It happened.

Options
It happened. This morning. The scale went in the wrong direction. Only by 1.2 pounds, but it's still discouraging since I haven't gone over my calorie goal at all this week and I've been working out twice, sometimes three times a day. I drank a metric crap ton of water yesterday, so I'm hoping it's just water weight. Trying to stay away from sodium today as much as possible and see if the scale isn't back down to 154 tomorrow. It also could be that I put on some muscle since I recently added Jillian Michaels Ripped in 30 to my workout routine. Still, I could use some encouragement.

Replies

• suejonestx
    suejonestx Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Don't worry, it's normal to fluctuate. Just keep at it and stay focused on the long term!
  • freelancejouster
    freelancejouster Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    possibilities:

-time of the month, I retain up to about 3 pounds of water for 5-8 days.
    -fluctuation - weight fluctuates up to 5 lbs throughout the day
    -sodium from something in the last couple days
    -old scale? check batteries.
    -possible muscle, but not overnight. How often do you weigh yourself?
    -no rest day - you're likely to retain water (and cause injury) without a rest
    -over working out - three times a day is A LOT. are you netting over your BMR with that kind of workout? because you need to be to lose.
    -not enough water
  • StrawberryThief
    Options
    I hit ten stone and then just don't lose weight. I can drop a dress size and inches from my waist, and be really slim and happy, but the weight just doesn't go.
    Try ditching the scales and measuring your waist, bust and thighs instead.
  • Ronnie2002
    Ronnie2002 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    How are your clothes fitting, that's what I mainly go by? Are they looking and fitting better on your body, sometimes I know we get so hung up on the scales? I wore a pair of pants yesterday and they were so big on me, I didnt really realize it until I pass a mirror at work and saw myself, I will need to do some alterations. Just keep doing what you are doing, it will work out.
  • ekaustin7
    ekaustin7 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    possibilities:

-over working out - three times a day is A LOT. are you netting over your BMR with that kind of workout? because you need to be to lose.
    -not enough water

I've been drinking a TON of water, so I know it's not that. I weigh myself just about every morning. I'm eating about 1800 calories a day but netting about 1300 or so. I've been wondering if I should up my goal to 1500 calories a day and see if that won't help me. I did look again at my diary from yesterday and was WAAAAAAAAY, and I mean way, way over my sodium goal. So I'm thinking perhaps my body is just holding onto all of the water I drank yesterday to shame me for eating so much salt.

As for resting... I know I should do it, but I hate it. My day doesn't feel complete without a workout. I take 1 day off from the gym and 1 day off from Ripped in 30, but not on the same day. And my third "workout," if there is a third, is just walking my dog for 45 minutes.
  • quixoteQ
    quixoteQ Posts: 484
    Options
    I haven't gone over my calorie goal at all this week and I've been working out twice, sometimes three times a day.

If you calculated your goals accurately, then you didn't gain any weight--muscle or fat--unless you got some implants. It just isn't possible.
  • freelancejouster
    freelancejouster Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    possibilities:

-not enough water

I've been drinking a TON of water, so I know it's not that. I weigh myself just about every morning. I'm eating about 1800 calories a day but netting about 1300 or so. I've been wondering if I should up my goal to 1500 calories a day and see if that won't help me. I did look again at my diary from yesterday and was WAAAAAAAAY, and I mean way, way over my sodium goal. So I'm thinking perhaps my body is just holding onto all of the water I drank yesterday to shame me for eating so much salt.

As for resting... I know I should do it, but I hate it. My day doesn't feel complete without a workout. I take 1 day off from the gym and 1 day off from Ripped in 30, but not on the same day. And my third "workout," if there is a third, is just walking my dog for 45 minutes.

Even if it's just like once every two weeks, have walking your dog be your only workout that day. Your body seriously needs to recuperate from the exercise you're putting it through.

It sounds like sodium is your problem, here, however, and it should be back down in a couple days. And maybe check into your BMR some to change your deficit, but as long as you net over 1200 your body should be fine.
  • ekaustin7
    ekaustin7 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    possibilities:

-not enough water

Even if it's just like once every two weeks, have walking your dog be your only workout that day. Your body seriously needs to recuperate from the exercise you're putting it through.

It sounds like sodium is your problem, here, however, and it should be back down in a couple days. And maybe check into your BMR some to change your deficit, but as long as you net over 1200 your body should be fine.

You seem like you're a smart cookie. Glad we're buds :smile:
    I'm vowing to stay as far away from sodium as possible today. We'll see where that puts me tomorrow.