Anyone know of a cheap HRM?

jamie31
jamie31 Posts: 568 Member
edited September 20 in Fitness and Exercise
Hey I have been looking for a decent HRM that will record (roughly) how many calories I have burned in a workout. I have been doing the Insanity workouts and recording them as Aerobics, high impact but I know that I am burning more calories that what the database says. Anyways, I was wondering if anyone knew where I could get a decently priced one?

Replies

• naugustyniak
    naugustyniak Posts: 836 Member
    You get what you pay for. I got a Polar, paid about $100 for it and love it. I have had it 2 years and have not had to replace the battery yet. I looked around and also got opinions from here and most said go with a better one than a cheap one. Just my opinion.
  • try craigslist
  • I have the Polar FT4 and I love it . I paid 140$ for it at a sports store but you could probably find it on amazon or ebay. It has a comfortale chest strap that is easily washable. The watch also counts calories burned and saves in your data so you can go back and check where you heart rate was at and where it stayed the most during your workout. And my number reason for buying it was because it has an alarm that sounds when you've gone to far :)

Good luck!
  • jdelot
    jdelot Posts: 397 Member
    I bought a Timex HRM from ****'s Sporting Goods. Paid right around $70. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles, but it does what I need it to do.
  • sjcply
    sjcply Posts: 817 Member
    I got a IGYM hrm from academy sports and it was around $40 and has worked great, I have only had it about 3 months but so far so good!
  • jehan
    jehan Posts: 155 Member
    I've got a timex t5g971. its around $40 at amazon.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    I use a Reebok Precision XT and LOVE IT. I've used it for a year and a half. I bought mine for about $25. I'm sure you can look on eBay and Amazon to see what is out there. Whatever you get, go for one with a chest strap. I cannot work out without mine on!
  • emarcia28
    emarcia28 Posts: 140 Member
    I got my Polar FT40 from ebay for 95$ & they retail for about 180$. So defiantly check Ebay!

This is a rating of best HRMs:

http://www.consumersearch.com/heart-rate-monitors

-Polar FT60 is first for $215..a bit much for me!
    -The second best is a Timex Personal Trainer T5G971 for like 60$
    -Third is Omron HR-100C for like 30$

Good luck!! :flowerforyou:
  • katya143
    katya143 Posts: 313 Member
    bump!
  • andyxbear
    andyxbear Posts: 269 Member
    I got my Polar FT40 from ebay for 95$ & they retail for about 180$. So defiantly check Ebay!

This is a rating of best HRMs:

http://www.consumersearch.com/heart-rate-monitors

-Polar FT60 is first for $215..a bit much for me!
    -The second best is a Timex Personal Trainer T5G971 for like 60$
    -Third is Omron HR-100C for like 30$

Good luck!! :flowerforyou:

Thanks! I need to get one of these this weekend.
  • jamie31
    jamie31 Posts: 568 Member
    Thanks for the awesome feedback! appreciate it
  • I need to get one too but don't have alot of money to spend.
  • HawkeyeGuy
    HawkeyeGuy Posts: 183
    To the folks that need an HRM, I believe I have two or three 'extras'. (One Polar, one Nike) I'm a junkie, and when I used to do marathons, I upgraded a couple times. Not 100% sure if I have the chest straps, but they should be cheap to replace. Shoot me a message on here, and I'll give them to you for nothing - as long as they help motivate you, and you pay it forward at some point. Deal?
  • got mine at walmart for $27
  • mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    I started out with a cheap HRM, and it wasn't long before I upgraded to a Polar F6. It would have been cheaper for me to get the pricier watch in the first place. As the poster stated above, you get what you pay for.
  • cmw72
    cmw72 Posts: 390 Member
    If price is your prinary concern, I'd go for a Timex model. There are several in the $50-$60 range that have very nice feature sets for the price. They are also well received on Amazon, where the user reviews are overwhelmingly favorable.

I came very close to purchasing one myself before settling on the Polar FT60.

The Timex site also has a guided tool that can help you choose the one that is right for you. Be advised that the prices on the Timex site are MSRP, not what you would actually expect to pay. Actual prices are considerably less.
  • msciccone1
    msciccone1 Posts: 288 Member
    Hey I have been looking for a decent HRM that will record (roughly) how many calories I have burned in a workout. I have been doing the Insanity workouts and recording them as Aerobics, high impact but I know that I am burning more calories that what the database says. Anyways, I was wondering if anyone knew where I could get a decently priced one?

Hi I also do Insanity and have the MioPink heart rate monitor ($59.99 at Amazon) and posting the workouts under "Calisthenics (push-ups, sit-ups) vigorous effort" will be around 20 calories under what you actually burn with any Insanity workout. That is what I post it under. Keep Digging Deeper :wink:
This discussion has been closed.