Need help with my grocery list

Options
So either today or tomorrow, I'm going grocery shopping for all my healthy foods for the week. I'm having a hard time thinking of meals and snacks that'll keep me going and keep me away from tempation! Plus, the whole 6-7 dollars a day for a salad thing just isn't in my budget. I love all fruits and most veggies, with the except of cauliflower (gross). I'm absolutely in love with rice and bread and all that, but I definitely have to cut all that out. Any suggestions for healthy shopping?

Replies

• lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    Most grocery stores are set up the same way. Shop the perimeter. I normally start with a meat (I am on a high protein diet), and go from there. So lets say you're having a chicken breast for supper, it's as simple as steaming some broccoli and cooking some brown rice. Eggs are amazing for everything, don't forget the fish, and go on Pinterest and look at some awesome recipies to try.
  • andrederosier
    andrederosier Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Do meal plan, figure about 1/4 plate your protein. 1/4 starch like potatoe or rice or noodles and half fruit/veggies. I found out canned veggies loaded with salt so get frozen with 0 mg sodium. Carrots or celery and some peanut butter make good snack. Banana, apple, pears whatnot good snacks too. I found it hard not to get sodium injected chicken breasts so found a butcher shop close by. Not only better quality chicken but found prices cheaper than grocery store too.
  • synthomarsh
    synthomarsh Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    one of my favorite just quick snacks to grab is different kinds of nuts, almonds and my favorite pistachios. and like they said shop the perimeter, avoid the microwavable stuff. Tuna is super good for you take a can of tuna some eggs some pickles and a little bit of mustard to make a healthy tuna salad, I usually always have some made and when I feel hungry grab a spoon full or make a half sandwich for a snack. eggs and tuna are the bread and butter to a high protein diet also some experience advice make sure you don't go to the grocery store while your hungry eat before you go. It may seem silly but I know when I am hungry i start shopping for what I want in the moment and I kinda forget about what I need for the week or month, I always make better choices when I am full at the grocery store
  • VpinkLotus
    VpinkLotus Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    Do you like salsa? I got some fresh salsa and am putting on eveything for flavor. Baked potao, salad, scrambled eggs. It's only 5 cals for the type I got in the produce section.
    I'm also buying froz veggies in bulk. That way I can add them to a meal super quick without thinking about it. I hate when I think Gee I wish I had some brocoli...cauliflower...etc. Froz means I never run out. Also great for a quick stir fry.
  • cosplayerkyo
    cosplayerkyo Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say you'd have to cut all rice and bread out. Just make sure it fits in your allowance.

One thing I like to eat if I'm cutting back bread is to wrap something in lettuce. A lettuce wrapped chicken burrito with some salsa, a sprinkle of cheese, and a tiny bit of rice... delicious.
  • jackpotclown
    jackpotclown Posts: 3,291 Member
    Options
    No :angry: \m/
  • VpinkLotus
    VpinkLotus Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    oh and also my new favorite snack on the planet is flavored mini rice cakes.. There are delish! They even make little 80 cal. packs.
  • melinda200208
    melinda200208 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I love almonds!!!! And I eat a hard boiled egg everyday. You could get stuff for salads. Make chicken ceasar salad, if you want rice get brown rice, get fresh garlic and olive oil. I like to put that on my veggies and put them in the oven for a while and top it off with a tiny bit of shredded cheese.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    < eats rice and bread daily. Everything in moderation.

I also buy the big 4 pound family pack of boneless chicken breast. I slice it up into small 3 ounce pieces and grill it up. Usually last a week.
  • MissSnickerdoodle
    MissSnickerdoodle Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter and apple slices, pineapples, pears, and grapes are my favorite snacks. Ants on a log is another classic if you like celery.
  • melinda200208
    melinda200208 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Salmon and tilapia are also good, and chicken. Stuffed peppers....
  • florasweets
    florasweets Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    You mentioned $6/$7 salads. The thing I do for salads is on Sunday I prep one for the entire week. I don't know how many in your family would be eating it but in mine there's myself and my hubby plus our 2yo that consistently eat salads (our 7yo) eats lunch at school right now.
    Anyway, I have a large lidded Rubbermaid container that I put all my salad fixin's in. **Romaine, baby spinach, red leaf lettuce, bell peppers, cucumber, broccolli, cauliflower (I know you don't like it, just leave it out) and red seedless grapes.** When I have everything in there I cover it with a double layer of paper towels and put it in the fridge upsidedown so that any water in the salad drains onto the towels. When the paper towels get soaked I change them out.
    Also when we pull out our individual servings we put the finishing touches on each salad... dressing, cheese, granola, deli meat, etc. Our salad lasts makes enough lunches to last til Thursday when we get the freshest lettuces possible.
  • raquel424
    raquel424 Posts: 38
    Options
    I have a family to feed so meal planning and making food list is very helpful. Plan you meals and list your ingredients to buy.
    One of my strategies to eat healthier through out the day is to buy the veggies i like for snacks, peel and chop (celery, broccoli,carrots,cauliflower, cucumber.....etc) and make a big mix platter like the ones to go at the store and just eat out of that all week. (it's easier to eat healthier when you set up and organize your shelves and fridge where healthy stuff is right at eye level.

Lunch can be toasted pumpernickel bread with low/no fat deli chicken/smoked meat/ tuna...etc, veggies , low cal sauce and side of those veggies that ready to grab. No harm in eating white rice so long you actually eat the proper serving size 1/2 cup....same goes for white pasta and all starches .

Buy the ziplock steam bags , I find these great for quick veggie sides with dinner. I make meat, steamed veggies and rice/potatoes...etc

Finally , avoid buying big bags of junk food or snacks. I make it a point to buy 100 cals portioned snacks for movie nights or treats here and there when I have the calories and want to treat myself, because I personally don't believe in depriving myself of what I love, I just make sure I can afford the calories and have the sugar, fat, carbs ALLOWANCE.

oh one last tip, anything boxed, canned and packaged : I look at the nutritional values of all brands and get what looks healthier (dressing, cereal, meats...etc)
  • emrogers
    emrogers Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    This is what I shop for on a weekly basis.

Chicken breasts
    Turkey rolls 93/7 ( or 93/7 ground sirloin)
    shrimp/tilapia fillets
    Organic Bulgarian Yogurt ( or just plain greek yogurt)
    quinoa
    raspberries/blackberries
    bananan
    organic apples
    red/yellow/green red bell peppers
    natural organic unsalted PB
    almonds
    liquid egg whites
    2 cartons of organic free range eggs
    onions
    kale/broccolli
    hemp seeds
    coconut oil ( if I run out)
    organic soy milk ( bc I have a toddler and I use it too)

So I take all of this and make every meal with it.
    I can make yogurt and berries with agave nectar for breakfast or a snack, etc I eat coconut oil out of the jar but sometimes I mix it in my yogurt
    I have quinoa in place of rice and oats, topped with banana, apples and 1 TBS or PB for breakfast
    I'll have cilantro lime qunioa with kale and liquid egg whites for breakfast
    I'll chicken breast and quinoa and kale/broccolli for dinner and lunches sometimes
    Possibilites are endless.
    Hope this helps some!
  • kbeckley11
    kbeckley11 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    make sure you don't go to the grocery store while your hungry eat before you go. It may seem silly but I know when I am hungry i start shopping for what I want in the moment and I kinda forget about what I need for the week or month, I always make better choices when I am full at the grocery store

I don't know if anyone else experiences this, but, don't eat too much before you go either. When I feel really full while shopping, nothing looks good to me. Then I get home, and wonder why I didn't buy enough food for the week.

My recommendation for a healthy snack is hummus with veggies. Broccoli, carrots, peppers all go great with hummus.
  • Sactown900
    Sactown900 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Make your own salads. I do every other day. Mine are based on Spinach. I spice them up with raw pistachios, dried cranberries, a diced chicken breast and grated low fat cheeses.

Also, I went "NO sugar - very little wheat" for this year. Since I don't buy packaged or canned foods, It makes my shopping much more "focused." I shop more Paleo now than ever before. This really helps to say no at the store.

I am down 20 lbs since 8/12/12, with 20 more to go, so it's working.
  • amann1976
    amann1976 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    you all eat some bland nasty boring foods...

when you go to the store buy what you like to eat... hell if you want some chips buy a bag of chips just dont eat the whole bag in one sitting. last night i ate a big *kitten* plate of fries with chicken cheese and wing sauce on them today i will probably eat something more sensible for dinner.

moderation and portion control will get you where you want to be and keep you there not going to the store buying a bunch of healthy crap that doesnt taste good and following the latest fad diets.

i hate when people look at me and say what have you been eating what kind of diet are you on... i eat food mutha f%$%a and i am not on any kind of diet.

rant over sorry if i offended anyone during my rant...
  • christimccarty
    Options
    My diet is fresh and not bland or boring at all! :)
  • MrsC160
    MrsC160 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    $6 - $7 a day for a salad! Yikes.... Don't buy convenience veggies

Buy a bag of carrots not baby carrots - you save anywhere from a .50 cents to a $1.00
    Buy celery not celery hearts - I have saved almost $2.00
    Buy heads of lettuce not bagged lettuce - again almost a $1.00 or more savings

Measure out your dressing - most dressing bottles have 16 servings in them... that is only 12 cents a serving for dressing my husband likes (I do buy that at Wal-Mart)

Sure, you have to do a little cleaning and prep work but it's worth the savings. I promise.

I can feed my husband a salad everyday - including 4oz of baked chicken, cheese, & dressing - for a little less than $10.00 a week

If you are just going to use a salad as a snack - I bet you can do it for even less. I have been know around my office to just cut up a green pepper and munch on that for my 2 o'clock snack.

Best of luck

*edit for missing words - helps to complete a thought before posting....
  • emrogers
    emrogers Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    My diet is fresh and not bland or boring at all! :)

I second this.