guys i feel like crying

Options
13»

Replies

• stines72
    stines72 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    I used to be overweight but I lost a lot of it so now I'm average. Unfortunately i still have a lot of fat on my body and i don't know what to do! I work out regularly and eat healthy but i just can't. get. toned. HELP! what do I do? I wan't to look good in a bikini but my stomach is wider than my hips!
    Lift heavy!!!
  • cebiginalaska
    cebiginalaska Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on the weight loss :bigsmile: but like the other poster's said you need to be eating more 1200 calories a day is probably too restrictive. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/912920-in-place-of-a-road-map-3-2013

This might be a good forum topic for you to read http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/836343-weights-vs-cardio-for-fat-loss
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    You can look for cheap weights on craigslist, or you can do body weight exercises as someone else suggested. lunges, squats, planks, pushups, and dips are all good. There are tons of bodyweight workouts on youtube

And you can do HIIT running workouts too, look up 'fartlek training'
  • mmelaniewalters
    Options
    u burn most calories by exercising the biggest muscles .. so u need to be squatting bench pressing etc etc .. if yr doing sets of 12 -15 you need to go heavier .. no more than 10 reps should be achievable , preferably 6-8 to get max out of yr workout .. also i agree on the HIIT training . that works ! but dont spend hours on treadmill . or hours doing small weights . or thousands of sit ups .. waste of time .
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Have you tried doing some HIIT workouts? They're short, but they're really intense!
  • mmk137
    mmk137 Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    8lbs isn't heavy.

I'm lifting up to 30lbs.

up your protein as well. I have found as soon as I did that and ate less pasta/rice/bread my whole metabolic system changed for the better.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/921892-no-gym-required?hl=no+gym

Check it out.
    She is awesome. And she used youtube videos! :bigsmile:

...and didn't lift heavy
  • csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    I don't know. Is there a way to do HIIT without classes or a video?

As was mentioned before, look it up because there are different ways to do this. You may find one you particularly like.

Generally, however, it's not something you need classes or a video to do. Instead of doing constant-speed cardio, you're doing short bursts of very intense cardio between longer low-intensity periods.

The most basic regimen I have is to run all-out for 30 seconds, then walk or jog for 90. All I need is a stopwatch and somewhere I can run. Generally, my patterns are more complex, but I've been doing this for a decade, now. If the weather's bad or I don't feel like running, I can do the same thing on a rowing machine: go all out for 30 and slowly for 90.

When it comes to "weight lifting", many people here are talking about larger weights than you're using, but I understand you have limited resources.

That being said, you can get results from bodyweight exercises. If you have a smart phone or an iPad, or even money to buy a hardcopy book, you can look into "You Are Your Own Gym" by Mark Lauren. His program, which does come in app form if you prefer, uses items around the house and your own bodyweight and he has built-in progression within the regimen that will help even the most inexperienced beginner. For example, if you are new to push-ups, he has an option where you're stand in front of a wall, put your hands on the wall, and push in that position, which puts much less weight on your arms than a regular push up will. The main reason I use the program is because it frees me up from needing access to a gym or a full set of weights at home.
  • vicrandom
    vicrandom Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    www.nerdfitness.com - has some fun, free bodyweight workouts and suggestions on how to improvise some pieces of equipment. If you have a conveniently structured piece of hand luggage (has a handle that lets you lift it like a dumbell), you can stuff heavy books in there and add to it as you get stronger. Of course, for some of the lifts you're doing now you'd need two - but for some of those you can sub pushups, planks, etc.

You're doing awesome, don't give up.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Lifting heavier weights will not lead to greater fat loss. Now you will not get as strong as you want and you might not achieve hyperthrophy as much, but doing 8 reps will not produce greater fat loss than 15 or 30 reps. Your diet is where you lack. You should probably be eating 500-900 more calories. 1200 calories and being active and young will just increase the ability to catabolize your lean body mass.
  • aaronlawrenc
    aaronlawrenc Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    what do u do as exercise ??

i think she weight lifts.....a lot?