night work

Options
I am about to start a week of nights, and find that during the night i am cold and tend to nibble. Would anyone else who does shift work including nights like to share how they survive the night. I use to eat everything and anything on nights normally bad stuff but really would like to break this habit. Many thanks in advance

Replies

• chrisjathompson
    chrisjathompson Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Lots of protein and black coffee
  • mkeller234
    mkeller234 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Well, in my case, I can only eat what I bring with me. Lately i've been eating a couple pieces of fruit or some berries and drinking coffee... lots of black coffee. My diary is public if you want to compare.
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    I bring my food to work and eat my normal meals at work. I work 12 hour overnights. I eat a breakfast, lunch and dinner. I only eat what I bring.

ETA: My diary is also public.
  • karensdream
    karensdream Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Actually, for me, nibbling not so bad. I have worked nights for over 30 yrs. I work in a hospital, and of course we have a cafeteria. The choices are better than they used to be, but going to the cafeteria is expensive, and I would tend to get things I really didn't need to eat, like desserts, etc. Plus, it was eating too heavy at that hour of the day. About 3 yrs ago I began packing my lunch every day, and that's been a big help. I only eat what I pack, and I pack things like a sandwich, raw veggies with either hummus or ranch dressing to dip, fresh fruit, yougurt and granola, string cheese, and hard boiled eggs. The nature of my job doesn't always allow for a formal "sit-down" meal time, so it's eating on the fly. With the type of things I bring, it lets me get in my protein, etc. without getting too hungry in between times. And I always make it a point to eat breakfast when I get home in the morning, before I go to bed, otherwise I wake up ravenous.
  • axialmeow
    axialmeow Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I work nights. I treat it exactly the same as if I worked days. I don't snack at work. I eat my "dinner" at about 3am. I eat breakfast when I wake up(between 2pm and 4pm) and lunch is at about 8pm right before I leave.
  • strawfairy
    Options
    The first night is the worst, but I tend to try and eat the same as I would during the day. Try and have breakfast before you start your shift, cook something and take it with you. But if you know you're a nibbler try cutting up a few carrots and cucumber, maybe some nuts to snack on. I also found these 'mug shots'. They're like a healthy pot noodle.
    I used to just eat rubbish on my nights, part of me thought I deserved to but actually you're just changing your whole routine so you should be eating like you would during the day.

Having said all that I can never tell what I'm going to be like on a night shift. Some nights I don't have an appetite and other nights I could just eat everything, I end up buying crisps and chocolate from vending machines.

I had to break the habit of just eating because I was bored.

Good luck with your nights
  • ferdenov
    ferdenov Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Anyone find it hard working out ? I work night and find I have no energy to work out , any tips ? I don't drink any cafeen so makes it harder