Vitamin D deficiency

Options
2»

Replies

• choconuts
    choconuts Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Me too. My level was an 8 at the last check. I'm on my 2nd round of prescription strength Vit D--50,000 IU's a day.

It's becoming more common, because doctors are more aware of it now--and are testing more for it.

I am curious why your doctor didn't prescribe Vit D for you? Mine said the OTC stuff won't help until my levels are normal, and then the OTC can help maintain.
  • Cincypsych
    Cincypsych Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much!,
    Couple things: I live in Ohio so it s difficult to get sun exposure, particularly this winter! I also now tend to get sun poisoning even with light sun exposure.

I am also now wondering why my DR dd not give e prescription vitamin D, I am now on 1000 IU 2 times a day, seems I need more. I see DR in 3 weeks, I will ask.

Thanks for encouragement!
  • missmacsays
    missmacsays Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much!,
    Couple things: I live in Ohio so it s difficult to get sun exposure, particularly this winter! I also now tend to get sun poisoning even with light sun exposure.

I am also now wondering why my DR dd not give e prescription vitamin D, I am now on 1000 IU 2 times a day, seems I need more. I see DR in 3 weeks, I will ask.

Thanks for encouragement!

I'm in Ohio as well, so I understand the complete lack of sunshine we have most of the time! Your doctor may just want to see how you react to that level first and then up if necessary instead of starting you on the highest. Mine did that with me.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options

It's becoming more common, because doctors are more aware of it now--and are testing more for it.

It is also becoming more common because people are paranoid about skin cancer. So they use sunscreens ALL the time and sunscreens prevent the development of Vitamin D in the skin. :frown:
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I take 5,000iu daily
  • jsiricos
    jsiricos Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Its not lack of sun.

Im in Virginia, where we get plenty of sun, and until I lost weight (and got COLD!) I lived in short sleeved T shirts.

And yet, I had a Vit D level of 13...

Dr put me on 50,000 a week, since then, I take Prenatal vitamins, (advised to as they are more complete than any complete vitamin out there) plus more Vit D, - Bloodwork came up beautiful so I must be doing something right :)
  • Cincypsych
    Cincypsych Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Its not lack of sun.

Im in Virginia, where we get plenty of sun, and until I lost weight (and got COLD!) I lived in short sleeved T shirts.

And yet, I had a Vit D level of 13...

Dr put me on 50,000 a week, since then, I take Prenatal vitamins, (advised to as they are more complete than any complete vitamin out there) plus more Vit D, - Bloodwork came up beautiful so I must be doing something right :)

So can you tell me how long it took to get your levels back up to par?
  • jsiricos
    jsiricos Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    For just the D, about 4 months on prescription, I could tell when they were working as I'd have boundless energy the day I took them.

Non prescription OTV Prenatals, I feel good ever day, that only took about 3 - 4 weeks to get everything straight