frustrated!

Options
How long would you say it would take to loose a good 10 pounds? I've been eating 1200 calories a day since january. I cut out soda for the most part (I still have a diet dr pepper about once a week) and i've been exercising 3 to 4 times a week and I've only lost like 4 pounds! I'm just so frustrated because I thought I would have lost at least 8 or 9 pounds by now. I'm 5'4 and 168 pds. Any advice for kicking off the pounds before summer?

Replies

• donyellemoniquex3
    donyellemoniquex3 Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    What's your BMR ?
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    TO lose 10 lbs and keep it off?

10-20 weeks.
  • alyssa92982
    alyssa92982 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Figure a lb per week probably 10 weeks or so
  • ncsubeachgirl
    ncsubeachgirl Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    what is bmr?
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    TO lose 10 lbs and keep it off?

10-20 weeks.

This. And more calories than you are eating, also.
  • LavenderBouquet
    LavenderBouquet Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    You may be eating too little and your body is holding onto the weight. Or it's possible you are gaining muscle, depending on your exercise. Try using this calculator: http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html and then eating 20% below that number for a week or two and see if that works for you. If your worried about upping your calories do it gradually (100/week). Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • albr0271
    albr0271 Posts: 10
    Options
    Ahh I feel the same way, I need to lose about 10 pounds too and it just won't come off! Do more strength and build that muscle! Muscle burns a lot more fat.

But could also be swapping muscle for fat, so be sure to take measurements and don't just focus on the number on the scale.

Have you been eating a healthy 1200 cal a day? Or just your average? If you haven't try getting more of your calories from high fiber, low fat foods like fruits, veggies and lean protein. Good Luck!!
  • tRiNaBeAnZz
    tRiNaBeAnZz Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different. May I ask what exercise you are doing?
  • lilacinfinity
    lilacinfinity Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    You don't have a lot to lose, so the rate you're losing at is to be expected.

A slower loss with some strength training, is going to leave you looking better than more loss on the scales, faster, at the stage you're at.
  • Heather68462
    Heather68462 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I would suggest running, if you are not already, I did not start to lose until I started to run, and I HATE running. Also, is that enough calories?
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    I ran your numbers and came up with a target calorie goal of 1600 calories per day for you to lose 10 lbs in 15 weeks, which is the most sustainable way to do this.
  • ncsubeachgirl
    Options
    I normally jog at least twice a week and doing interval training (jillian michaels 30 ripped in 30 and the toneitup workouts on youtube) now that its slowly getting warmer, I've played tennis a couple of times. So more weight training, then? I could kick that up. I've never been a weight training kinda girl. Thanks everyone!
  • brboydjr
    brboydjr Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Each pound is approx 3500 calories so in order to do a calculation of how long it will take you'll need to know your BMR. 10 lbs means you're shooting for an overall deficit of around 35000 calories. Please don't try and get rid of all 35000 too fast, you don't want to throw off your body's metabolism. Just keep exercising and eating sensibly and you'll be there before you know it.
  • genna510
    genna510 Posts: 1
    Options
    When I get stuck, I try cycling my calories - a day at 1400-1500, and then a day back down at 1200 (sometimes lower, I won't lie. I know, I know. Too low.). That seems to help with the small plateaus.
  • ncsubeachgirl
    Options
    I know, I thought 1200 was too little at first too, but I was really motivated to get into a bikini this summer lol But now that i've been eating 1200 for a couple of months, I'm actually used to it and it fills me up for the day. Should I try and eat more? Or should I keep sticking with the calories since i'm not even hungry anymore?
  • notenoughspeed
    notenoughspeed Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Measurements, take measurements. I once saw a woman who only lost 3 pounds over a year, but her muscle tone was through the roof, and definitely more fit after a years worth of strength training. Like the other said. You could be gaining muscle while losing fat.
  • wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    You need to know your BMR as well as your TDEE. You need to eat below your TDEE but not below your BMR. You can google both of these and there are calculators out there for them (fitnessfrog is one of them). My advice? Be conservative about your activity level during the day on these calculators so you don't over-estimate.

Weight comes off slowly. You didn't put the weight on in a few days and it'll take longer than a few days to take it off. Just be patient. Eat healthy foods, don't over indulge as best as possible and exercise sensibly.
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    Are you only eating 1200 calories a day and still exercising 3-4 days a week? You need to consume a net of 1200 calories or your body thinks it's starving and your metabolism will slow down to prevent it. For example, on a day you do not exercise you should consume 1200 calories but on a day you work out and expend 400 calories you should consume 1600 total calories for a net of 1200 (1600 consumed - 400 exercised = 1200 net). At this level you should expect to lose 1 - 1.5 pounds a week. Watch your sugar, simple carb and fat intake too. Those things don't fuel your body properly and will also take you out of balance. Add lots of vegetables and some fruit, eat lean proteins and whole grains. Diet sodas are diet sabotage because the artificial sweeteners make your body think you just gave it sugar but then leave it wanting more so you get cravings. Good luck!
  • subylove32
    subylove32 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    That sounds about where I'm at - I've lost 4 pounds since January - I mainly stay between 1200-1300 calories a day plus workout 3-4 times a week. I've noticed that my clothes are fitting better though since I've started doing interval training and pilates/yoga. Search on YouTube for POP Pilates - she is AMAZING! You really should research the interval training - a lot of research has shown it to be more health beneficial than endless cardio like running or something along those lines. Just a thought - It's just what I've found works for me. Everyone has to find what their body responds to - But like the others have asked - maybe you're eating too little? Are you eating back the calories you burn? Also, laying off anything made with wheat should help a little as well. Research the book Wheat Belly. Fascinating stuff! Good luck! Keep it up!
  • Flowers4Julia
    Flowers4Julia Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    You may be eating too little and your body is holding onto the weight. Or it's possible you are gaining muscle, depending on your exercise. Try using this calculator: http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html and then eating 20% below that number for a week or two and see if that works for you. If your worried about upping your calories do it gradually (100/week). Good luck :flowerforyou:

Good advice! Basically, you've stalled out, as now your body has learned to live on 1200, which was probabaly well under your BMR, let alone your TDEE. Bodies really do learn to adapt to what we give it.

Do the calculator, see what your BMR and TDEE numbers are and eat just 10-20% below that TDEE number and NEVER under your BMR.

Best of luck :)