ACL Injury

lyndsloo
lyndsloo Posts: 242
edited September 20 in Fitness and Exercise
Hi there, I tore my ACL a few years ago playing field hockey, and fell off the exercise train for a long time. In the past few weeks I've been exercising a TON (for me, at least), but I notice that my knee keeps swelling up. My physical therapist told me that the elliptical machine and stationary bike are excellent machines for exercise because they are easy on the knees. Does anyone know of any OTHER exercises that may be helpful? I would LOVE some suggestions that really get my heart rate up. I wasn't able to exercise as much today because of my pain. Please help!

Thanks!

Replies

• superstarcassie
    superstarcassie Posts: 296 Member
    How about swimming? Its a great workout and doesn't have the impact on the joints.
  • VballLeash
    VballLeash Posts: 2,456 Member
    I think you need to do some exercises to strengthen the surrounding muscles, you wouldn't want to re-injure it, ask your pt about some exercises that way you will have less pain. Good luck!

~Leash :heart:
  • deckerp
    deckerp Posts: 4,387 Member
    I had ACL surgery last year, so I'm in a similar position to you. I originally hurt it 25 years ago but never had anything done. I would re-injure it every 3-5 years playing basketball, volleyball, or just slipping on some ice.

After the surgery my surgeon suggested I not jog for my exercise and also said the elliptical and biking would be the best exercises for me. I already had an elliptical so that has worked out great. I use it a ton. So far I haven't burned out on it.

A friend of mine got a really cool rowing machine. I don't know the brand but it has a smooth motion and variable resistance. I think it was pretty expensive but I'm sure there is a range of prices available.

My heart rate gets up there when I do some strength exercises after the elliptical. I think it's mainly due to compression but it still feels like a lot of work. Strength along with cardio is the way to go.

Good luck.
  • I tore my acl but in the 6th grade so over 10 years ago it still gets swollen. I know you have to be careful because it is easy to reinjure your acl after tearing it initally. So if it starts hurting take it easy. Swimming is good for it. Good luck to you
This discussion has been closed.