Do you drink green tea

lovingmyjaybird
lovingmyjaybird Posts: 153
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
I like iced tea, I like sweet tea, even pomegranite tea.. but Ihaven't tried green tea.. A friend of mine said it gave herabutt load of energy... Does it give you energy? What does it taste like ? lol.. I'm one of those people that refuse to try new things unless I am assured 10,000 times that it tastes good lol

Replies

• PaulaDygert
    PaulaDygert Posts: 148 Member
    I am one of those people too :) I started drinking green tea a few months ago and at first I didn't like it but now it has become my new "coffee" I have to have a cup when I get up in the morning. I like the honey one.
  • Thanks... My brother just walked up behind me as I was reading your reply and told me to go ahead and buy it, if I don't like it, he'll buy it from me.. that way I don't lose any money ..
    New coffee you say? So I'm guessing it does help with energy..
    I am one of those people too :) I started drinking green tea a few months ago and at first I didn't like it but now it has become my new "coffee" I have to have a cup when I get up in the morning. I like the honey one.
  • naugustyniak
    naugustyniak Posts: 836 Member
    I make sun tea with green tea. I love it. It took a bit to get used to. I do put a little Torani sugar free peach or raspberry flavoring in mine. It is loaded with antioxidants.
  • I like Green Tea, but I found it a little bitter at first. I try and stay away from adding sugar in my drinks but I got used to it. White tea is good too.
  • I like White Tea too, its less bitter I think.
  • snorker88
    snorker88 Posts: 179 Member
    I love Green Tea, it's amazing!! But I'm not keen on Green Tea with Cranberry, it smells and taste like cigarettes to me! Eurgggghhhh!

:drinker:
  • Edestiny7
    Edestiny7 Posts: 730 Member
    I drink green tea that I bought from a company online. Zhi I think. Anyway, here is an article from Prevention magazine that was on MSNBC yesterday. It talks about how drinking green tea helps you lose weight.

6 eating rules for faster weight loss Milk, whole grains, water can help you feel fuller

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/36084602/ns/health-diet_and_nutrition/?pg=7#Health_PVN_EatingRules
  • barbara6
    barbara6 Posts: 14
    I like green tea but my doctor told me you can get the same effect and antioxidants from plain old tea. I have to drink decaf. Not allowed to have caffeine. The caffeine is what gives you the energy and it's also an appetite increaser.
  • shanerylee
    shanerylee Posts: 298 Member
    I like it alot, chilled over ice. Starbucks got me hooked, they have a iced one, I get it without sweetener. The sugar ones have a ton of cals and the artificially sweetened tear up my stomach. Its good if you infuse with mint leaves. gives it a good taste.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Yeah, I love it! It doesn't give me energy but I like to drink it with my morning snack or breakfast to help hold me over 'til lunch 'cause it keeps me full longer. I'm drinking some now! I buy the big ?gallon? of Lipton Diet Green Tea with Citrus and if I drink the recommended serving, it lasts me about 2 work weeks and I honestly believe it helps me lose weight 'cause I don't eat as much since it keeps me full. It's also good to drink with those certain meals when I feel like I NEED soda... just a little flavor helps me not "need" soda but not "spoil" the meal with water, lol!
  • unknownndoll
    unknownndoll Posts: 161 Member
    hated regular green tea, but I like Chai Green Tea and Yogi Green Tea because it covers up the grassy flavor.
  • casshole
    casshole Posts: 68 Member
    I drink Lipton, atleast I believe thats what it is. They have green tea with citrus and raspberry, and they have it in diet. It tastes great! Arizona green tea is great too. You can get that in large cans and glass bottles for as little as 89 cents at a grocery store or a Walgreens, that way you can try the different varieties before commiting to something. I highly recommend both of these teas. Hope that helps! :D
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Green Tea with Lemon Grass decaf (no bitterness at all, simple smooth and light lemon taste)

mmm very tasty and smooth, lovely scent as well

I don't drink it for 'diet' purposes like some but I simply enjoy it, certainly does boost my energy (yes even decaf) but I rarely lack for energy unless my sleep schedule gets thrown off.

I drink it on the mornings on occasion and on those cold Winter days to warm up and relax. The lemongrass flavor, scent makes all the difference for me, very soothing.

I also drink a Japanese Tea with chamomile that is soooooo perfect at the end of the day as you're winding down, perfect before heading to bed. Having a difficult time finding the certain brand and blend I was getting and I don't want to invest in a case online. lol

Looking forward to making my green tea this Summer the Sun tea way, mm over ice bet that would be awesome:drinker:

Cheers to all the Green Tea lovers:wink:

Becca:heart:
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    If you find green tea (freshly steeped) to be too bitter - you've steeped it too long. Green tea is fairly delicate. You should only steep it for 2-3 minutes in 180 degree water. Same for white tea. Black tea, oolong, chai, rooibos (red tea)- 5-7 minutes, 210 degrees.

Levels of antioxidant and flavonoid value vary by tea - they're all good for you to some degree. Some have zero caffeine (like rooibos, not made from tea leaves), some are higher in caffeine (black, oolong).

If you want a really BOLD cup of green tea, try a gunpowder variety. It's got a smoky, mysterious flavor.

-Barneystinson, lover of tea :D
  • Missspenditall
    Missspenditall Posts: 301 Member
    The Turkey Hill Brand is wonderful! They have both diet and regular.
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    The Turkey Hill Brand is wonderful! They have both diet and regular.

Unfortunately that's not real tea...
  • jurgitafit
    jurgitafit Posts: 112
    I love green tea, especially the Japanese kind. I'd say, you need to acquire the taste for green tea, like you do for some cheeses or wines. :-) It has its own unique mild flavor. But two important things, if you're going to try hot green tea and make it yourself:

-- don't pour boiling water over the tea bag, it needs to be below boiling temperature (just cool the water down slightly, for a few mins).
    -- steep the tea bag for 2 or 3 minutes, no longer! The tea will get bitter (unless you like it this way)

I'd say, you try it and then say YES or NO to more mugs of this wonderful tea. You've got nothing to lose. :-) I love all natural teas in general, with no artificial flavorings of course, so I definitely recommend trying and enjoying this journey of discoveries. :-)
  • selbyhutch
    selbyhutch Posts: 531 Member
    Looking forward to making my green tea this Summer the Sun tea way, mm over ice bet that would be awesome:drinker:

I'm a big fan of green tea also. In the summer, I make sun tea with it & it turns out fantastic.
  • jurgitafit
    jurgitafit Posts: 112
    I like green tea but my doctor told me you can get the same effect and antioxidants from plain old tea. I have to drink decaf. Not allowed to have caffeine. The caffeine is what gives you the energy and it's also an appetite increaser.

It's the first time ever I hear caffeine as an appetite increaser. I know that it's an appetite suppressant, quite the opposite. However, overdoing on caffeine (having more than 300mg a day= about two 8oz. cups of coffee) is harmful to health.
  • IrishChik
    IrishChik Posts: 465 Member
    Green tea is my drink of choice. I like the lemon honey ginseng variety. I drink it warm in the winter, and chilled in the summer. Even made my own recipe of starbucks green tea latte.
This discussion has been closed.