suffering a loss--now off track

Options
HI, I most recently lost my beloved cat he was like my best friend other then my husband. I had him for 8.5 years. It happened last week. I barely ate anything or got enough sleep last weekend. I really only had 1 day this week where I was able to eat three full meals. I was logging in for 60 days in a row before it happened. I'm trying to deal with the loss the best way I can by talking to friends and family but I still go to food to help me. Please help! I want to get back on track and loose what I need too.

Replies

• Mistyblu08
    Mistyblu08 Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I kind of went through the same thing when I lost my dog last fall and then my mom this winter- its hard to come to terms with it all but you can do it....just takes time...have patience with yourself...stressing about it will only make it worse.....and this might sound harsh and I apologize if it does but this is what I told myself when I wanted to wallow in a bag of chips or a pound of chocolate...."eating like that and hurting myself this way will not bring them back ....so just stop, breathe deep and take stock of where you are at and the happy memories that bring you comfort." Hugs
  • ThisGirl2013
    ThisGirl2013 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I am really sorry to hear of your loss. I can relate be to losing a pet that you have a connection with. I also know how easy it is to turn to emotional eating. Take baby steps.. I am not sure if you crave sweets or heavier (chicken, mashed potato and gravy) type things but if sweet, I find that a cup of coffee with french vanilla creamer helps or yogurt on a graham cracker (I break a cracker in to 4s) and dip in to the yogurt. Tastes like cheesecake depending on the flavor of yogurt you get. Don't beat yourself up when you don't "succeed". It's ok to grieve. Eating poorly can contribute to bad sleep and a continued depressed mood as well, something to keep in mind. If you crave "heavy" - something I find that tastes so good and is EXTREMELY satisfying is to eat chicken or pink salmon from a packet over spinach and romain lettuce. I add tomato/cucumber, sometimes carrots. Cheese is good in small (shredded) amounts. Adding some cashews or slivered honey roasted almonds always helps me even avoid any dressing. Oatmeal too is good. Time helps heal and I hope that the good memories and the fact that kitty had a blessed life with someone he loved/who loved him gets you through some of the rougher patches.
  • Jane_1705
    Jane_1705 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Really sorry to hear of your loss, I went through the same last January. Give yourself time to grieve and patience with yourself. Keep talking about it to people that understand and tell yourself that you will get back on track when you are ready to x
  • roneil27
    roneil27 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone. I truly am taking it one day at time. It has only been a week since it happened. I'm trying to get back to walking every night with my husband and on the weekends we usually try and walk longer. I haven't had coffee since the Saturday after he passed. I use to rely on it daily. I know I was eating my feeling so to speak. I'm trying now to get back where I was and go back to focusing on loosing weight. It's just so hard. I feel like it comes in waves. Some days are good and some are bad. Thank you all for your kind words, tips, and support. I will take every suggestion to heart.
  • Ajellyfish77
    Ajellyfish77 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry for your loss. It is like losing a child. They are your babies your family your support and confident. I am so sad to hear your news and hope that you find comfort outside your kitchen to help you deal with it. God bless.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry! My cat is 12 next month and I'm already upset just thinking that she's getting old for a cat. I'll be devastated when she dies. Pick up a workout dvd and do that, at least it will keep you busy for a bit and get your mind away from your loss and the kitchen. Then start logging again... or get another cat.
  • nicarey19
    nicarey19 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I am really sorry for your loss. We had to put my cat down this morning. Last thing I want to do is run or eat anything. If you need someone to talk to you can message me.