Frustrated... weight gain with INSANITY!?!

Options
Feeling very frustrated right now - 2 weeks into INSANITY and I've gained 2 lbs while following the workouts AND the nutrition guide. My husband is equally as frustrated... he has gained 1.5 lbs. He only has about 10 lbs to lose, however I could stand to lose about 40, so seeing the scale go up is very disheartening! We are not taking measurements until Sunday, so I guess we won't know until then exactly where we stand, but both of our attitudes completely changed once getting on the scale this morning. And we both really like INSANITY too, so we are at a loss right now. Is this normal, to gain before we lose? Anyone have any words of advice with the INSANITY program and their experience with it? Thanks!

Replies

• mixtaplix
    mixtaplix Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert....but my guess is at 2 weeks in, it's probably water retention in the muscles as they repair themselves. Someone with more experience/knowledge can probably give you a better or more concise answer.....
  • carlysuzanne85
    carlysuzanne85 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert....but my guess is at 2 weeks in, it's probably water retention in the muscles as they repair themselves. Someone with more experience/knowledge can probably give you a better or more concise answer.....

Yup, read this, feel better, and keep pushing play :)

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/595473-why-the-scale-goes-up-with-a-new-workout-program-must-read
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    that weight could literally vary by water or if you have dropped a deuce or not.

Just keep working out and stop stressing the scale. Actually- throw the scale away. it's practically useless- unless you're measuring your food with it.
  • mreeves261
    mreeves261 Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    Tomorrow I am restarting week 4 due to a cold sitting me on the sidelines for a few days. I will say this about Insanity, take your scale and put it away until your fit test days!!! When you retake your first measurement they will have changed I promise you that! You are probably retaining some water as was previously stated. Also keep in mind you are burning fat and building muscle. 1 pound is one pound regardless of muscle or fat, it's just that 1 pound of lean muscle takes up less space that 1 pound of fat. Keep at it, you will get the results!!
  • patrickblo13
    patrickblo13 Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    I agree with all of the previous posters. My wife was super frustrated with Insanity when she was on the scale. But when we took measurements it was a different story. My first round I only lost 8lbs but a ton of inches!!! So don't focus on the scale, keep pushing yourself and it will payoff.
  • ndnmomma
    ndnmomma Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    I gained weight with Insanity when I started to, it goes with intense training and water retention. It really was disheartening, but stick with it I really started to see the results by week three and really in month two. Also I didn't lose a ton of weight on this program, but I did lose a bunch of inches. It is worth the effort trust me, just keep pushing play and digging deep. I did two rounds of Insanity and a round of Asylum, and I am more than happy with the results. Good luck!!
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Insanity is a program that states it is for advanced users only. Yes people of all fitness levels can do it if they modify extensively, but it is very clearly an advanced level program and even beachbody markets it as such. That being said, there is a reason why you saw the number on the scale go up when you started Insanity that pertains to water weight gain as muscles repair that is basic elementary knowledge for anyone adopting a more fitness oriented lifestyle, and the fact that you don't know this says you probably should not yet be attempting anything that says "for advanced users."
  • Microfiber
    Microfiber Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    and the fact that you don't know this says you probably should not yet be attempting anything that says "for advanced users."

Nonsense KMT