Switching to C25k

Options
I've been doing the interval training mode on my treadmill (1/2 min running, 1.5 min walking) for sixty minutes every other day and... Well, it's a workout, but there's no real progression to it. If I go faster, then my walking starts being jogging. If I go uphill at speed, my knees pop and I fall over once I get off. And it was just wearing me down - I could only go every other day because the days in between I was way too sore. And then I figured, "hey, I can run for half a minute; maybe I can run for a minute?" So today I tried the first day of the C25K plan for the treadmill, switching between 3 and 5mph. And y'know what? It's great! I finished my half hour feeling sweaty and well-worked, not exhausted and abused. I had just enough energy to spend some time on weights and abs before stretching. I even went for 1.5 minutes for the last round of running (is it really running at 5mph?) to see how much work I had to do before next week, and managed NOT to fall off the treadmill.
Now all I have to do is cross my fingers that I wake up tomorrow still able to move all of my limbs.
So cheers to me, who hasn't run for anything in the last ten years. And cheers to all of you, who inspired me to give it a shot.

Replies