Is it okay if I don't eat all day....

Options
Okay so my brothers birthday is next week and everyone is talking about going to the buffet (i know very supportive family) I don't want to go and blow off all the hard work I've been doing. So should I not eat all day and just wait until dinner so I can have "more" or what do you guys recomend?

and P.S. no sticking to the salad bar side is not gonna work with all that temptation. lol

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Buffets usually have a lot of pretty healthy options. Try and be strong? lol good luck!
  • AnabolicKyle
    AnabolicKyle Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    should "you" depends if you have a ED and/what caused your weight gain in the first place.

can a human eat most of his/her Cal once a day, yes.

good luck, OP! remember your goals!
  • AllAboutThatTreble
    AllAboutThatTreble Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    It might work against you. I know that when I don't eat all day by the time I do get to eat, I'm super hungry, and tend to not make healthy choices and I end up overeating every time.

Why not try to eat some light snacks throughout the day to keep yourself from becoming too hungry? Like try having some soup before going out to fill you up so you can make rational choices when you get there.
  • traceytwink
    traceytwink Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    If you don't eat all day you are more likely to eat more at the buffet, eat normally and maybe add in a good workout before you go then eat those cals too, go for the healthy options but don't cut everything out you can eat what you want just don't overload your plate then the next day get right back on it, we are all human after all so one day off isn't going to hurt you, a good trick to help you eat less is to put your cutlery down between mouthfuls bet you won't eat half as much then cos your food will have time to register with your belly, have fun ????
  • Revonue
    Revonue Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I would say, no. Just try to choose healthy and low-calorie but filling options before going to the buffet. Even if you go over your calories, one day won't hurt you. It happens sometimes.
  • jfan175
    jfan175 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Lot's of people here (including me) don't eat until the afternoon. It helps keep calories in check, and gives the digestive system a nice long break.
  • icandowhateveriputmymindto
    Options
    Yes. You're going to a buffet where you spend money to eat all you can. If you're not going to do that, then what's the point of going? Also you'd be consuming more calories if you were to eat all day and then eat at the buffet too.

I think that you shouldn't eat all day and then just eat at the buffet. You won't eat forever either, so you'll probably get around your calorie goal by the end of it.
  • CongoClark81
    CongoClark81 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    You need to eat something even if its small.
    I went out last Friday so I had a Protein Smoothie for Bfast and an Energy Bar for lunch. Come dinner time I was definitely hungry but I didn't pig out, filled up quickly and still managed to stay within my daily calorie goal. Even enjoyed a few cocktails! It was worth it! Doing it again tomorrow! Good Luck
  • ValleyNikki
    Options
    One day will be fine , just make it a 'cheat' meal not a cheat day & try not to go overboard even tho its a buffet . Take the time to actually enjoy your plate even with all of the socializing going on . What i WOULDNT do is not eat all day and then completely binge at the buffet . I created a habit of doing perfect for long periods of time & then when i went a little off track i would completely binge as if going a little off track was throwing everything away so might as well screw up even more , which isnt rational at all .
  • JBsCrazyGirl
    Options
    Research the buffet food,
    set your meal,
    and go in strong!

Know what you are going to get, how much you can have and make it last the whole time your'e there. Eat slow.

I did this the other day. I exercised a lot in the morning, came home and slept (grave yard worker) and woke up and went and had a wonderful date with my love. I did not feel guilty because I knew I had the calories, but I did not over do it either. I even ended up having left over calories...and I had pizza haha... :ohwell:

But you defiantly need a GAME PLAN! You can't go into battle with 5 rounds and the shirt off your back :laugh:
    If it falls through, call a "cheat meal" enjoy yourself and remember to make it about the birthday boy! because that's where he wanted to be..

But you got this!! :drinker:
  • Improvised
    Improvised Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    Okay so my brothers birthday is next week and everyone is talking about going to the buffet (i know very supportive family) I don't want to go and blow off all the hard work I've been doing. So should I not eat all day and just wait until dinner so I can have "more" or what do you guys recomend?

and P.S. no sticking to the salad bar side is not gonna work with all that temptation. lol

Should be fine.
  • RedBullLiz
    RedBullLiz Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Nooooo. It will only cause you to binge. I guess it defines your "more".
    But it won't be good afterwards. You might feel sick. Eat in moderation but of everything.
    Before dinner, try having a snack.
  • 24redwine
    24redwine Posts: 43
    Options
    Eat well, but lightly during the day and do a double workout. Then don't overdo it at the buffet -- sample, but take very small portions only of things you really want, not all that is available. It's just food, and really is not more important than your healthy goals.
  • leomom72
    leomom72 Posts: 1,797 Member
    Options
    im pretty sure you wont gain back everything you have lost in 1 buffet night (unless you only lost 1-3 pounds :wink: ) i hit up buffets 2 times in 2 weeks not too long ago, and i only gained 2 pounds total..plus, it will come back off easily..
  • rosiereally2
    rosiereally2 Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    Eat light all day, enjoy your buffet, log the calories and move on. Simple.
  • _Lori_Lynn_
    _Lori_Lynn_ Posts: 460
    Options
    I would eat fruits and veggies during the day. Eat what you want at the buffet and then plan on extra cardio and another fruit and veggie day the next day to hopefully counteract what you did the day before.

YOu will have to eat 3500 calories to gain 1 lbs. You can't do that in one cheat meal.

It will probably do you good to eat a cheat meal. That is how you break plateaus, and also keep your sanity when dieting. Cheating once a week or once every two weeks is recommended.
  • lej91
    lej91 Posts: 12
    Options
    It might work against you. I know that when I don't eat all day by the time I do get to eat, I'm super hungry, and tend to not make healthy choices and I end up overeating every time.

Why not try to eat some light snacks throughout the day to keep yourself from becoming too hungry? Like try having some soup before going out to fill you up so you can make rational choices when you get there.

Exactly! Well put.

I hate buffets too...talk about a fat girls nightmare! lol. What I like to do is create a bed of greens/salad bar veggies, then top it with bite sized pieces of the main dishes I want. The vegetable base fills me up, but I get all of the flavors I'm craving + nutrition. It's like creating the best mega-salad ever.

But don't go there starving, it's just setting yourself up for decimated will power. Also, I'd stick to lots of water instead of diet soda (water helps satisfy hunger, while the chemicals will leave you wanting more food) and if you can avoid it, pass on desert. I know personally that all it takes is one bite for me to go off the deep end with the sweets!

Good luck!
  • missanagarcia
    Options
    This is what I am going to be doing - I am going to set a goal on what I can eat and how much of it. A plan that I can follow so I cant go overboard. & I will be eating throughout the day. Thank you guys for your answers! It def. helped!! :):)
  • Rose_bee
    Rose_bee Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I'd eat like usual during the day.

Then, I'd have a small healthy dinner about 45-60 minutes before you go to the buffet.

If you're already mostly full from a healthy dinner, then perhaps you won't be as tempted by all the things at the buffet. :)
  • nashiyashi
    Options
    I think it's not a good idea to go the entire day without eating until dinner, as others have said you will be so hungry at dinner and likely to overeat. I agree it's a good idea to eat a few small healthy items throughout the day, but still save most of your calories for the buffet dinner in the evening, where you can try to choose a few healthy items as well as a couple of less healthy items if the temptation is too much and you won't have to worry too much since you were healthy with everything else you ate. Good luck!