Thoughts on Slim Fast

2»

Replies

• Barbellerella
    Barbellerella Posts: 1,838 Member
    tumblr_lzw1ryhdzr1qiunvpo1_500.gif
  • mssgeni
    mssgeni Posts: 83 Member
    I love me some slim fast. I think something like whey protein is probably healthier, but the new high protein slim fast shakes have a lot more protein and less carbs and sugar... I used to drink the regular ones which kept me full for like an hour, but these babies keep me full until noon. :) It's really convenient for my case since I don't have time for breakfast but I don't want to starve in the morning.

I only see them at walmart though. They must be new... here's the nutrition facts:

http://www.slim-fast.com/products/shakes/High-Protein-Creamy-Chocolate.aspx

Calories 180
    Sodium 260 mg
    Total Fat 9 g
    Potassium 600 mg
    Saturated 2 g
    Total Carbs 4 g
    Polyunsaturated 0 g
    Dietary Fiber 2 g
    Monounsaturated 0 g
    Sugars 2 g
    Trans 0 g
    Protein 20 g
    Cholesterol 15 mg
    Vitamin A 35% Calcium 40%
    Vitamin C 100% Iron 15%
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    I used to drink them when I was free-lancing... Gave up trying to use them as a meal, because I'd be starving again inside 2 hours. For a while I switched to using them as a "tide me over"

Turns out they have about 18g of sugar and not only does sugar prevent the absorption of nutrients, (So I wonder what the difference between the nutrition content and the absorbed nutrition is????/) but it also increases your appetite.

And since I've been eating healthier the ingredient below are kinda deal breakers

MONO AND DIGLYCERIDE
    HYDROGENATED SOYBEAN OIL,
    MALTODEXTRIN,
    SUCRALOSE
    ACESULFAME POTASSIUM
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    I love me some slim fast. I think something like whey protein is probably healthier, but the new high protein slim fast shakes have a lot more protein and less carbs and sugar... I used to drink the regular ones which kept me full for like an hour, but these babies keep me full until noon. :) It's really convenient for my case since I don't have time for breakfast but I don't want to starve in the morning.

I only see them at walmart though. They must be new... here's the nutrition facts:

http://www.slim-fast.com/products/shakes/High-Protein-Creamy-Chocolate.aspx

Calories 180
    Sodium 260 mg
    Total Fat 9 g
    Potassium 600 mg
    Saturated 2 g
    Total Carbs 4 g
    Polyunsaturated 0 g
    Dietary Fiber 2 g
    Monounsaturated 0 g
    Sugars 2 g
    Trans 0 g
    Protein 20 g
    Cholesterol 15 mg
    Vitamin A 35% Calcium 40%
    Vitamin C 100% Iron 15%

High-Protein-Creamy-Chocolate seems to be the only option with only 2g of sugar all the others that I checked were 18g (which is a big bite out of my 25g daily sugar budget.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    I used to drink them when I was free-lancing... Gave up trying to use them as a meal, because I'd be starving again inside 2 hours. For a while I switched to using them as a "tide me over"

Turns out they have about 18g of sugar and not only does sugar prevent the absorption of nutrients, (So I wonder what the difference between the nutrition content and the absorbed nutrition is????/) but it also increases your appetite.

And since I've been eating healthier the ingredient below are kinda deal breakers

MONO AND DIGLYCERIDE
    HYDROGENATED SOYBEAN OIL,
    MALTODEXTRIN,
    SUCRALOSE
    ACESULFAME POTASSIUM

Erm...

OK.

So maybe you can explain how I've lost over 50 pounds by having things like sucralose (Splenda) nearly everyday of my life? :flowerforyou:
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    sugar prevents absorbing nutrients? That's the first time I've heard that.