The splits and bridge

Options
So when I was younger I could do the splits and a bridge with no problem but now I am really lacking flexibility. Does anybody know of a good routine to boost flexibility? Preferably one that is free online somewhere like YouTube. I really want to be able to do these things again!
Thanks for any help

Replies

• CJ_Holmes
    CJ_Holmes Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    Wow! I just spent hours trying to figure out the same thing! I was hoping to find an app similar to "100" pushups for splits, but no dice. I did google "how to do splits" and found a few step by step guides online, but no promising videos. Luckily, it seems like the progressions are pretty straightforward.

I did this Rodney Yee "Power Yoga for flexibility" video every day one summer and got waaaaay more flexible. Thinking of ordering that again and just adding my bridge training on the end.

Good luck!
  • miamiink89
    miamiink89 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Yeah I spent time looking for an app too but had no luck either :(
    Thanks I will check out that DVD. Good luck to you too :)
  • CJ_Holmes
    Options
    I was hoping some other people would chime in! We can't be the only ones with these aspirations!
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    Yoga, lots of dvds and youtube videos available.
  • laylaness
    laylaness Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Blogilates might have something. For splits, you need something to stretch and open up hip flexors. You can also try ballet plies, with turnout, and tendus. You can find lots of illustrations online for those if you're not familiar. And lots of stretching your hips with therabands.
  • CJ_Holmes
    Options
    Thanks! I have been reading...armed with a small amount of info about isometric contractions, I'm already seeing a great deal of progress in my flexibility!
  • emilymonnig
    Options
    There is more than one kind of yoga, and I've found that "yin yoga" focuses on flexibility rather than repeating flows. There is an incredibly flexible yoga girl who is kind enough to post videos on YouTube - her name is Jordan and her YouTube thing is Yogitoes123. I use a Grishko extension band rather than a cloth yoga strap for my flex/yin poses so that I can gradually increase the intensity during the 3-5 minute hold. Also, you can work on standing splits against a wall until you can do them on the floor - it sounds hard, but it's actually a lot easier!
  • CJ_Holmes
    Options
    There is more than one kind of yoga, and I've found that "yin yoga" focuses on flexibility rather than repeating flows. There is an incredibly flexible yoga girl who is kind enough to post videos on YouTube - her name is Jordan and her YouTube thing is Yogitoes123. I use a Grishko extension band rather than a cloth yoga strap for my flex/yin poses so that I can gradually increase the intensity during the 3-5 minute hold. Also, you can work on standing splits against a wall until you can do them on the floor - it sounds hard, but it's actually a lot easier!

Thank you so much for the advice! I will check those out! And actually, the standing thing makes sense- seems like it would be easier that holding myself up with my arms.