Extra calories for nursing moms?

Lisa1971
Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi all. I'm a nursing mom and I still keep my cals at 1200 but I find that I'm starving. I definitely eat all my exercise calories but I was just wondering if I can allow myself an extra 100 or so calories for nursing.
Thanks!

Replies

• kellykat
    kellykat Posts: 180 Member
    I think it's activity you can add to your cardio.
  • kcdrake
    kcdrake Posts: 512
    I've seen a couple posts from nursing moms saying they have breastfeeding listed as cardio exercise here. Log how long you nurse and enjoy that extra food!
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    I believe it's safe to add another 100 calories. Breast feeding does burn calories. (I've read that it can burn 350 - 500 calories depending on how much you pump or nurse.)

IMO, add another 100 calories to your diet, give it a few weeks, if you see a weight gain or stall in weight loss, you could lower it back down.
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    One more thing... the lactation nurse heavily stressed to me the importance of keeping myself fed and getting proper nutrition. It really helps milk production and giving good nutrients to your baby! So, make sure that you are eating enough! You may find that you can add a few hundred calories to your day without any gains in weight.

Congrats on the baby by the way!!
  • Edestiny7
    Edestiny7 Posts: 730 Member
    Yes, make sure you are eating enough for nursing. You may want to talk to a dietitian or your physician. 1200 calories to help you lose weight, but nursing by itself will help you lose weight. I can not imagine that 1200 calories is enough to support you and nursing your baby.
This discussion has been closed.