Full time parents - how do you exercise?!?!

Options

Replies

• CEHayes73
    CEHayes73 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I know it's tough. I have 4 and do childcare and struggle with this. What about trading babysitting with someone? Even if they don't want the time for exercise, could you find someone else with a little one who would watch yours for an hour, and then you watch theirs, even a few times a week. The exercise is important, the shower thing is slightly more manageable. Take your toddler in their with you; you get clean, they get clean, and you can probably fit in some good teaching on anatomy - she will ask akward questions. Mine asked, "Mommy, why is your chest floppy?" "Your fault, darling."
  • AuddAlise
    AuddAlise Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    You just do. I have 4 kids ages 10, 7, 6, 3. I drop the older ones off at school and the little one comes with me to the gym. She loves it.

Before I had the gym pass we would take a walk to the park. She would then play and I would use the equipment.

ETA - I work 40+ hours a week on top of being a full time Mom. You can do it!
  • SakuraRose13
    SakuraRose13 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Well I have 2 daughters 19 months apart recently the youngest turned a year old and my oldest is 2.5 I can understand Im a SAHM so they are always with me.The only time I exercise is when Im out with my husband we love walking so that includes the mall outside stores it does burn calories try walking for 2 hrs you will feel it or try 4 or so.I get exercise in when I can even if its in spurts 25 mins here 10 mins there,jogging in place,jumping jacks woo those arent easy and one day Ill try jump rope again if my knees can handle it,I also try when they are down for the night so maybe 2 hrs or so ,my youngest doesnt sttn yet crossing my fingers it changes soon.The zoombie look isnt my thing.lol Good luck with everything Its hard to find time for yourself but you must ,you are important to.

btw :My husband works 12hr shifts 40 hours plus and 3rd shift.
  • ThatSoundsHard
    ThatSoundsHard Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Stay at home mom of 2 here. A 5 year old and a 2 year old.I'm home with them all day every day as my husband often works 10-12 hour days.

It's tough but you can do it. here are some of the things I've found that are working for me.

I try to stick to short workout videos. Jillian Micheals videos are all under half an hour. BeFit youtube channel has lots of quick 10- 20 minute videos.

If my kids are being particularly difficult, I may break up my work out and just do 10 minutes of yoga here, 20 minutes of aerobics there over the course of my day.

Coloring books are a godsend as are old magazines, construction paper, gluesticks and safety scissors. I've given them my tablet or the DSI to distract them for some minutes.

Try not to give up or get discouraged if you have to stop your workout (yes, even the 10 minutes ones) several times to get juice, calm a tantrum, redirect a child etc. I stop and start every single workout I do with the kids around at least twice.But as I've stuck with it. it's become part of our day. Just something that happens and they're used to mommy jumping around like a crazy person.

As far as your kid trying to climb in the shower goes. Just bring her in the shower with you. That's the only way I manage to shower with my 2 year old around. It's not perfect, but my shiz gets taken care of.
  • skivrmt
    skivrmt Posts: 3
    Options
    Lots of great answers already so I'll through my 2 cents in as well! I'm a single Dad of 2 boys, 10 and 7. They are allowed 30 min a day on "media" (Xbox, Kindle, Computer, etc) so during that time is usually when I'll get my home workout in, mainly calisthenics. They will also come to my soccer game and watch (used to cheer my too cool for that now!). I also have some help (friend, babysitter etc) on other days for a run at the gym or spinning.

It's not easy, but I feel so much better after doing some sort of workout I always try to make it work.

Good luck! :)
  • perfectionisntme
    perfectionisntme Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I do thing that incorporate my kids. Yoga is a big one, my 5 year old can lift my 3 lb. weights, so we do them as a family.
  • jend114
    jend114 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    My daughter is 4. I give her coloring books or her leapster or cartoons(if nothing else is keeping her attention) so I can run on the treadmill or do a workout dvd
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    Taking her for a walk, or running around with her at the park when its dry are probably 2 of the best options. X
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    I work out while my little guy naps, but When I join a gym I'm just going to pay extra to drop him off at their daycare. It's worth it, IMO.
  • melodyjstray
    melodyjstray Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I don't like to do it, but I often take my two littlest in the double jogger when I go running. I am much slower with them, but I figure I make up for it in the calories burned pushing 60 lbs of kids. I sometimes do exercise DVDs when they are awake, too. It's not ideal, as I usually end up having a 1.5 year old, 3.5 year old, and 5.5 year old climbing all over the living room trying to do 30 Day Shred or whatever. But I figure that anything I do is better than sitting on facebook all day. :)
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    I have a 4 and 6 year old. They have a set bed time of 7:30 and unless they need something are supposed to stay in their bedrooms until 6:00. They both will let me work out at home, sometimes they try to do it with me. Sometimes I just take them to the park and I use the equipment there for my exercise equipment and they get to play.
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    When I was a live in nanny for my brother his little girl was like that. I often times would put a movie on in her room and get a work out done, or she would work out right beside me. She is 8 now and she spent the night with me a couple weeks ago while he was getting ready to move into their new house - she is still quite attached to me so she did Insanity right along with me.

Maybe try getting her to work out with you - she doesn't have to lift weights or anything but kids find stuff like that fun - especially when mom does it.
  • sally_jeffswife
    sally_jeffswife Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    lay down on the floor and pick her up or lay her on your legs and raise her up. Dance around with her. Maybe go to a pool if there is a pool nearby and help her around in the water. Go for walks....all that will help. My youngest is 5 now and she will work out with me and when she gets tired she just watches. Put a piece of tape on the floor and told her to just stay behind the tape so we both have lots of room and got her a little lightweight kettlebell cuz she likes to feel strong and will do that one with me. My older son is 15 and he will do the tae bo or the dance ones with me. Is really nice. My middle daughter is in basketball and volleyball so she keeps pretty busy but she will do the country cardio one that billy blanks jr has on youtube cuz she likes doing that one at home. When they are real little and crawling on ya age though. Best thing is just taking walks or picking them up and dancing with them, or walking around the pool with them. things like that. or lay on your back and lift them up or lay them on your legs and lift them up.
  • AmandaReimer1
    AmandaReimer1 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Lucky for me, I do it during naptime time (my son will be 2 in May), and toddlers are exhausting in their own right. My hubby works overnight shifts and sleeps during the day, so I don't always have help. I like the suggestion of a quiet time. I've learned sleep begets sleep, but I know some kids just won't go to bed early or sleep in (but they still usually take naps). A playyard during workout time is another good idea (and for shower time).

I only dedicate 3 days a week to workout, (zumba for wii and 30 day shred) that's better than nothing. Don't feel the pressure to workout everyday. I count my cals, try to eat well and have lost about 15lbs since Janurary. For time, my slow cooker has become my best friend on workout days.

And like everyone said, even walking is good! The weather here is never guaranteed so I don't count on it, but you may be able to. Good luck! Add me if you want!
  • rekite2000
    rekite2000 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I have a 3 month old and a two year old. Some days are harder especially if baby doesn't want to sleep when my toddler does. On nice days, I walk outside. On yucky days, chase my toddler, play games like "jumping jacks" and "squats"- she thinks it is fun. We dance, I will lift her for bicep curls or over my head. I do sit ups with her sitting on me. If they sleep at the same time, I will do a video.
  • kbanzhaf
    kbanzhaf Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    I have been a full-time ONLY parent since my husband died 12.5 years ago, and I lost all of the weight I lost after his illness and death. Yes, it is hard, but if you are not working out "because you have your child five days a week," you are looking for an excuse. Hate to be blunt, but this hit a nerve with me.
    Walking is WONDERFUL exercise, and you can put your child in a stroller and get a great workout if you push yourself to walk quickly.
    Kaye
  • Terpripken
    Options
    I am a SAHD to a 4 yo and 2 yo. While my daughter is at school in the mornings, I take my son for a walk in the stroller around the neighborhood for about 45 minutes. I'm still new to this, so that is what I have been doing to "workout". I also take them to playground every day. Instead of just sitting on the bench and watching them like I used to, I actually play with them and run around. I also have a Wii Fit that I plan on using during nap time or after they go to bed.
  • metaphoria
    metaphoria Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    I suggest the book Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child to get naps going again, and a set bedtime. She sounds strung out from lack of sleep. Also, does she sleep in a crib or do you have a playpen you can set up, or strap her into the high chair for half an hour. She can play, colour, have a snack, or sit and whine for that time, but she will be confined to watching you without jumping on top of you. Better yet, quiet time in the afternoon, whether she sleeps or not. You can put her in the crib with some music on and a few board books. A half an hour quiet time is not unreasonable.
  • Aza_
    Aza_ Posts: 7
    Options
    I have three... 3, 2, and 7months. "Official" workouts I keep to half an hour, I really love the Jillian Michaels DVDs that are 30minutes. Other than those, running after three munchkins all day is enough exercise for me. For that half an hour though, I usually exercise while the baby is napping and I keep my two toddlers busy with messy play -- google "messy play" or "sensory play" for some ideas. Kids will entertain themselves for a long time with fun messy play activities -- heck, even while they are coloring or doing blocks, you can find some time. They do their activity in a corner and I exercise in the same room. As with most kid activities, you have to set rules and boundaries and explain that they get to do their fun activity while mommy exercises.

The showering... there are times when all three of them are in the shower with me, so I don't have any help there.
  • repertoire
    repertoire Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I have a 2 and 4 year old. I got to the gym in the evening. After dinner, the hubby is home...and I leave for a couple hours. I do this about 3 times a week and it works out well (gives me a break as well). The other days I just go for walks with them or play with them as exercise. You just got to make it a priority! Good luck!