Is fat really that bad?

Options
So, I have my macros set to 40% carb, 30% fat and 30% protein. Is it really bad if I am closer to 40% on fat? I eat 2 eggs and an avocado and I'm already there! I am having a hard time upping my protein because I don't like meat, but other things that give me protein (like yogurt and nuts) make the fat % go up too high. Should I really be that worried about the fat%, or just focus on getting enough protein instead? Thanks!

Replies

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I'm over on my fat almost every day, but since most of it comes from nuts, avocado, olive & coconut oils, etc, I don't worry about it too much. Hasn't seemed to hinder my progress any (my macros are also 40/30/30).
  • chels0722
    chels0722 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I eat 45% fat and I am just fine. I find that I feel better and have more energy on a higher fat diet. I have several other MFP friends who eat closer to 60% fat and they love it.

When it comes to protein, it depends on what you are trying to get from it. My body doesn't like when I eat more than 20-25% protein, so I have my grams based off of my LBM.

I wouldn't worry about going over in fat (as long as it is healthy fat as you mentioned), so just get the protein you need, let the carbs fall where they may. You will be fine :)
  • mrs_mab
    mrs_mab Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    If it's good fats that are causing you to go over, I wouldn't sweat it too much. Avocado's are a super food! I swear I could live off them! :bigsmile:
  • Renothefox
    Options
    I follow nutrition journals and read most of the nutrition books that come out, and from what I've read and my personal experience fat is good and important, the trouble comes from it's high caloric value. As far as priorities, Hit you protein numbers #1, then your Calories, If you hit your protein #'s and are making up your calories buy fat or carbs, doesn't matter really. There is no essential carb but it does trigger growth hormone. Fat gets a bad rap. Omega-3 are essential hormonally and saturated fat is important for key hormone production. Every cell will is made of cholesterol. And there is no connection between dietary cholesterol and body cholesterol levels. If you want data I can point you in the right direction. At the end of the day, it's all about that calorie amount. I love my fat but it's a toss up between how full I want my belly and yummyness. I can have a dump-truck of greens or a Tbsp of butter lol.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    Eating healthy saturated fats hasn't been bad for me at all. One does need to track it and count calories, of course.
  • kat5556
    kat5556 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I've never tracked fat at all and have steadily lost weight - actually more than I wanted to. I look at the overall calories and protein mostly. I shoot for 100 grams of protein daily and then let everything fall where it may.
  • kat5556
    kat5556 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    So, I have my macros set to 40% carb, 30% fat and 30% protein. Is it really bad if I am closer to 40% on fat? I eat 2 eggs and an avocado and I'm already there! I am having a hard time upping my protein because I don't like meat, but other things that give me protein (like yogurt and nuts) make the fat % go up too high. Should I really be that worried about the fat%, or just focus on getting enough protein instead? Thanks!

Do you like fish or cottage cheese - that will boost your protein and are low in fat.
  • maxthedork
    maxthedork Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    It's not all fats that are bad. Saturated fats are very bad. (And by the way, whenever you see "partially hydrogenated" or "hydrogenated" anything, they've taken unsaturated fat and made it saturated!) Basically any fat that is solid in its standing form (with a few exceptions) is saturated.

Unsaturated fats are OK but where you really want to go is to Omega-3 and Omega-6 fatty acids, especially those found in nuts and fish.

Renothefox said there's no correlation between dietary cholesterol and blood cholesterol, and he's correct. What drives up blood cholesterol (which your body produces naturally) is, guess what? SATURATED FAT.

So don't worry so much about total fat intake. Saturated fat intake should be less than 10% of your total fat calories, and your fat intake should be about 30% of your total caloric intake. Considering that fat provides 7 calories per gram (as opposed to 4 calories per gram each of carbohydrates and protein), it means you can ingest less fat than carbs and protein and still take in more calories.
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    I have my macros set to 35% protein, 35% carbs and 30% fat and go over every day, but since I eat all natural PB and coconut milk, I don't worry about it too much so long as I don't go over on my Sat Fat. Hasn't hindered my progress any...
  • _Lori_Lynn_
    _Lori_Lynn_ Posts: 460
    Options
    I never worry about fat. Fat won't make you fat.
  • WifeofPJ
    WifeofPJ Posts: 312
    Options
    I have heard from many sources, My Dr who's specialty is in Nutrition, one of the trainers at the gym who's a nutritionalist, and trough Weight and Wellness center that Fat is GOOD, Fat helps you absorb nutritiants without fat the nutritions will just flush through your system. Those fats that you have listed are good fats, I actually stopped buying reduced fat stuff.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    It's fine, as long as you are getting a balanced diet and are not going under protein at its expense.
  • feelgoodnic
    feelgoodnic Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I have my fat set to 30% but usually hit closer to 40%... I aim to eat healthy fats, it hasn't affected my weight loss so far. Plus I'm not happy without my avocados and peanut butter...
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    Like everyone else has pretty much said - fat does not make you fat. Excess calories make you fat. Additionally, BAD fats are bad. Good fats are good.

Very bad fats are trans fats, particularly the artificial ones (processed foods, primarily). Less bad but still bad fats are saturated fats, which primarily come from animal products (dairy and meat). Good fats are poly- and mono-unsaturated fats. Olive oil, almonds, fatty fish, avocados.

For weight loss purposes, it doesn't matter how much total fat you eat, as long as your calories are in line with your goals. For health purposes, limit bad fats and eat lots of good fats.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,921 Member
    Options
    It's not all fats that are bad. Saturated fats are very bad. (And by the way, whenever you see "partially hydrogenated" or "hydrogenated" anything, they've taken unsaturated fat and made it saturated!) Basically any fat that is solid in its standing form (with a few exceptions) is saturated.

Unsaturated fats are OK but where you really want to go is to Omega-3 and Omega-6 fatty acids, especially those found in nuts and fish.

Renothefox said there's no correlation between dietary cholesterol and blood cholesterol, and he's correct. What drives up blood cholesterol (which your body produces naturally) is, guess what? SATURATED FAT.

So don't worry so much about total fat intake. Saturated fat intake should be less than 10% of your total fat calories, and your fat intake should be about 30% of your total caloric intake. Considering that fat provides 7 calories per gram (as opposed to 4 calories per gram each of carbohydrates and protein), it means you can ingest less fat than carbs and protein and still take in more calories.
    Nothing wrong with natural saturated fat at all.........Your repeating dogma that's been around for decades. You would loose a court case based on saturated fat is bad. Polyunsaturated fat, that's another story.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options

Nothing wrong with natural saturated fat at all.........Your repeating dogma that's been around for decades. You would loose a court case based on saturated fat is bad. Polyunsaturated fat, that's another story.

THIS. Healthy saturated fats are healthy.
  • Annelies11
    Annelies11 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Thanks everybody, that makes me feel a lot better. I should focus on getting enough protein, and not worry about going over on fat as long as I stick to the healthy fats, and don't eat too many calories.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I tend to be between 40-45% sometimes as high as 50-60%. I really enjoy fat. I'm practicing portion control and so far its been working.
  • chessgeekdavidb
    chessgeekdavidb Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    In my food no, on my body yes :wink: