HRM or FitBit??? Not sure which to buy...suggestions?

Options
I really want to be able to accurately determine how many calories I am burning doing certain work outs. Is the FitBit good for this or should I invest in a heart rate monitor? I would love any suggestions or feedback you have on either and which you would buy if you could only buy one. Thanks so much!

Replies

• Crossfit_Mom_2_4
    Crossfit_Mom_2_4 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I just recently learned about the FitBit and have no personal first hand knowledge. I personally went from using the 'Bodybugg/Body Media" to a Polar RS300x. I purchased this particular HRM because it allows you to plug in your VO2 max and plot your zones. The zone burning method allows you to focus on which one is the most beneficial for fat burning. With this device and using the c25K app for running, along with incorporating weight training three days a week plus clean eating, in 90 days I am down 57lbs.

Hope this helps :0
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    The Fitbit really is only for monitoring your walking. It's not going to help you with weight lifting or any cardio type exercises unless it's walking and running activities. I think you want an HRM if you're going to do stuff like Aerobics and Zumba and such. I love my Fitbit but I also like to track how much I walk in a day to make sure I stay active enough. I use it for the treadmill and then use the timer and enter the activity minutes here and let MFP calculate an approximate burn.
  • kbarnick
    kbarnick Posts: 36
    Options
    I FitBit and HRM are really two very different things, and for two very different purposes. A heart rate monitor is more helpful when you work out. It can more accurately monitor how hard your are working. I have one and use it all the time when I work out. I like it, and although they are a lot of money, I like the more accurate numbers. I have a Timex one, it's not that hard to use (there was a very informative youtube video by someone not affiliated with the company), and I didn't have to spend much time reading the manual.

My hubby recently decided he wanted to get FitBits. He wanted to know more about his general activity level throughout the day. (FitBit = fancy step counter). It monitors our steps, floors climbed (I don't really get this though, I did not climb 14 flights of stair yesterday!), and can give you an estimate of how many calories you burn through general activity throughout the day. It cannot however monitor your heart rate, which is what you should be looking at when exercising. I've had my FItBit for 2 days know, and like it. It has been giving me more calories than MFP did. (I have my activity set to non-active and let FitBit add calories as I go through my day).

So really they both can be useful in there different ways.
  • jvnoonway
    jvnoonway Posts: 24
    Options
    I did LOADS of research when I decided that I needed SOME device to help me. In all my research, I conclude that the fitbit is no more than a glorified pedometer. A heart rate monitor will give you a better idea. Though, I chose to go with a Body Media Fit, its an arm band that measures other points besides heart rate. I have only had it a few weeks, but already love it. you shold check them out!
  • Rose_bee
    Rose_bee Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Fitbits are ok for daily activity, walking, and running.

For anything else, elliptical, swimming, hiking, etc you should go with a HRM.

I got a Polar FT40 that I LOVE, for about the same price as a fitbit. :)
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    For exercise it's gotta be a HRM. Fitbits are only useable for tracking daily activity via a pedometer mechanism. They can only track steps taken, so running and walking and star climbing are the ONLY forms of exercise you can track with them.
  • newcs
    newcs Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    HRM. If you want to use it for workouts, HRM is far more accurate for this. Fitbit is better for giving you an estimation of daily calories burned but you wear it all day. I believe it has more limitations when it comes to estimating workout calories burned as it measures based on movement rather than heart rate.

I got a Polar FT7 but would recommend the FT4 (one level down) because the FT7's extra features aren't worth it to me.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    FitBit for all all day tracking or walking/running activities

HRM for workouts.
  • MizSaz
    MizSaz Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    I love my fitbit, but I don't think it's what you're looking for. An HRM is going to be MORE accurate, but the only way to get real accuracy is basically to be in a lab, attached to machines.
  • ze_hombre
    ze_hombre Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I use both and would recommend both (although I would wait a month or two for the new FitBit Flex to come out).

FitBit isn't going to be good for logging exercise. Its not bad, just not ideal. I use the FitBit to track my non-exercise calories burnt and a Zephyr HXM and Endomondo or runtastic to track my runs.

HRM's are always going to be of more use for tracking exercise because each person is going to have different strides and gaits when they run. For example, I run on a treadmill mostly. If I run at speed 5 I do a 12 minute mile. If I run at speed 6, I do a 10 minute mile. The FitBit will register that I ran two miles, but the HRM will see the difference in how much harder I am working for the 10 minute mile vs. the 12.
  • tracymat
    tracymat Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I did LOADS of research when I decided that I needed SOME device to help me. In all my research, I conclude that the fitbit is no more than a glorified pedometer. A heart rate monitor will give you a better idea. Though, I chose to go with a Body Media Fit, its an arm band that measures other points besides heart rate. I have only had it a few weeks, but already love it. you shold check them out!

This is exactly what I was going to say. I have been using a Polar HRM for my workouts, but wanted a better idea of how many calories my body burns throughout the day so I just started using the Bodymedia arm band. This is my second day and I think I'm in love. It's VERY interesting. Only downfall so far is the arm band is kinda a pain in the *kitten*. I hope I get used to it.
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,803 Member
    Options
    FitBit for all all day tracking or walking/running activities

HRM for workouts.
    ^^^^This, I have both, both are great but not interchangable
  • Scarlett_S
    Scarlett_S Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I have the Body Media Fit. I love it. My specific goal was to see how much I was burning overall on a daily basis so I could adjust calories for weight loss accordingly. But it also has a feature where you can measure specific workouts, etc. It syncs with my iphone, measures my steps daily, tracks sleep, etc.
  • angiethone
    Options
    I own a fitbit that i don't use anymore. The device never synced wirelessly so i kept forgetting to connect it for downloads and charging. The wireless syncing problems have been addressed with the company--btw, customer service was excellent. You have to email them for support but they always responded promptly. Also, they replaced my fitbit without any hesitation. At one point the order was lost and it took a few weeks to straighten the issue out but they refunded my money --around 100$ and made sure I recieved my replacement fitbit.
  • BrawlerBella
    BrawlerBella Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I use both and would recommend both (although I would wait a month or two for the new FitBit Flex to come out).

FitBit isn't going to be good for logging exercise. Its not bad, just not ideal. I use the FitBit to track my non-exercise calories burnt and a Zephyr HXM and Endomondo or runtastic to track my runs.

^^True Story^^ I just bought a Polar FT7 as a back up.
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    My vote is for Bodymedia Fit too.
  • sandobr1
    sandobr1 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I also opted for both a HRM (polar ft4) and the Fitbit One, they are different for sure as others have stated. If I were only to choose one I would probably get the HRM as for now that is what I record as exercise, the FB is an interesting and sometimes motivating accessory. I like that it does stairs (it also does elevation in increments of 10 feet) so if you walk outside through up and down or elevated terrain it may record some of this as "stairs". I have not yet linked my FB to MFP as I have been kind of afraid to mess up my cals here and I know FB makes some adjustments to that, I just have not taken the plunge yet.

I am not sure if doing it again I would get the FB One, I like that it does stairs but the "sleep" function is not something I really use or need. I cannot recall if the FB one lower did stairs though, and the Flex that is coming out I know I would not want to wear it on my wrist all the time, I like the ciip, out of sight.

ETA: I do like that FB calculates calories burned for the day, I use IPOARM and this gives some clues to TDEE, of course like any calculator it is a glorified guess, but it seems fairly close. This way if I am moving more in a particular day I see my daily calorie burn go up, which may account for wanting/needing more food. Recently we spent the day at the Magic Kingdom and it tracked that we walked just over 9 miles in 10-12 hours in the park, so I saw the calorie burn going way up which allowed me to get a Dole Whip that day :happy:
  • Jaytee79
    Jaytee79 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I have a Fitbit One- and I love it for tracking steps, distance and my overall daily expenditure. But for my workouts I track it with my HRM...
  • wvgirlnfl
    wvgirlnfl Posts: 30
    Options

I agree! I have a Fitbit and I do use it every day and it helps me see how active I am but basically, it is a pedometer with bluetooth. It calculates steps and it is supposed to be good with running but I am not a runner. I use my HRM when I work out to get a better idea of calories burned.
  • MIM49
    MIM49 Posts: 255 Member
    Options

This is exactly what I was going to say. I have been using a Polar HRM for my workouts, but wanted a better idea of how many calories my body burns throughout the day so I just started using the Bodymedia arm band. This is my second day and I think I'm in love. It's VERY interesting. Only downfall so far is the arm band is kinda a pain in the *kitten*. I hope I get used to it.

I had a Fitbit but didn't like the inaccurate info it gave (credited me with climbing stairs that didn't exist, walking in my sleep, walking/steps riding in the car which all added up to unrealistic calorie burn). Switched to BodymediaFit. At first the armband bothered me but after a week (maybe less) I stopped noticing it altogether. In fact I have to be careful or I'll get in the shower with it. I also feel the info is correct. My activity is walking. Occasionally outside--and then I have compared the info from BMF with Runtastic and Runkeeper and it was very close in calorie burn. Usually I do Leslie Sansone Walk Away the Pounds and I have found the reported calorie burn to be within 10 calories each session so I feel it is pretty correct. I hope to get an elliptical and then I will get a HRM.