Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

What has worked for you and what hasn't?

srey0701
srey0701 Posts: 196 Member
What is the best/biggest change you've made since beginning your weight loss journey? What has worked for you? What hasn't?

Here's mine:
I've started drinking shakes for breakfast, eating clean and cutting out pastas, rice, breads etc. If I add those back in, I stop losing. Also, I find myself frequenting the gym MUCH more in the past month (and ALWAYS doing cardio!!).

8215698.png

Replies

• Pearlyladybug
    Pearlyladybug Posts: 882 Member
    shakes for breakfast worked well for me too, I never used to have time for breakfast and would get on the train at 7.30am by 8 i was starving so i would head to the nearest cafe and have a piece a cake an a moca every morning! and i wondered why i was fat!
  • Pearlyladybug
    Pearlyladybug Posts: 882 Member
    i have aso cut breads pasta even brown rice! as my guts don't agree with gluten, now i some times have a bit of sweet potato but any more than that eg: gluten free pasta etc i stop loosing
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Changing what I eat has been an ongoing process, but I have had the best success since resetting my cals and macros according to the information in this topic: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/912914-in-place-of-a-road-map-3-2013

I started it about a year ago, and have steadily lost the last 10lbs and more, and lots of fat and inches as well. it's been an expensive year, buying new clothes for each season, but I'll take it! :drinker:

The best part is it's a sustainable way to eat, not a temporary diet, no cutting certain types of foods or anything - it's for life! :bigsmile: I only wish I had found that topic when I started three years ago!
  • happydaze71
    happydaze71 Posts: 339 Member
    pre planning! I cook about once a fortnight, breakfast and lunches, bag it all up in individual serves, and then never have to wonder what i'm eating.
    Structuring my gym program into my life... discovering my gym opens at 5.30AM has been fantastic for me, I get in there and smash out a great weights routine and a run before work, job done, no guilt later on about being too tired to go.
    I say planning is EVERYTHING.... I never fully understood the importance of this before.
  • jackieomara
    jackieomara Posts: 119 Member
    Changing what I eat has been an ongoing process, but I have had the best success since resetting my cals and macros according to the information in this topic: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/912914-in-place-of-a-road-map-3-2013

I started it about a year ago, and have steadily lost the last 10lbs and more, and lots of fat and inches as well. it's been an expensive year, buying new clothes for each season, but I'll take it! :drinker:

The best part is it's a sustainable way to eat, not a temporary diet, no cutting certain types of foods or anything - it's for life! :bigsmile: I only wish I had found that topic when I started three years ago!

Did upping your cals help you?!
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    What works for me is eating at a relatively small deficit (250-500 calories below maintenance), not cutting out anything I like, staying active, and eating back my exercise calories.
  • Saree1902
    Saree1902 Posts: 611 Member
    What works for me is eating at a relatively small deficit (250-500 calories below maintenance), not cutting out anything I like, staying active, and eating back my exercise calories.

Me too! Any sense of deprivation and I tend to dive stright into the chocolate...
  • wnbrice
    wnbrice Posts: 244 Member
    Whole wheat bread for breakfast - home made 1-2 slices

Nothing with high fructose or MSG. Once I heard what those are and how they work I really stopped wanting them. I will have a little every now and then but definately work it out of my system.
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member

YUP!
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member

YUP!

heyy :drinker: me too! Also a combination of no purposeful cardio and strength training. I find as long as I keep moving & don't end up with lazy days on the couch watching horror movies, this works really well for me. Also, cooking everything from scratch. I eat anything that fits into my macros.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member

This is what works for me too.
  • PosterPens
    PosterPens Posts: 172 Member
    eating breakfast #1! never did before. eating a ton of protein with my lunch #2. if i dont, for some reason i binge like an animal at night. #3 water. im drinking tons more water than i ever had before i started a month ago. but most important is #4...logging EVERYTHING i eat into mfp. even the binges...

this site and all of your posts have kept me on track...and i know ill get to where i want to be in time.
  • zillah73
    zillah73 Posts: 505 Member
    I plan out the week in advance. I have a Sunday ritual of getting up early and going to Whole Foods, doing all my grocery shopping while it's nice and quiet and the shelves are well-stocked. Then I come home and prep/cook/pre-package as much as I can for that week. I don't know why, but it's a relaxing day for me and I love it plus it sets me up for making the right choices all week. Meals during the week are easy and there is nothing in the house that isn't a part of my meal plan to derail me.
  • EmmaKarney
    EmmaKarney Posts: 690 Member

Yep.

Half pound a week off, slowly and steadily. Just got to stick to the programme and be patient!

Takes focus and discipline.
  • Liftnlove
    Liftnlove Posts: 235

Me too :) Also lifting harder and heavier than I ever have before, and making sure I get lots of protein has changed my body and given me a more muscular look than I ever had, even in my 20s.

What DIDN'T work for me was trying to eat 1200 calories...I tried that when I started here over a year ago. I barely lasted 2 weeks with that misery. Then I increased to 2000, and never looked back. :)
  • erg2013
    erg2013 Posts: 84 Member
    Planning ahead: I find I really need to plan ahead to meet (not exceed) my calorie goal and hit protein targets.

Not having tempting foods in the house: This week I bought Kraft Carmels.... big mistake... I can't have just 1.

Lifting heavier weights: I was afraid of bulking up so I was doing light weights/high reps. Now, I do heavier weights and less reps. That has made a huge difference.

LImiting processed food: I am having fun trying new recipes and using "real" foods instead of Lean Cuisines, etc.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    what worked for me:

- eating TDEE - approx 20% when obese, then TDEE - 15% for a while, now only a very small calorie deficit as I'm well within the healthy body fat percentage range.

- lifting heavy weights, 5-8 reps to failure

- not depriving myself of anything, i.e. fitting what I want into my macros, as long as my body's getting all the nutrition it needs (i.e. enough protein, healthy fat, fruits, veggies, water)

- eating what I like on special occasions, but not being silly about it. i.e. eating what I want without stuffing my face.

- focusing on body fat percentage and body composition not weight

- focusing on being strong more than on what I look like
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,145 Member
    What works:
    - weigh/measure food
    -portion control
    - keep a food diary

What doesn't work:
    -eliminating certain food groups or macros (ie: no wheat, no meat, no dessert, etc.)
    - eating back exercise calories
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    What has worked for me:

- water, water, water
    - eliminating bread, rice, pasta and potatos as a source of carbs..
    -adding back apples, bananas and avocados
    -adding back nuts
    -focus on adding more steps to my day , along with wii yoga and Barre3 at home work outs

What didn't work for me:
    -quinoa... triggered seconds and thirds for the first time in 15 months... Quinoa is very tasty, I just didn't stop at one serving.

-
  • amyplaysflute
    amyplaysflute Posts: 91 Member
    What worked for me was a new perspective on what a meal is. It used to be a sandwich, a fruit, and a side with a drink for lunch or a meat, a large helping of starch, a small serving of vegetables, and a soda at dinner. Now I choose one thing, whether a sandwich or whatever and just eat that. Then if I'm still hungry I can have a side of crackers or fruit or whatever. I find that I fill up rather quickly whereas before I would just eat until I was about to burst. This is important for meeting my calorie goal of only 1480 calories per day.

Going to the gym is also working well for me, I love going and it makes me feel like I'm doing something good. Plus I get to eat back any calories I burn.

I never really tried to cut anything out entirely, but I have a feeling that that would never work. After all, I'm not on a diet. I'm just eating at a calorie deficit for the time being.

Also, I used to eat a ton of bread. I realized that that was a source of a lot of extra calories, so I cut back. I really haven't missed it.