Starting tomorrow! Tips here please!

Options
Hey everyone! My names Katelyn!
In 2010 I weighed over 200lbs. I had just gone through a breakup and done P90X with my best friend before he left for the Navy. Now, I haven't gained all of it back but I want to get to my ideal 165lbs. Im 5'7" I weigh around 180lbs (will know for sure tomorrow)

I know Im gonna kick my own *kitten* with cardio and some strength. I am really looking for support and help to keep this going. Im tired of being unhappy and stressed about weight. I want to be healthy, already cut out soda, don't eat fast food and I'm using MFP on my iPad to keep me on track.

So ladies, whatever's worked for you as far as fitness and eating, I plan on doing the 30 day squat challenge (my thighs and butt needs it). But anything else? Jillian Michaels dvd's also will be accompanying me for days I cant make it to the gym.
Also, for any of the ladies who have more boobage, what do you use in the gym to strap those badboys down? TIPS PLEASE!

I cant wait to post my progress and also its my dream to wear a bikini and look fantastic in it!

-Katelyn!

Replies

• Imadarkswan
    Imadarkswan Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Hey Katelyn,

Good for you on deciding to get the weight off, but I have a questions for ya. Why start tomorrow? start right now! :)
  • katelovelyyy
    katelovelyyy Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Moms gotta add me back on the gym plan! Tomorrow after work Im going!
  • ashleymcn01
    ashleymcn01 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Hi Katelyn,

When I was at my heaviest back in May 2011 (169lbs), I started walking, and by the end of the year I had dropped 30lbs. I started out on flat plains going a couple of miles per walk, roughly 4 days a week. I then really started to see the weight coming off and challenged myself to walk further, working up to 4.5-5 miles per trip and found some great hills in my neighborhood, often getting out around 7:30AM, 4-5 times per week. I found that moving at a pace of roughly 15 miles per minute was a "speedy" pace and eventually worked up to running short distances within my walks.

I found a station on I Heart Radio under the Dance category called "Spin Cycle" that is mostly a continuous dance beat type music where the beats per minute is 130BPM. I also downloaded some continuous 130BPM Podcast that last over an hour so I would keep the same pace continuously. I walk to that beat so it's definitely not a leisurely stroll, I walk like I'm on a mission!!

Of course I changed my eating habits and up until a few weeks ago I have been able to maintain my weight. Since I've started walking again and cut the calories, I dropped 4lbs in a week.

So to answer your question, walking/running has been a life changer for me. Whether you are able to hit the streets outside or on a treadmill in your gym, move at a fast pace, challenging yourself with hills, for a good 45 minutes. You will without a doubt start to see the additional weight fall off. As far as food, my diary is open if you ever need to see how I manage a 1200 calorie diet.

Oh, and although I don't have a huge chest, definitely invest in a good Nike Compression sports bra. They keep the girls in their place during high-cardio type activity.

Best of luck!
    Ashley
  • katelovelyyy
    Options
    Thanks Ashley!
    Yeah definitely cardio is gonna be my main goal! I love cardio especially when I've got my music with me :D
    Im also wondering about the 1200 calorie diet lol thats what MFP has for me! Im sure Ill adjust Its just gonna be harder! Cant wait to hit the gym tomorrow!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Since you have little to lose, don't have an aggressive weight loss goal as you want to do whatever you can to maintain your muscle mass. Set your goal to 1 lb per week max. Also, a good weight training program, along with protein, can help maintain your muscle. And since muscle is more lean than fat, the more muscle you have, the tighter and leaner your body will be. It's a lot easier to maintain your muscle than it is to build new muscle. If it makes you feel better, the average women I know and have worked with eats 1700-2100 calories. There is NO reason to starve yourself with eating 1200 calories. And if you under eat, you will just end up increase the chances of catabolizing lean body mass.
  • katelovelyyy
    Options
    I know Im just eating what was reccomended for my height and weight and goals. A trainer at my gym said between 1200-1400 calories would be good for me. Along with cardio and strength!
  • bonitacash08
    bonitacash08 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Hey Katelyn,

Good for you on deciding to get the weight off, but I have a questions for ya. Why start tomorrow? start right now! :)
    Moms gotta add me back on the gym plan! Tomorrow after work Im going!

My tip would be to not rely on the gym and Jillian as your only forms of exercise. If there's a night that you don't feel like going, or you get bored of that DVD, you'll end up not doing anything. There are tons of videos on Youtube and even on here that could give you a workout to start tonight. The only reason I stress this is because in the past, any time I put a future start date on my weight loss plan, it failed. I started MFP on a random Thursday afternoon and just went from there. You don't have to start "fresh" or on a certain day of the week. As soon as you think, "hey I want to get healthy" just go from there!

Good luck!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/903628-one-year-of-barbells-and-ice-cream-my-story-so-far-pics

Here is a good example of what happens when you concentrate on weight training.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, many trainers know jack about nutrition. If you only want to lose about 15 lbs, follow psulemon's advice. I just ran a quick check, given your numbers, and you could easily get there eating just under 2000 Calories a day if you're working out 3x per week.
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    I agree that with so little to lose, you shouldn't be so aggressive. I'm also 5'7", a good deal older than you are, came here with 15 pounds to lose in mid-January, and have never had my net goal set below 1660 (total daily calories usually range between 1800-2500 depending on exercise). I'm more than halfway to goal, and eat enough so I don't feel deprived.
  • katelovelyyy
    Options
    No but I do have to work around my job, my boyfriend and fit it in somewhere. I'm starting tonight after a shift. I'm starting as soon as my mom was able to add me in her gym plan. I'm not relying on the gym. I also have hiking and biking and it's mostly relying on myself.
  • cubbies77
    cubbies77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    If you're working out that much, you'll need more than 1200-1400 calories per day, especially if you don't eat your exercise calories back. You don't want your net calories (calories eaten minus calories burned) to end up under 1200.

Try to set your MFP to a half-pound or one pound since you only have 15 pounds to lose.
  • Rose_bee
    Rose_bee Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone! My names Katelyn!
    In 2010 I weighed over 200lbs. I had just gone through a breakup and done P90X with my best friend before he left for the Navy. Now, I haven't gained all of it back but I want to get to my ideal 165lbs. Im 5'7" I weigh around 180lbs (will know for sure tomorrow)

I know Im gonna kick my own *kitten* with cardio and some strength. I am really looking for support and help to keep this going. Im tired of being unhappy and stressed about weight. I want to be healthy, already cut out soda, don't eat fast food and I'm using MFP on my iPad to keep me on track.

So ladies, whatever's worked for you as far as fitness and eating, I plan on doing the 30 day squat challenge (my thighs and butt needs it). But anything else? Jillian Michaels dvd's also will be accompanying me for days I cant make it to the gym.
    Also, for any of the ladies who have more boobage, what do you use in the gym to strap those badboys down? TIPS PLEASE!

I cant wait to post my progress and also its my dream to wear a bikini and look fantastic in it!

-Katelyn!

As a 34DDD/36DD I have issues with finding a good sports bra. I eventually had to go to a specialty retailer in my town. They had a wonderful selection of sports bras in my size. The ones I settled on are good enough I don't have to double up! :)

For exercise: I walk for 30 minutes during my lunch break 2 or 3 times a week, and I spent 35-40 minutes on an elliptical twice a week. I'm just starting to get in shape, so as I improve my fitness, I'll be getting on the elliptical more frequently.

I'm 5'2", I net 1400 calories a day (or at least, that's my goal, some days I go over and I'm closer to 1500). I eat back most of my exercise calories. I started at 148 lbs and have about 25 - 30 lbs to lose.
  • katelovelyyy
    Options
    So what I'm wondering is should I focus more on cardio or strength? Or a bit of both?
  • cubbies77
    cubbies77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Both.

Cardio is good for an aerobic workout and conditioning your heart and lungs. Strength training is good because it will shape your muscles and keep you from looking "flabby" as you lose more and more weight. It helps prevent losing lean body mass instead of fat.

Muscles also help burn calories. It can take a while to build muscle, though, and I don't think women can build muscles on a calorie deficit, so don't get discouraged. Just keep working them and conditioning them. Once you're at goal weight, you can increase your calories/protein as necessary if you want to get more buff. :)

I don't know a ton about building muscle, but I'm sure other posters can help you with that. I just posted what I've gleaned from the forums.
  • katelovelyyy
    Options
    So focus on cardio until at my goal weight?
  • BunnieMommie
    BunnieMommie Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Congrats on getting started!!!!

I have to agree with others, don't restrict yourself to that low of calories. And as someone else said, not all trainers are nutritionists.

I have lost about 25 lbs buy watching my food intake and exercise. Not saying I totally eat clean 100% of the time. But most of the time I eat good (no white bread, white rice and truly limit processed foods). Before my hubby got ill, I was in the gym five days a week during only 30 minutes of cardio (three days) and seeing my trainer twice a week. I've seen great results.

Do both. Cardio to keep your heart and lungs healthy. Strength/weights to build muscle and tone.

If you can afford to buy a good bra (search the forums for what others like and recommend), then do it. I'm doing the cheap thing and using two sports bra at the moment. It keeps the girls down when my trainer has me jumping around and stuff in the gym.

Good luck!!! I'm sure you'll meet your goals since you seem so excited!
  • foleyshirley
    foleyshirley Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options

No, start strength right away. You will have more success in ending up with the body you want. And listen to the other posters telling you to eat more than 1200!!
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options

No, start strength right away. You will have more success in ending up with the body you want. And listen to the other posters telling you to eat more than 1200!!

This!
  • PosterGuy1
    PosterGuy1 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I know a lot of people disagree with this, but I say eat clean for the first few months. I began this journey on 1/1, and eating clean has served me well.