Gained a few pounds, need some encouragement..

Options
I have gained a few pounds over the last two weeks.
But I just started insanity two weeks ago, and I see little changes in my body, but no such luck on the scale. I know it could be water weight from starting a new intense workout. But I also changed my calorie intake according to my TDEE (20%) this week, so I feel like that has something to do with it since I am eating more too. I know people say its normal at first, but that doesn't mean its not discouraging.
Just need some motivation. Some more friendly friends on here would be great.
:)

Replies

• tppchef
    tppchef Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I'm doing the same thing right now. My weight has stalled for weeks, so I increased my calories. I got pedometer to correctly log my exercise. Personally, MFP over indulges with their numbers. I think that I need to work on adding weight training. I've really tried this whole cardio thing. The last time that I lost weight was with a trainer who believed in 45 minute weight training with push-up-sit-ups & only two days cardio. I lost 30 pounds in 5 months. I really like my new routine right now, so that is just as important to me. I don't just want to lose it. I want to keep it off. We can change this! It just might take a little time.
  • groversa
    groversa Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Well good luck to you! Thanks for the add!
  • Ronnie2002
    Ronnie2002 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    You got to remember now that muscle weigh more than fat. You are probably toning more, also when you change a routine your body has to adjust, it' goes into shock. Hang in there, all this effort is going to really pay off, we have to be patience and not get discourage.
  • groversa
    Options
    Thanks, and that is what I was thinking, about my body going into shock because of two drastic changes in the last two weeks, insanity and TDEE calorie intake
  • kwol18
    kwol18 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Hang in there. I just started P90X again this week and I've been holding a pound or two higher than I was early last week. Once your body gets used to the new routine and eating habits the weight will start to decline
  • Woomytron
    Woomytron Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I did the same thing, I just started Insanity this week and increased my calories (TDEE-20%). Good luck I hope it works for us. :flowerforyou:
  • ekaustin7
    ekaustin7 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat this week dear. I stepped on the scale this morning and it showed a gain of 1.2 pounds. But, like you, I also added a new workout to my exercise regimen. One of my friends has said that your body hangs on to a lot of water when you're building muscle because your muscles need the water there to help them repair themselves. Just make sure you're drinking plenty of it. The scale will drop before you know it.
  • groversa
    Options
    I did the same thing, I just started Insanity this week and increased my calories (TDEE-20%). Good luck I hope it works for us. :flowerforyou:

Wow, we're doing the same exact thing! Haha, good luck to you!!
  • groversa
    Options
    I'm in the same boat this week dear. I stepped on the scale this morning and it showed a gain of 1.2 pounds. But, like you, I also added a new workout to my exercise regimen. One of my friends has said that your body hangs on to a lot of water when you're building muscle because your muscles need the water there to help them repair themselves. Just make sure you're drinking plenty of it. The scale will drop before you know it.

Thanks, thats what was mentioned on the teambeachbody site, about when you start some new intense exercise, your muscles try to protect themselves, so water retention.

I'm just kind of nervous because that is happening AND i also started to eat more calories from my TDEE deficit, so its two things that will put my body into "shock" at once.
  • ChildrenCryinNCoffee
    ChildrenCryinNCoffee Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat honey. I've gained a few pounds in the last month because of the medications I'm on--also, I'll admit, I'm not as motivated during my workouts like I used to be. But after trying on my favorite pair of jeans the other day and them not fitting, I'm ready to turn that around. I even went jogging last night (just remembered I forgot to log that, LOL). Add me if you'd like--I'm also on FB too!
  • mrsfoster102613
    mrsfoster102613 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Weight tends to fluctuate a few pounds daily, so try not to be too terribly discouraged. That being said, keep a few things in mind:

1. Since you are working out, you are likely building muscle. You may be replacing some of your “fat” weight with muscle weight.

2. Are you weighing yourself around the same time each day? If not, you should do so for the most consistent reading possible.

3. You indicated you changed your calorie intake, but are you eating enough? And, what are you eating?

One big thing I’ve learned is it’s not all about the calories. If you’re eating lots of veggies and fresh fruits and cutting down on the starches, dairy, meat and processed foods, you will see better and more consistent results than counting calories by itself.

Best of luck to you and keep up the hard work!
  • groversa
    Options
    Weight tends to fluctuate a few pounds daily, so try not to be too terribly discouraged. That being said, keep a few things in mind:

1. Since you are working out, you are likely building muscle. You may be replacing some of your “fat” weight with muscle weight.

2. Are you weighing yourself around the same time each day? If not, you should do so for the most consistent reading possible.

3. You indicated you changed your calorie intake, but are you eating enough? And, what are you eating?

One big thing I’ve learned is it’s not all about the calories. If you’re eating lots of veggies and fresh fruits and cutting down on the starches, dairy, meat and processed foods, you will see better and more consistent results than counting calories by itself.

I do weigh myself once a week (with my fitness coach for herbalife) at the same time each week.

My calorie goal is 1872 (20% deficit from TDEE) and I don't add my calories burned from exercise.

My diary is open too!
    I try to eat mostly healthy, i do eat sweets too though, I have a huge sweet tooth.I also am vegetarian.
  • seamanny
    seamanny Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same place. The scale isn't really moving, but I'm losing inches and am feeling stronger. I've also just added some weight training as well. I'm also trying to look at my diet and make sure that I'm eating enough calories and that I'm getting enough protein. Don't give up, your hard work will pay off. That's what I keep telling myself anyway. Good luck and keep logging everything!
  • groversa
    Options
    I'm in the same place. The scale isn't really moving, but I'm losing inches and am feeling stronger. I've also just added some weight training as well. I'm also trying to look at my diet and make sure that I'm eating enough calories and that I'm getting enough protein. Don't give up, your hard work will pay off. That's what I keep telling myself anyway. Good luck and keep logging everything!

Thanks, good luck to you too!
  • dahkneeka
    dahkneeka Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    You got to remember now that muscle weigh more than fat. You are probably toning more, also when you change a routine your body has to adjust, it' goes into shock. Hang in there, all this effort is going to really pay off, we have to be patience and not get discourage.

I dont know how many times I have seen this.
    Last time I checked, a pound of feathers weighed the exact same as a 1 pound brick.

The density is different. A pound of fat takes up much more space then a pound of muscle.
  • groversa
    Options

I dont know how many times I have seen this.
    Last time I checked, a pound of feathers weighed the exact same as a 1 pound brick.

The density is different. A pound of fat takes up much more space then a pound of muscle.

Lol! Thanks for that, very true! Thank you!
  • mrsfoster102613
    Options

I do weigh myself once a week (with my fitness coach for herbalife) at the same time each week.

My calorie goal is 1872 (20% deficit from TDEE) and I don't add my calories burned from exercise.

My diary is open too!
    I try to eat mostly healthy, i do eat sweets too though, I have a huge sweet tooth.I also am vegetarian.
  • mrsfoster102613
    Options
    When it comes to sweets, here are a few tips (I don't always follow them, but I do the majority of the time):

Don’t:
    -eat processed foods or use processed ingredients (this includes white sugar)
    -eat fruit after a meal (it can ferment your food and digestion takes longer)

Do:
    -make your own desserts (then you know EXACTLY what is going in them)
    -use organic raw honey, organic maple syrup, organic agave, dates etc. as your sweetening agents (they are natural and your body knows how to digest them, unlike processed junk)
    -if you like chocolate (unfortunately I don’t) keep organic dark chocolate handy (Green & Black bars are a popular brand); you can break off a couple of squares when you need something sweet, preferable after dinner
    -if you’re going to break the “no fruit after a meal rule,” take a frozen banana and put it in the blender or food processor; this will turn into a creamy, ice-cream-like concoction (you can add any of the sweeteners I mentioned above, raw cacao powder, etc. to change it up, but I swear it’s also good without)

If I’m craving something sweet during the day, here are my go-to options:
    -Lara Bars (the Apple Pie is my favorite; the ingredients are minimal but oh-so-tasty, and I believe that particular bar is both organic and raw)
    -homemade kale chips (there are sweet versions you can make and probably buy; my favorite is maple pecan)
    -herbal tea with organic raw honey or liquid Stevia (just be careful of the brand Stevia you purchase; many are full of processed junk)

Hope this helps! =)