5ft 2 - How much are you eating?

Options

Replies

• Weebs628
    Weebs628 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    5'2" here and lost all my weight eating 1,600+. Currently eating 1,800 a day - on the last 10 pounds. I've always eaten back exercise calories when I can too.
  • EmmaReed84
    EmmaReed84 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I don't generally eat over 1200, I really do struggle, some days I can do i (like Sundays when having a big breakfast and Sunday roast)

As for eating back my calories... Nope, not that I don't 2want" do, more that I feel full and feel if I ate I would literally burst! I eat when I am hungry, I eat what I fancy, If I want chocolate I have some. I exercise regularly and I am losing steadily.

I understand what people say about eating back calories and not going under a certain number, but IMO everyone is different, just find out what works for you, what you can maintain, no point in trying to make a lifestyle change that you cannot sustain.
  • debrag12
    debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
    Options
    Eat 1693 calories. Around my BMR but lower than my TDEE.
  • NareenaTheGypsy
    NareenaTheGypsy Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I'm 5' 2.5". I've lost 50 lbs so far. I have always eaten back at least some (about 40%-75%) of my exercise calories. That being said, I generally eat about 1500-1900 calories most days. When I was "supposed" to eat 1200 a day, I was hungry all day and grouchy. I didn't sleep but only 4 hours a night generally. Since I've upped my calories, I sleep better and am a better person to deal with ;).
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    5'2 113-115lbs 33yo. Lift heavy 3 days/run 3 days a week. I eat by my TDEE, don't track what I burn and eat 2000-2200 cals a day. I also allow myself a day each week where I eat almost 2500 cals usually on leg day and I've been maintaining since June. 1200 worked for me for like a month and I was miserable. Never recommend it to someone's who active. Just bc your short or petite doesn't mean you have to starve.
  • JessicaRobin67
    JessicaRobin67 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I eat between 1600-1900 and I have been losing alittle over 1 pound a week...even during my surgery recovery time(3 weeks). I use the TDEE.. 20%
  • gerrie28
    gerrie28 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have been eating 1200 calories also, 5' 2" and 138 pounds. The scale has not moved for weeks now . I think I will also increase my calorie intake. Thanks for all the info.....good reading. :happy:
  • EmmaKarney
    EmmaKarney Posts: 690 Member
    Options

I understand what people say about eating back calories and not going under a certain number, but IMO everyone is different, just find out what works for you, what you can maintain, no point in trying to make a lifestyle change that you cannot sustain.

I agree - if something is working for you then way to go!

But the OP was regarding eating below 1200 net and not seeing results.
  • sammys1girly
    sammys1girly Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    I am just over 5'1", 129lbs, and I eat about 1650 calories on days I don't work out, often over 2000 cals on days I do work out.
    Otherwise I'd have no energy at all and feel awful. And 42 yrs old.
  • BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
    Options
    I am 5'2 158lbs I've been eating 1500-1700 calories a day. Workout 6 days a week. I tried the 1200 calorie diet, I lost 50lbs but gained 20 of it back rather quickly and I felt horrible, tired, cranky etc.
  • MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    I really struggle to eat back my calories and I go to bed full at night, any tips to help out?
    Eat more calorie dense foods.
  • MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    5'2", current weight 145lbs, I eat around 2,000 cals a day and allow myself Funday Sunday when I can eat whatever I want.

Not losing quickly at this rate but am aiming to increase muscle and get smaller this year rather than worry about the scales. I generally walk 30-35miles per week, am doing my 2nd round of 30 Day Shred with a combo of 2/4kg dumbbells, and am starting serious workouts with kettlebells soon.
  • cahann1154
    Options
    I am trying to stick with the 1200 but then I do eat back my exercise calories because I am sooo hungry. I have been gaining and losing the same lb since I started this program and it is a bit frustrating but I had already lost most of my goal wt with another plan. I definitely find I am more hungry with this calorie plan and will have to get back to eating the right balance of nutrition to get the calories. If I stand up real tall I am almost 5'2".
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    Oh here we go!

Just to save you the bother of being dragged over the coals let me recommend that you definitely do eat back your exercise calories as going lower than 1200 net calories is likely to leave you feeling very hungry and tired and is probably the reason you aren't losing enough weight.

I eat 1400 net, always eat back my exercise and I am steadily losing up to a pound a week even though I don't have much left to my goal weight.

On 1200 I was stuck at the same weight for weeks.

:love: Happened like this to me too. I'm netting btw 1400 and 1500 per day, so yes, I'm eating back my exercise calories & so far, I'm showing a loss every week.

5'
    sw: 160
    cw: 154
    gw: 120
    44yrs old
  • mrsg2006
    mrsg2006 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2 and track meticulously using both MFP, HRM and a spreadsheet I've made myself. I calculated my estimated TDEE and created a 20-week plan for calorie intake and expenditure based on exercise and fitness projections. I'm in 4th week and dead on target for weight loss according to projected calculations. I am eating just under 12,000 calories per week, which averages about 1,700 calories per day. I aim for 1500 4 days a week and 1800 3 days a week. Losing 0.9lbs per week.

I love spreadsheets--Would you be willing to explain your spreadsheet??
  • kmsairam
    kmsairam Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2", age 42, and currently 162. Up until about a month ago, I lost steadily at 1550 cals/day and eating my exercise calories back. I have been heavy lifting since Sept. I upped my calories about a month ago and weight loss stalled a bit (up and down)...so jury is still out. I love to eat and feel like I'm hungry a lot. But with my age, my TDEE is like 1800, so I'm not sure if "eating more to weight less" is feasible for me. I sure was hoping it would!

I'm curious how many short folks age 40+ are eating 1600+ cals and losing. I exercise 3-4 days/week.
  • jharb2
    jharb2 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Eat them anyway. You and the rest of us didn't have trouble eating enough calories before which is why we are doing this. So, she is right eat back your excercise calories and don't go below 1200 net. I sometimes have leftover calories at end of day and have to make myself eat them. If you don't you won't lose , plain and simple.
  • Ashwee87
    Ashwee87 Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    5'2" and eating around 1700 cals a day, not eating back exercise cals (at this time). I don't know how much I have lost or how many inches because I am trying to avoid the scale for a couple of weeks. (I was eating less than that before and the scale was just bouncing, which caused me to get depressed.)

Use that RoadMap link someone linked here. It is what i basically went off of to get my calorie goal.
  • 2wawas
    2wawas Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I stick to 1200 calories and not more than 25 grams of fat on non-workout days...other days I indulge a bit more (up to 1500 calories) as the body needs it. I use MFP religiously to track what I take in together (synced) with my FitBit to track my calories burned...it's been a winning formula for me and I couldn't have lost this weight without it!
  • ForABetterMe89
    Options
    I eat about 1400 calories a day. I do usually eat back my calories. Sometimes I eat very few of them, others I eat all of them. I'm worried that MFP is way overestimating how many caloires I burn. I'm going out this weekend and getting a heart rate monitor to help with that though. I have last 8 lbs in 3.5 weeks.