Need More Energy for Workouts!

Options
Hi All,

I am working out about 5 days a week. I am really focusing on my nutrition and eating clean, but I am finding that I am lacking energy to make it through the amount of cardio that I want to do. What do you guys do pre-workouts for energy to make it through?

I've tried eating a banana prior and always make sure I drink lots of water. Every day is a little different. I want to be able to power through an awesome cardio session!

Any suggestions/thoughts?

Thank you!

Replies

• alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    Do you work out in the mornings? How long are your cardio workouts usually?

It really doesn't take that long to get in a great cardio workout, especially if you're doing HIIT. 30 minutes max. You'll need energy to make it through the 30 min, but it's not as daunting as getting on the treadmill/ellipcal/bike knowing you'll be on it for at least an hour.

I work out right after work, before dinner. I have an afternoon snack (usually greek yogurt and fruit) about 2 hours before my workouts which gives me enough fuel to get in a good workout without having too much in my stomach. I've tried early morning workouts but I didn't have enough time to eat something, digest it completely, then get the workout done before work.
  • azgirlrn
    azgirlrn Posts: 1
    Options
    I had a trainer tell me to eat a rice cake with peanut butter on it:. It was actually pretty tasty...lol. I got the chocolate rice cakes and put a TBS of peanut butter on it. I kept pretty energized during the workouts with her. Another thought is to try Vitamin B12 ( sublingual). Hope this helps!
  • VickyO1977
    VickyO1977 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you eating per day could it be that as you train hard overall you don't eat enough?
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you eating per day could it be that as you train hard overall you don't eat enough?

I was going to ask the same!
  • bowser625
    bowser625 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    You may need to up your protein intake. How many g are you currently getting in?
  • briggsy13
    briggsy13 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who swears by E & E, its a type of energy mix drink made by Beachbody. She says it gives her the extra boost of energy to push through her long workouts. I've never tried it though.
  • cristina_marie
    Options
    I drink Shakeology! It helps alot because its made up of only superfoods, with no additives or anything artificial. I eat about 90% clean so I feel comfortable drinking it, and like I said my energy has increased. I work a full time job (a stressful on at that), just got done planning a wedding/I'm a new wife, and I workout 7 days a week. Also, if you can invest in a good calorie counting device to make sure that you are eating enough for actual calories burned. I use the PolarFT7 and so far no issues, if you need a recommendation.
    Hope this helps!
    -Cristina
  • jayche
    jayche Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    Eat more food, carbs specifically if you are planning on doing HIIT.
  • kellyw036
    kellyw036 Posts: 58 Member
    Options

I was going to ask the same!

I'm eating just under 1500/day
  • kellyw036
    Options
    You may need to up your protein intake. How many g are you currently getting in?

I eat ABOUT 100 g protein/day
  • kellyw036
    Options
    I drink Shakeology! It helps alot because its made up of only superfoods, with no additives or anything artificial. I eat about 90% clean so I feel comfortable drinking it, and like I said my energy has increased. I work a full time job (a stressful on at that), just got done planning a wedding/I'm a new wife, and I workout 7 days a week. Also, if you can invest in a good calorie counting device to make sure that you are eating enough for actual calories burned. I use the PolarFT7 and so far no issues, if you need a recommendation.
    Hope this helps!
    -Cristina

Thank you!! I have the Polar4, LOVE IT!! Thanks for your input!
  • kellyw036
    Options
    Eat more food, carbs specifically if you are planning on doing HIIT.

About how many carbs are ideal for energy, while being mindful of weightloss?
  • pathayes12
    Options
    This is simple (ok, not really it took me a while to figure it out) This comes down to diet, macro & micro nutrients. I'd been struggling for 2 years. Felt like crap, worked out in some form or fashion almost everyday. Never really had the stamina /energy to get in a good workout & when I did fatigue hit me hard for a couple days.

Lots of greens, fruit, seeds & nuts (be careful with the seeds & nuts. Small amounts during the day) Start eating a lot of stir fry and beans.

Just try it for a week, see what you think. I guarantee you will feel like a totally different person & have the energy you need with no brain fog to get through your day. Smoothies in the morning for bfast, light lunch (salad etc) nicely cooked stirfry and perhaps a smoothie for desert.

Cleanse - No Processed foods

1 week, it'll change your life

Cheers
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different, obviously, but there is no way my body could handle 5 workouts a week. I have a few minor health issues.

All exercise plans always seem to recommend a doctors visit before starting them. Have you had a physical lately?

Getting enough iron? Enough sleep?
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Eat carbs.

Schedule more rest days.
  • aloveragan
    aloveragan Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hve you heard of advocare? They have great products that gives your body the energy it needs and increase your metabolism. Their spark is GREAT. I love it. You should check out this website. I have been using the products and love them. Catalyst and the Spark are my favorite.

www.justthespark.com
  • highmaintnance
    highmaintnance Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different, obviously, but there is no way my body could handle 5 workouts a day. I have a few minor health issues.

All exercise plans always seem to recommend a doctors visit before starting them. Have you had a physical lately?

I was also going to suggest getting your iron and vitamin D levels checked. I also get really sluggish when my alergies are bothering me. Maybe it's time for a physical, just to be sure.
  • suejonestx
    suejonestx Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Lack of adequate sleep is almost always to blame when I'm short on energy at the gym. How much sleep are you getting?
  • kellyw036
    Options
    Everyone is different, obviously, but there is no way my body could handle 5 workouts a week. I have a few minor health issues.

Not working out 5 times a day!! I'm doing 1 workout 5 days out of the week :)))
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options

Not working out 5 times a day!! I'm doing 1 workout 5 days out of the week :)))

that is what I meant, and edited it, but not before it was seen.
    5 days a week would be way to much for me, esp with cardio.