Taking a rest day...?

Options
No matter what the exercise, I've often heard and seen that people take a rest day where they don't exercise. Is this really an important part of weight loss or is it ok to workout everyday? I've been using an exercise bike(about 30-40mins a day) and have gotten some great results thus far, which makes me want to continue the next day...and everyday. Should I be taking a day off from this???

Replies

• bdburch
    bdburch Posts: 127
    Options
    Muscles are built up when resting. That being said, if you aren't weight training or doing anything where you body tells you that you NEED a rest day, continue as you are. These links might help some. They advocate taking some rest time but say that you should try not to go more than 48 hours.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/361279-building-muscle-and-resting-time/
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/113024-importance-rest-muscle-building/
  • LDiScipio
    LDiScipio Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I'll check those out.
  • Zekela
    Zekela Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    I'd agree to listen to your body. It also depends on your fitness level and the type of exercise. I've been running for a long time, and for the past 10 years I've rarely took a rest day. However, if my body doesn't feel like it or if the weather is bad, I'll take a rest. I've rarely had injuries from running and I'm known to have run 10 miles on a Friday, then enter two 5ks on a Saturday and then on a Sunday and place in the top three overall female for these events. However, I wouldn't advise a new runner to run everyday. You have to build your self up and again listen to your body.
  • AbsyPernet
    AbsyPernet Posts: 145
    Options
    Hi there

I do enjoy having a good sweat everyday, keeps my head clear and gives me more calories to eat for the rest of the day:laugh:

So, I think, if you listen to your body and you are not in pain, why not?

Good Luck and keep on exercising :D
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    I agree with those who agree to listen to your body :)
    I swim 6 to 7 days a week. But when my body is scream "REST" I take a day off swimming. But I don't rest entirely. For me, a "rest day" from swimming is a day with at least an hour of heavy lifting. :bigsmile:
  • LDiScipio
    LDiScipio Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! So far I haven't felt I've needed a rest day so I keep going. Obviously there will come a day when it just isn't in the cards to workout like I do, but I will definitely listen when my body says slow down :)
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    BTW, I know a Master Marco DiScipio. Any relation?