com/2012/12/24/calorie-rants-and-ketosis-part-2/ (love his thoughts on calories)

Happy reading! :)
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Why?
  • MsJackson5
    Options
    thx i needed the info!:)
  • langsyne
    langsyne Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Sad that fruits are missing from that list. I see lots on the "YES" list that I wouldn't considered food. Ever look at the ingredients in an Atkins bar?
  • Mutant13
    Mutant13 Posts: 2,485 Member
    Options
    Is butter a carb?
  • DBell28
    DBell28 Posts: 45
    Options
    Is butter a carb?

YES!

(but only per the movie)
  • kgoodman0108
    Options
    I really hope no one only reads the original post. Blueberries are NOT the only fruit you can have. Actually, blackberries have even fewer carbs when subtract fiber. Eating low carb does not give you permission to eat a bunch of processed foods that are loaded with sodium. I'll admit, I'm guilty of eating beef jerky and Atkins bars... but I also realize they will have a negative impact on my progress.

Stick to veggies that are leafy and grow above the ground, berries, meat, cheese and eggs.
  • IrishChik
    IrishChik Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Actually - things like whole grains in breads and pasta are good for you.

Actually, no they aren't.

People follow different diets for different reasons.

There are so many reasons as to why so many of us can honestly tell you why whole grains, breads, and pasta are bad for us.

But, you go ahead and eat them.
  • timeformetofly
    timeformetofly Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I do low carb.. I eat this bread and I loose 2 pounds a weeks.. it's what is in the bread.. not just bread..
    Nutrition Facts
    Serving Size 1 slice ( 1.5 Ounces or 36g)
    Servings Per Loaf Approx. 16 (24 Ounces or 1.5LBS)
    Amount Per Serving
    Calories 60 Calories from Fat 10
    % Daily Value
    Total Fat 1.0g 1%
    Saturated Fat 0g 0%
    Cholesterol 5mg 1%
    Sodium 125mg 5%
    Potassium 50mg 1%
    Total Carbohydrate 8g (Total Carbs) 3%
    Dietary Fiber 4g 18%
    Sugars 0g
    (Net Carbs 4g)
    Protein 10g
    Vitamin A 0% Vitamin C 0%
    Iron 2% Calcium 4%
    **Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000-calorie a day diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.

Ingredients: Non-GMO Wheat Protein Isolate, *Oat Fiber, Sprouts of *Kamut, *Spelt, *Rye, *Lentils, *Sesame Seeds, *Millet, *Quinoa, *Amaranth, Organic Cage Free Eggs, Yeast & Sea Salt. (Looking for our Gluten Free Version? Click Here) *Organically Grown
  • timeformetofly
    Options
    Sad that fruits are missing from that list. I see lots on the "YES" list that I wouldn't considered food. Ever look at the ingredients in an Atkins bar?
    I agree I eat REAL foods on my low carb diet.. nothing filled with all that junk.. and the meal are filled with junk too.. I would rather make my own meals, with real food then have all that "STUFF" in it.. a person can take come turkey, broccoli, cheese mix it all together, come up with a meal about like Atkins with none of the "stuff" you can not ever pronounce..
  • timeformetofly
    Options
    Beef jerky? full of salt and nitrates that are cancer causing.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    I eat low carb, target 100g per day and also avoid artificial sweeteners. I edited your list to reflect what I focus on. IMO you include WAY too many processed foods. Eat real food first and foremost.

I also allow myself 1 cheat day per week, so if I have a craving I simply say "add that to the list for cheat day" and keep on going. You are giving yourself way too many options to cheat by having Dove chocolate, popsicles etc readily available. Remove anything with sugar or artificial sweeteners from the house. They are only allowed in on cheat day.
    You should keep your carb intake between 30-50 carbs, 50 being MAX! Stay away from all sugars, breads, pastas, grains etc.

The “YES” foods:
    • Vegetables
    • Fish/Seafood: baked or grilled ONLY
    • Baked or Grilled meats: the best is chicken (low carb)
    • Beef jerky
    • Nuts
    • Protein shakes (low carb)
    • Blueberries
    • Pork skins
    • 8 oz of coffee a day if needed
    • ONLY WATER
    • Pickles
    • Scrambled eggs
    • Bacon
    • Peanut butter – natural kind
    • Turkey or Ham
    • Sweet potato (not often)
    Boiled peanuts

The “NO” foods:
    • Anything fried
    • Bread
    • Chips, taco shells, etc
    • Cereal (I eat a small portion of Special K Protein)
    • FRUIT (only okay kind is blueberries)
    • Pasta
    • Rice
    • Soda, tea, etc
    • Limit your mayo

Helpful Hints:
    Portion control / limit your servings. Only eat 1 serving.
    If I have a sweet tooth craving then I eat one pc of dove chocolate (3.8g carbs).
    For high weight loss, stay around 30 carbs/day...50 carbs/day TOPS!
    You can subtract your dietary fiber from carbs.
    Drink at LEAST 8 glasses of water a day.
    Cold water is way better than room temp water. It makes your body work harder.
    Cardio will increase your weight loss!
    Food World has sugar free popsicles & Wal-Mart has low carb fudge ice cream bars.

Always always always read your nutrition labels! :)
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options

Salt causes cancer? LOL
  • Seattlema
    Seattlema Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I lost 75 pounds doing low carb 6 years ago, will I do it again NO. Why because I gained most of it back. The sure way to keep your weight loss off is to eat things in moderation! My husband did it as well and guess what coming off of it he gain his weight back as well.
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    I lost 75 pounds doing low carb 6 years ago, will I do it again NO. Why because I gained most of it back. The sure way to keep your weight loss off is to eat things in moderation! My husband did it as well and guess what coming off of it he gain his weight back as well.

That's the problem, if you have the mentality that a diet is something that you are going on and coming off of, then you will gain it back. If you are making permanent changes, then you will keep the weight off.

Whoever said beef jerky gives you cancer has obviously never made their own. Totally delicious and you decide what goes in and what stays out.
  • timeformetofly
    Options

Salt causes cancer? LOL
    no LOL not salt nitrated
  • timeformetofly
    Options

That's the problem, if you have the mentality that a diet is something that you are going on and coming off of, then you will gain it back. If you are making permanent changes, then you will keep the weight off.

Whoever said beef jerky gives you cancer has obviously never made their own. Totally delicious and you decide what goes in and what stays out.
    process meats, bacon and jerky, etc.. have nitrates added into them .,. it is a know cancer causing agent. I'm not talking about anything home made or natural...
  • GamerLady
    GamerLady Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Very good starter list. Good post.

Carbquik and Almond flour are always stocked up at my house too :)