the dreaded stall...

Options
Greetings,

I have stalled. I have been dancing around between 198-202 pounds since the holidays. I walk 5+ days per week, but I may have gotten "too good" at it. I need to shake up my routine. I can't wait for the weather to warm so I can do more/different outside activities.

I am 46 years old and 5'11". More than just a little active. I am wondering if my body has reached its level of homeostasis and refuses to lose. I should probably add strength training.

Any ideas/motivation would be welcome.

Thank you,
Richard

Replies

• Cebersail
    Cebersail Posts: 12
    Options
    Hi Richard,

I gained muscle and lost fat. My gym routine was getting boring so I have been attending strength classes at my gym. They really hurt but helped my motivation even though I dread going. It's good to change it up and I suggest strength training with free weights even with some dumbbells at home if your not into the gym.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    How much are you eating?

Beyond that, yes, it is important to shake up our routines once in awhile!
  • RichardJWalter
    RichardJWalter Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Most days I exceed my calorie goal, but I walk 4-6 miles 5+ days per week. With the FitBit adjustment I am almost always under my MFP calorie goal.
  • amann1976
    amann1976 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    i didnt lose a single lb for 2 months but my man boobs got smaller inches came off my waist and my thighs shrunk...

the scale is not the only means of success... even if you are not losing lbs your heart is getting stronger and you are getting more fit. so keep pushing and your results will come.

remember it is a marathon not a sprint
  • Spambo16
    Spambo16 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Since you're walking anyway, you may want to try integrating some racewalking technique in your walks. There are some good sites to show you the techniques, though I don't have the links off-hand. I find racewalking (while yes, it looks geeky) more actively engages core, glutes, quads, and hamstrings and REALLY kicks my heartrate up over even a faster paced "regular" walking style. If I haven't done it a while, I alternate periods of racewalking with power walking, and yes, you may feel a little sore for the first few days. Might just be enough to kick you over the plateau and back on a downhill course. (It can be a little harder on your heels because of the gait, so make sure your gym shoes are not on the end of their lifespan.)