Nutrition is SIMPLE. Agree or No?

Options
*Disclaimer: This was posted in another fitness forum by someone else. I like how succinct (simple) the post is. A year plus into my weight loss and fitness journey of trying many different things, I have found this approach to be true (and the most sustainable long term). So I am reposting on MFP :)...

There are only 2 requirements:

1. Watch your calories. Why? Your body fat levels have by far the biggest impact on your health. Thus, calories are the most important thing to manage.

2. Eat your veggies. Why? Almost all, if not all, of your nutrients come from vegetables. I don't mention fruits because while they offer the same nutrient benefits, they have the disadvantage of having, relatively, much more calories. Theoretically, you may be able to skip vegetables and get all your nutrients from a multivitamin, but that's assuming there aren't other essential and micro nutrients that you'd be missing. That's a risk I'm not willing to take.

2 exceptions:
If you're lifting weights, eat more protein.
If you have a medical condition, then consult your doctor on how to modify your diet.

Replies

• KBGirts
    KBGirts Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    I think nutrition in itself IS pretty simple. What makes it complicated to most people is all the conflicting information we constantly get from the media, friends and family, advertisements, talk shows, doctors, researchers, etc. I think people make it more difficult than it is, unfortunately.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    I definitely agree. Doing att of those things got me from where I started, to where I am now.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    It's preparing all those veggies, and turning them into something appetizing, that makes things complicated.
  • MyBodyMyMachine
    Options
    A year ago I would have agreed. But knowing what I know now, I have to say that I feel LOST. I realize now that I've been under-eating significantly for quite some time based on my activity levels. I thought I had done the math and was doing everything right. I now find myself "skinny fat" and lost in terms of how to shed body fat. The more people I talk to the more they make it sound like it is some exact science that you have to figure out; intake + macro's + type of workout, etc. What I used to think came down to garbage in, garbage out now looks like rocket science.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    It really is simple. People jump through all these hoops to overcomplicate it because they refuse to believe it can be that simple.
  • MissFitee
    MissFitee Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I disagree. Nutrition is, imo, very complex. There is so much to know about it and so much that we still havent figured out. However, there's little reason for the average person to know ALL of that information.
    Losing weight, and staying healthy is, on the other hand pretty simple and pretty much boils down to the points that you mentioned.

So.. nutrition - not so simple
    Staying healthy overall - simple
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options
    If you are simply trying to be healthy and lose weight then nutrtion is simple: Eat less than you need to maintain weight and you lose weight. Eat nutrient dense foods and you will be healthy.

It gets hard when you are competitive athlete or bodybuilder or have goals to reach very low BF%.
  • patbeharry
    Options
    I completely agree.....in fact I believe that most things in life are simple if we allow them to be. Things appear to be complicated when we lose sight of the big picture and overthink the details. Think simply and logically and clarity will prevail. Just my humble opinion :)
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    It really is simple. People jump through all these hoops to overcomplicate it because they refuse to believe it can be that simple.

This
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    yes its simple but the billion dollar diet industry screws with people's minds. low fat, no fat, low carb, meatless, gluten free, dairy free BLAH BLAH BLAH i can see how it can seem not so simple if you fall for all the hype.
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    altho i will add many people are very ignorant as to what nutrition even is. Many people have no idea what a "nutrient" is.
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    Yep. I say we just shut down the forums now.

Oh wait you forgot TOM. That is apparently a HUGE factor in nutrition.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    The problem is it's really not that simple if you're concerned about health and not just bodyweight. Although eating veggies is very important, I'd say in terms of health, that's almost as important as watching your calories.
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options

Yep.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    I disagree. Nutrition is, imo, very complex. There is so much to know about it and so much that we still havent figured out. However, there's little reason for the average person to know ALL of that information.
    Losing weight, and staying healthy is, on the other hand pretty simple and pretty much boils down to the points that you mentioned.

So.. nutrition - not so simple
    Staying healthy overall - simple

This. I wouldn't be dropping $$$$$$$ on a nutrition degree if it was that simple.
  • dougii
    dougii Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    yes its simple but the billion dollar diet industry screws with people's minds. low fat, no fat, low carb, meatless, gluten free, dairy free BLAH BLAH BLAH i can see how it can seem not so simple if you fall for all the hype.

Except that Gluten and Dairy allergies actually exist and if you have ever lived with someone who has suffered from either of these issues you would realize that BLAH BLAH BLAH is not appropriate for them.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

Except that Gluten and Dairy allergies actually exist and if you have ever lived with someone who has suffered from either of these issues you would realize that BLAH BLAH BLAH is not appropriate for them.

True - but I believe this poster was referring to all the people that don't have any medical reason to be gluten- or dairy-free that seem to think they need to be because Dr. Knownothing tells them they need to be to lose weight.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

This

^yep, this
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    More than nutrition being "simple" is that nutrition is "key." Proper mix and amounts of nutrients are key to healthy living long haul. Often people are looking for a simple magic bullet and there isn't one. In contrast to "just fast 2 days a week," or "just cut out gluten," or "drink this healthy vinegar mix," eating a properly balanced diet is complex. But it is also key, the only key, to long term weight control and health.

(Does that sound too preachy? I'm my own audience and I need reminding. So I am speaking most archly to myself.)
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options

This

Deserves to be quoted again.