I need YOUR help! YES, YOU!!

Options
EKarma
EKarma Posts: 594 Member
Well, crap. I've gotta "Current Health Issue in the Media" assignment, and I don't know what to do it about... I'm at a total stand still..

Does anyone know where I can go to look up some "current issues"? Or does anyone have anything interesting for me to research. I'm having a total BRAIN-FART!:sick: :blushing:

Replies

• lick25
    lick25 Posts: 27
    Options
    Is swine flu any help? Thats the most recent thing I can think of.
  • kingnatalie
    kingnatalie Posts: 163
    Options
    Sodium... they are talking about taking control of how much sodium products can have in them.
  • kellykat
    kellykat Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    CNN did a report last night about changing school lunches because kids are getting too fat to fight and join in the armed services when they grow up.
  • schaapj2
    schaapj2 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    The government potentially passing a law that requires all food makers and restaurants to show nutritional information for their food.
  • jlewis2896
    jlewis2896 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I agree on the sodium thing. Or check out the new healthcare bill guideline requiring restaurants to post calorie counts on menus. That's a pretty hot topic right now.
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    The debate on what to serve children in public schools. NYC just recently passed a ban on bake sales, citing that they encourage children to eat unhealthy food. Then they updated the law to include only certain prepackaged goods that were "healthier". However, this list included Doritos, Pop Tarts, and other foods that we on here would NOT think are healthy food for kids. Here's the link from the NY Times... I'm facisinated by how stupid these administrators can be... POP TARTS???? WTF. It's definitely a hot topic for an assignment. The NY Times published several articles about it, if you search.

http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/02/23/no-brownies-at-bake-sales-but-doritos-may-be-o-k/
  • kellykat
    kellykat Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Childhood obesity is being spotlighted as well with Michelle Obama joining the fight against it.
  • quinnybear
    quinnybear Posts: 243
    Options
    the high fructose syrup debate. all those commercials with the people going crazy because someone is about to eat HFCS and then the other person defends HFCS
  • ahertel0214
    ahertel0214 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Do a bit of research on Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution... their main sponsor is Oreo Cakesters.
  • EKarma
    Options
    I totally forgot about the sodium issue that has plagued this country as of late.. Yeah. I saw that on the news the gov is going to start stepping in and putting a cap on things.. yeah yeah.. It's all coming back to me..

I HAVE A PAPER TO WRITE!! Thanks so much everybody!! xooxo:smooched:
  • EKarma
    Options
    Do a bit of research on Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution... their main sponsor is Oreo Cakesters.

Wow! I had no idea that Oreo was behind it.. Isn't it crazy.. It's just like PhillipMorris owns all those "quit smoking" gimmicks.. It's like that company is making money either way you put it... sheesh.
  • courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    Options
    How about childhood obesity?! You can look at Jamie Oliver's plight and I saw an article on msnbc.com just yesterday that was saying that kids being overweight was a "national security threat" because they couldn't pass physical requirements to get into the armed services. FUn!