Calling all dancers!

Options
...especially ones with fitness gadgets

For those dancers with heart rate monitors or pedometers, how do your different dance styles compare?

I suspect that my list would look something like this, from most burned to fewest, but I don't actually have a gadget, so it is perceived effort:

Lindy hop/ contra dancing
Zumba
Fusion/ jamming out to favorite tunes/ hoop dancing
Balboa/ waltz/ two step
Blues

Replies

• Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    I do pole dancing - does that count? According to my HRM, I burn about 10 calories per minute if I am doing intermediate moves. 5 calories per minute if I'm doing beginner stuff. I'm still learning the advanced stuff. :smile:
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    I do pole dancing - does that count? According to my HRM, I burn about 10 calories per minute if I am doing intermediate moves. 5 calories per minute if I'm doing beginner stuff. I'm still learning the advanced stuff. :smile:

Cardio and strength? Of course it counts!
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    Oh, I know it counts for exercise. After just a few minutes, my heart is pounding and I'm pouring sweat! I just wasn't sure where it fell on your spectrum of "dancers." :laugh:
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    My husband and I do ballroom and latin on a Wednesday, and my fitbit records the activitly levels as

Jive
    Foxtrot/quickstep

Waltz
    Rumba

I expect it will get higher when I get better at it, and can dance the whole session instead of stopping to laugh at our mistakes.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options

I expect it will get higher when I get better at it, and can dance the whole session instead of stopping to laugh at our mistakes.

Funny, I always figure I am burning more flailing around like a maniac than looking graceful. The one exception is contra dancing because I can always add in extra twirls once I have the basic patterns done.