More than 150 LB Lost Combined, With Lots of Pictures!

Options
We had an important event in our household a couple weeks ago--both my husband and I reached 75 pounds lost! We have been doing this for a little less than 10 months and we still have quite a ways to go, but I figured I'd post a new topic because I have restrained myself from doing so every time I have a tiny NSV.

A little backstory:

I grew up as the youngest in a chunky family of seven kids and two parents, who all but two have been obese at least once in their lives. We were very poor growing up, and food was a cheap and easy way to reward and entertain the whole family together. Plus all my older brothers and sisters worked in fast food as teens. Food has always been the way I grieved, celebrated, had fun, passed the time, anything. I have always been obese, since I was a small child. Over the years, most of us have lost the weight, but there were three of us who as of last year still needed to change.

My husband (Dane) on the other hand was a scrappy little beach kid who had no eating problems until, when he was a young teen, moved in with his grandparents after realizing that his mother could not take care of him. His grandparents, meaning well, used food to show love and he became a chunky youth, if not fat.

When we married, however, we both began to enable each other's bad eating habits, enjoying our common love of food in a city (Portland, OR) brimming with wonderful culinary possibilities. We were both at our heaviest about a year ago.

On to the good stuff:

Last year my sister, who was about 40 lbs heavier than me (and has now lost nearly 150), decided to get gastric surgery to aid her in losing the weight. Not wanting to end up the "last fat sister" and knowing Dane and I needed to change, we joined MyFitnessPal with my sister and started on her pre-surgery diet. We quickly figured out that MFP was going to work quite well for us, but my sister's diet was too restrictive.

We wanted something that we knew could do forever, so we adjusted our macros and calories, and decided to not eat 'diet foods'. So I have lost 78 lbs and my husband has lost 76, and we eat what we want. We try to stay away from refined sugar most of the time, but we don't deprive ourselves of the occasional treat. We walk and bike everywhere (which is easy in an urban environment) and since we have kept our diet change within reason, I have found my urge to binge almost completely gone. I know that if I over eat, I will feel sick, so I almost never do it. We no longer crave fast food.

Ten months have completely changed our tastes and our behaviors. We have quite a ways to go, but we are very thankful to MFP and to my sister for all the support and guidance we have received.

Okay, now pictures! These were taken almost exactly one year apart, In March 2012 then March 2013. The same photographer did both photo shoots--Anna Caitlin Photography, who does an AMZAING job every time. annacaitlinpohtography.com

Before: March 2012
540118_10151430673275085_1993813339_n.jpg
552263_10151430675860085_199127706_n.jpg
555240_10151430690595085_202485457_n.jpg
564276_10151431251390085_1312706904_n.jpg

During! (about 40 lbs away from goal) March 2013
3.jpgDSC_9953.JPG
DSC_9920.JPGDSC_8827.JPG

Replies

• dschassie
    dschassie Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Congrats to the two of you! The pictures are adorable!
  • mohanj
    mohanj Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Awesome job. Congratulations to you and your husband. It always helps to do it together. My husband and I are currently in the same boat. Hope one day I will be able to post our pictures as well. Thanks for sharing your story and inspiring us. Good luck .
  • sjlocklear
    Options
    WOW!!! CONGRATS!!!

LOVE THE PICS!!!!

AWESOME JOB!! KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!!
  • mblewis13
    mblewis13 Posts: 37
    Options
    Fantastic!
  • alphabetsoup2013
    alphabetsoup2013 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Those photos are fantastic. What a great idea -- to treat yourself to professional photos to mark this amazing journey in your lives as a couple.
  • jodi_lynn1972
    jodi_lynn1972 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Congrats!!
    You both look so great!
    Adorable pics
  • misifer
    misifer Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    You guys are adorable! Congratulations to BOTH of you!! You both look amazing!
  • LdyPsych
    LdyPsych Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    You both are as cute as you can be and better yet you look so happy! Good going!!
  • SalonBoi
    SalonBoi Posts: 60
    Options
    Great pics of you two!! And so glad to see and read about your journey.. Me and my partner are in the same boat but only a month into our journey, so here's to hoping we have success like yours.. Good luck on your new lifestyle...
  • smilingirisheyes
    smilingirisheyes Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your story! It's wonderful that the two of you can do this together.
  • brigidy
    brigidy Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Great job! I love the pictures!
  • Gr8ChangesAhead
    Gr8ChangesAhead Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    You are both looking awesome. It is also awesome you are doing this together.
  • EmilyEmpowered
    EmilyEmpowered Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    I love your pictures! You both look so happy and are a beautiful couple! Congrats to both of you, you are doing fantastic!
  • ice1200s
    ice1200s Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Congrats! You look like different people. WTG!
    Nice story BTW.
  • mamasmaltz3
    mamasmaltz3 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    Love the pics! Congrats. I also love that you are doing this together.
  • lbaileyjohannsen
    lbaileyjohannsen Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone! I remember being in the forum when we first started and feeling so inspired by all of the people who have lost weight successfully through MFP. You can do it!!
  • luckyjuls
    luckyjuls Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    You guys kick butt. Way to go. Can't wait to see the next set of photos!
  • Sunshine2plus2
    Sunshine2plus2 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Congrats! You are beautiful!
  • mhorn2142
    mhorn2142 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Very cute pics. And congrats to both of you. Your photographer seems to have done a good job capturing your personalities and journey!!
  • zkjmum
    zkjmum Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Wow! Congratulations to the both of you! Beautiful pics, and what an awesome couple you are.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!