Spicy Bean Burgers (Vegetarian)

Options
HappyHungryHealthy
HappyHungryHealthy Posts: 121 Member
Hi. Basically, I found a tin of mixed spicy beans in my cupboard and thought of bean burgers. I've never eaten beans before, other than baked beans and I don't really want to eat them as they are, so was wondering if anyone had any bean burger recipes, that don't involve a lot of ingredients and are easy to make.

Replies

• tekwriter
    tekwriter Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    Sorry I would have to google recipes. Perhaps crumbs and eggs added to the mashed beans.
  • sugboog29
    sugboog29 Posts: 630 Member
    Options
  • pippishortstockings
    pippishortstockings Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Black bean burgers are GREAT!! They are a yummy way to get protein without getting all the grease and fat from regular burgers. Here is a basic recipe from Happy Herbivore, one of my favorite bloggers:

Ingredients

15 ounces black beans, drained and rinsed
    2 tbsp ketchup
    1 tbsp yellow mustard
    1 tsp garlic powder
    1 tsp onion powder
    ⅓ cup instant oats
    Instructions

Preheat oven to 400F. Grease a cookie sheet or line with parchment paper and set aside. In a mixing bowl, mash black beans with a fork until mostly pureed but still some half beans and bean parts are left. Stir in condiments and spices until well combined. Then mix in oats. Divide into 4 equal portions and shape into thin patties. Bake for 7 minutes, carefully flip over and bake for another 7 minutes, or until crusty on the outside. Slap into a bun with extra condiments and eat!

Here is the link to the webpage: http://happyherbivore.com/2011/08/easy-black-bean-burger/

I hope you like them!!
  • daisydress
    Options
    I'm in love with a vegan cookbook called Cookin' Crunk. I don't have it nearby, but I think the author's name is Bianca Phillips, and she has a blog by the same name (Cookin' Crunk). She has a pretty awesome recipe for black-eyed pea burgers that would probably work with any bean. My hubby claims he hates black-eyed peas, but he LOVES these burgers. And since it's vegan, there's no egg - less fat!
    Also, if you have lots of them, spicy beans are great in veggie chili.
  • babsmoran
    babsmoran Posts: 29
    Options
    bump
  • Seoul11
    Seoul11 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    These are amazing!

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/guy-fieri/morgans-veggie-patties-recipe/index.html

Seriously one of my favourite recipes ever. Everyone in my house prefers them to actual hamburgers most of the time.

They do take a lot of ingredients and prep work, but it's so worth it. You can use any kind of beans you want, as long as they have a similar texture, and any sort of veggies you like (just be conscious of the volume you use). It is also kind of annoying that is uses 1/3-1/2 a can of each bean, so I generally double or triple the recipe, then individually wrap each leftover uncooked patty and freeze it. Cooks up really well and quickly from frozen and you don't have to thaw them first. Always great to have something easy and delicious around the house.
  • HappyHungryHealthy
    HappyHungryHealthy Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! They all sound really good! Can't wait to try them out now! :)