Food, Inc. - The Movie--an Eye Opener

Options
weaklink109
weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
At the moment, I am watching this program on the Public Broadasting affiliate in Portland, Oregon, (KOPB), and it is also on at this time on the Seattle affiliate (KCTS). It will be on until 11p PDT. It is being shown on "POV*" (Point of View). This program will repeat on Friday, April 23rd on KOPB, and I imagine it will be shown again on KCTS also, but I don't have the specifics.

Check the local affiliate for Public Broadcasting in your area, which will likely have a website with scheduling information, and it is possible you can see it in your area.

If you are interested in learning about how the food industry in the USA works, this film is worth your time. I am including a link to the website about the movie. I believe it is also available on DVD.

Here is the link: http://www.foodincmovie.com/about-the-film.php

You will never look at the meat and poultry products you eat quite the same way after seeing this film. I encourage MFPr's to check it out.

Replies

• NWgardener
    Options
    Thanks for the heads up regarding Food Inc. I missed more than the first hour, but will record the next showing. Prettty scary stuff, huh? I am buying local whenever I can and organic more often nowadays.
  • salyha01
    salyha01 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Brilliant movie! To anyone who has a Netflix account you can watch it anytime through the streaming video function. I agree that it is defiantly a must see.

There are the commercials on now- you know the ones paid for by the corn growers or what not, they go something like this:

man #1: (points at red Popsicle) "hey! doesn't that have high-fructose corn syrup in it? you know what they say about" high-fructose corn syrup don't you..."
    man w/Popsicle: "no, what...? that its the same for you as sugar and fine in moderation..."
    man #1: (dumbfounded grabs Popsicle)
    and scene

Another documentary to be on the look out for is "Obesity: Killer at Large"
  • bennettv
    bennettv Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    A few other food movies worth checking out:

King Corn
    The Botany of Desire
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Good News!! You can watch this film in its entirety on your pc through April 29th, for FREE!!! It is available through pbs.org.

Here is the link: http://www.pbs.org/pov/

The following link will get you there, and there is lots of other info on the subject of our food supply system. There is also another video that has info on what has happened since Food, Inc was filmed.

Thanks to Bonnie Hunt for mentioning this today on her show!!
  • khskr1
    khskr1 Posts: 392
    Options
    If you're readers, a great book is Diet for a New America by John Robbins. He was heir to the baskin-robbins throne and walked away from all of it. Great information!
  • IrishChik
    IrishChik Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I thought this movie was great. Fast Food Nation is another good one and the PETA website has a lot of videos regarding the food industry.
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    A few other food movies worth checking out:

King Corn
    The Botany of Desire
    got them on my Netflix queue
  • Laceylala
    Laceylala Posts: 3,094 Member
    Options
    I watched it months ago now and I still can't get that steal contraption they herd the pigs into...and then the amonia washing of the fat filler that goes into hamburger. yeah.

I live down in Eugene and I am SO THANKFUL that this community has such a wealth of organic options here. I wish we had a Whole Foods like Portland, but at least I've got options. And all the fresh food farms will open within a week or two, can't wait!