Shin splints a week before my first 5k!

Options
I need to know what to do. I have a 5K next Saturday, and really, really want to participate. I paid $40 for this, which is a lot for a broke college student. Is there a way I can fix this in a week, or am I just going to have to pop some pain killers the day of? Can anybody out there help me out here?

Replies

• monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    I would start icing right away! I'll cross my fingers for you. You may want to take a break in the meantime and relax a bit. Do you know how you got them? I know I got some from aerobics on a gym floor - poor shoes can do it too.
  • KassLamb
    KassLamb Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I'll certainly start icing. I got them from doing the 30-day shred. Lots of high-impact cardio. I first noticed it while doing the jumping jacks. I was doing it on a carpeted floor, but I wasn't wearing shoes. Maybe that was why. I've read that poor shoes can cause it, but to be honest, I don't know what "poor shoes" means. I've been hearing lots of great things about minimalist shoes, but I've also heard people saying that injuries happen more with minimalist shoes and that lots of padding is best. I don't know. I just got new shoes for running. So far, they're comfortable and they fit. Beyond that, I have no clue what makes a "good" shoe.
  • dianamatienzo
    Options
    I have no advice for this :P but I wish you luck!!!! :)
  • diabloben68
    Options
    I need to know what to do. I have a 5K next Saturday, and really, really want to participate. I paid $40 for this, which is a lot for a broke college student. Is there a way I can fix this in a week, or am I just going to have to pop some pain killers the day of? Can anybody out there help me out here?

Shoes! imo thats where the problem starts. Try to get as good of a cushion in there as you can.

Are your shoes to small? Do you have to cram your feet in them? how bout your arch and width? I like new balance for myself.

Good luck
  • Xiaolongbao
    Xiaolongbao Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Shoes! imo thats where the problem starts. Try to get as good of a cushion in there as you can.

Good luck with the shin splints.

I just have to disagree with the above. I'm one of those minimalist shoes/barefoot when it's warm types. Good cushioning can lead to all sorts of problems. I'm not saying good cushioning isn't right for some people but it's certainly not smart as blanket advice.
  • KassLamb
    Options

Are your shoes to small? Do you have to cram your feet in them? how bout your arch and width? I like new balance for myself.

Good luck

Thanks. My shoes fit just fine. They're somewhat cushion-y, but not to the point of being bulky or heavy. If my shoes were going to be a problem, I wouldn't know how to pinpoint the problem. They're comfortable and they fit. As I said, beyond that, I don't know what to look for in a shoe.
  • diabloben68
    Options

I just have to disagree with the above. I'm one of those minimalist shoes/barefoot when it's warm types. Good cushioning can lead to all sorts of problems. I'm not saying good cushioning isn't right for some people but it's certainly not smart as blanket advice.

ok barefoot contessa
  • diabloben68
    Options

Good luck

Thanks. My shoes fit just fine. They're somewhat cushion-y, but not to the point of being bulky or heavy. If my shoes were going to be a problem, I wouldn't know how to pinpoint the problem. They're comfortable and they fit. As I said, beyond that, I don't know what to look for in a shoe.

Is it both legs? how long have you been running?
  • nataliescalories
    nataliescalories Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    You could try calf compression sleeves, but that's more preventative. I've also heard good things about BioFreeze Gel (kind of like icy hot sort of stuff). Definitely ice and elevate. A massage helps me quite a bit too. Epsom salt bath perhaps? That's all I can think of. Best of luck!
  • KassLamb
    Options

How do people keep their heads from exploding while shopping for shoes?

Edited because I forgot my manners. I appreciate it, and thank you. It's just that there's so much conflicting information on this subject, and I don't know what to do with it.
  • KassLamb
    Options

Good luck

Both legs, but mostly my right. I really haven't been actually running much. I've been doing mostly 30DS, and first noticed it during all those jumping jacks.
  • KassLamb
    Options
    You could try calf compression sleeves, but that's more preventative. I've also heard good things about BioFreeze Gel (kind of like icy hot sort of stuff). Definitely ice and elevate. A massage helps me quite a bit too. Epsom salt bath perhaps? That's all I can think of. Best of luck!

Thank you so much! I will try all of these!
  • Xiaolongbao
    Options

That's the beauty of barefeet. You don't need to buy any!
    (not strictly true unless you live somewhere very warm or are tough enough to run barefoot in the cold)
  • diabloben68
    Options

Good luck

Both legs, but mostly my right. I really haven't been actually running much. I've been doing mostly 30DS, and first noticed it during all those jumping jacks.

I know I might sound crazy, but I can almost 100% guarantee it is your shoes. The fact that is just started happening maybe because you just started running points to your shoes. The jumping jacks brought it out because of the impact, you may be able to pick up some higher quality soles from a shoestore, do your homework though, I got some gels from walmart and they were no better than my originals.
  • upgetupgetup
    upgetupgetup Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    I'd just wait for another 5k.
  • KassLamb
    Options

(not strictly true unless you live somewhere very warm or are tough enough to run barefoot in the cold)

That actually made me lol. I was picturing myself trying to run barefoot on caliche rock, thorny weeds, and cacti. Barefoot may work on soft fluffy green grass or a sandy beach, but neither exist where I live.
  • KassLamb
    Options

Good luck

I know I might sound crazy, but I can almost 100% guarantee it is your shoes. The fact that is just started happening maybe because you just started running points to your shoes. The jumping jacks brought it out because of the impact, you may be able to pick up some higher quality soles from a shoestore, do your homework though, I got some gels from walmart and they were no better than my originals.

Perhaps I'll try that. What makes "higher quality"?
  • diabloben68
    Options

Good luck

Perhaps I'll try that. What makes "higher quality"?

Ya just check Amazons reviews, thats usually the best way to go.
  • KassLamb
    Options

That actually made me lol. I was picturing myself trying to run barefoot on caliche rock, thorny weeds, and cacti. Barefoot may work on soft fluffy green grass or a sandy beach, but neither exist where I live.

For the record, I am fascinated with the idea. I just don't think it would be practical for me in the shape that I'm in or the location I'm in. I'd want to try it sometime, though.
  • Xiaolongbao
    Options

For the record, I am fascinated with the idea. I just don't think it would be practical for me in the shape that I'm in or the location I'm in. I'd want to try it sometime, though.

For the record I live in Tokyo and was running on the roads so trust me, I know it's not always ideal. And after a few months I caved and bought minimalist shoes so I don't actually run barefoot anymore. I'm not saying it's for everyone but I just know that my other running attempts have all ended with excruciating knee problems. For me the barefoot thing really helped with that. I'm now running 30km a week (3 runs) having built up from no running ability at all previously.