Spin class question....

This class if I am sitting down is not a problem. However when the instructor tells me that I need to stand...my knees aren't really that keen on the idea and I end up having to sit anyways. When I do sit, I make sure I upped the intensity to make sure I am getting the maximum work out. Any ideas on how I can make this more comfortable for my knees?

Replies

• traceytwink
    traceytwink Posts: 538 Member
    Are you new to spin? If so give yourself time to get used to it it's a hard workout and if you need to sit down then do it the more you do the class the easier it will become and you will be standing in no time x
  • stephanieross1
    stephanieross1 Posts: 388 Member
    I think modifying it according to what your capable of is great! The instructor will also be helpful as to how to be more comfortable yet getting the full benefit as well. What are you really worried about your knees? Is it pain? You can take aspirin 30 min prior to working out, they will reduce any pain that you will have and any inflammation, that might help with comfort..
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Get there early and talk with the instructor before class. Have him/her make sure that the bike you are going to use that session is properly adjusted for your body. Not just the seat height, but also the handlebar height as well as how far forward/backward the seat position is. When you're in the standing position on the bike, be sure to spread a portion of your bodyweight to your arms and hands.

Other than that, hopefully you get used to it. And if not, no shame in sitting if you have to sit. Do what you gotta do to get your workout in.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Have your instructor help you with the setup of the bike. I would bet that's the issue.
  • whatjesseats
    whatjesseats Posts: 228 Member
    As others have suggested, have the instructor help you set up your bike before class.

You might also have too little resistance for the standing portions, which can be rough on the knees. It may take a while to find your sweet spot.
  • mdcoug
    mdcoug Posts: 397 Member
    As others have suggested, have the instructor help you set up your bike before class.

You might also have too little resistance for the standing portions, which can be rough on the knees. It may take a while to find your sweet spot.

Ditto this. Make sure you have enough resistance to stand. You might need to play with it a bit, but it's better to have too much resistance and have to sit earlier than have too little resistance and end up hurting yourself.
  • rides4sanity
    rides4sanity Posts: 1,269 Member
    Bike fit is key to spinning so definitely have the instructor check it. The other key component to standing during spin class is resistance. You need to always be in control of the bike, you shouldn't bounce wildly (seated) and the bike should never pull you (standing). Both of these issues are caused by not having enough tension on the bike.

Try this before class...Add enough tension to make it very dificult seated. Stand up and try to pedal. It should be hard, but you should be able to do it. Slowly lower your resistance and find the point at which you can stand and spin with only moderate effort. Have a seat and learn, either by feel or by position on the control, the minimum tension you need to stand and be in control. As others have said, it takes time to find your sweet spot in spin, and we've all been there so no shame in sitting. It is your ride and your workout, do it to the best of your ability and you win every time.

When I started it took me like 8 classes before I could stand for a whole minute. Part of it was finding my rhythym and the right tension, but the other part was deciding I wasn't going to sit down. I've been spinning now for 10 years, teaching for 6 and riding road bikes for 4.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    DEF tell the instructor.