Creatine. Is it effective?

Options
ryry_
ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
Curious to know if anyone takes creatine and what success they have had with it. My general understanding (possibly misunderstanding) is that it doesn't aid in building actual contractile protein but does bring all the other goodies into the muscles to give more of a fullness. My understanding is also the effects wear off once you stop taking it.

I await your input.

Replies

• smittieaj
    smittieaj Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I recently began taking creatine, and my brother-in-law has been using it for years.

Basically, if you work out and gain muscle, you will not lose the muscle when you stop taking creatine. You will, however, lose the water bloat in your muscles. If you haven't actually gained any mass, then you'll deflate back to your original size, eventually.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    Found a Lyle McD article. I shall read that.
  • Ryne15
    Ryne15 Posts: 6
    Options
    Creatine is highly effective. Creatine monohydrate is the one of, if not the most studied supplement.
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    It works and it's cheap.
  • marioalberto1
    marioalberto1 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Make sure if you buy creatine it's CreaPure. I've been using Optimum Micronized Creatine Powder for a while now.
  • joel3736
    joel3736 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    It is a naturally occurring substance in the body. It is used to generate adenosine triphosphate (ATP) by having Creatine Phosphate(CP) aka Phosphocreatine (PC) donate a phosphate group to adenosine diphosphate(ADP) to convert it to ATP. ATP only will last for 10 seconds but replenishes rather quickly. It is the main energy pathway used for maximal strength training. It is most definitely beneficial.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    It works and it's cheap.

/thread
  • chelly_leigh
    Options
    Creatine does work however it stops your natural production of creatine. So when you stop using it, your body will be far less effective at producing it. I suggest using build up shakes without creatine because that way the results though harder to achieve will be a lot longer lasting..
  • Gangofwolves
    Options
    Citation needed?

been taking for 2 weeks, higher rep range. Works great.
  • Gangofwolves
    Options
    Creatine does work however it stops your natural production of creatine. So when you stop using it, your body will be far less effective at producing it. I suggest using build up shakes without creatine because that way the results though harder to achieve will be a lot longer lasting..

Citation needed?
  • K_Serz
    K_Serz Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options

http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/creatine myths and_facts.htm

^^ Jacob Wilson is funny: One of the Q & As from that page. Explains about 80% of threads on MFP also.

Q: The clerk at my local sporting goods store, explained to me, that when your body runs out of food at night, your muscles can take the creatine in them and use it to fuel their growth.

A: I don't believe I will even waste my time dispelling his explanation. How moronic can you get? My real question is, where do these people get there information from? I actually have a theory on this very matter. I believe, that there is a moronic website that is the complete opposite of abcbodybuilding. I've tried to crack the code, but gymmorons.com just didn't work. Perhaps they are trying to hide their identity? But regardless of my theory, the guy is dead wrong!
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options

http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/creatine myths and_facts.htm

^^ Jacob Wilson is funny: One of the Q & As from that page. Explains about 80% of threads on MFP also.

Q: The clerk at my local sporting goods store, explained to me, that when your body runs out of food at night, your muscles can take the creatine in them and use it to fuel their growth.

A: I don't believe I will even waste my time dispelling his explanation. How moronic can you get? My real question is, where do these people get there information from? I actually have a theory on this very matter. I believe, that there is a moronic website that is the complete opposite of abcbodybuilding. I've tried to crack the code, but gymmorons.com just didn't work. Perhaps they are trying to hide their identity? But regardless of my theory, the guy is dead wrong!

:flowerforyou: I think I love you!
  • Ryne15
    Ryne15 Posts: 6
    Options

False.
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Buy ordinary creatine monohydrate without any additives or fillers. Save your money and avoid the more expensive versions.

Your goal is muscle saturation and maintenance. There is no need for cycling it or introducing a "loading phase" with higher doses. You will reach saturation with a standard dose.
  • HelloDan
    HelloDan Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Worth noting that about 30% of the population don't respond to creatine, and of those who do respond, I can't remember the figures, but it's split roughly in half between a small response and a much more noticeable response.

That said, it's so cheap, it's worth trying to see whether you are a responder or not.
  • qballjr13
    qballjr13 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I use Optimum Creatine 2500mg and the Optimum Hydro Builder protein that has 5g per scoop in it - I have been using for years and have seen some definite increases in muscle mass and my max weights have significantly increased.
  • qballjr13
    qballjr13 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    EDIT: Double Post
  • BigDaddyRonnie
    BigDaddyRonnie Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Just because its on the internet means its true? Be careful what you read people.

Stick with the notable sites like bodybuilding.com, webmd.com, livestrong.com, etc. Those are reputable sites that have a lot to lose with posting misinformation. Reading an article written by Joe Blow M.D. means absolutely nothing to me and if I don't know the name, I don't trust the info...

Anyway, I have been taking Creatine, off and on for a few years and have not experienced any side effects beyond a little bloating. It does help with muscle generation, and re-generation for healing as I noticed my recovery period after lifting when on Creatine is shortened.

I take the monohydrate. I don't like or need all of the other fillers.

Creatine is a form of protein, mostly found in red meats. It is also a source of energy for your body. Most pre-pumps include creatine. It is used by many of the world's professional athletes. Does this make it safe? Well, if there were some serious effects directly attributed to Creatine, I am sure there would be news about it.

Do your research. Read the reputable sites and information contained. Most of all...listen to your body! If it doesn't like something, it will tell you.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Found a Lyle McD article. I shall read that.

^ This. Yes it works. And yes, read his articles on it.
  • mndamon
    mndamon Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    It works and it's cheap.

Thread should have just been locked at this point.